Windows 10: A Question About Macrium Reflect

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    15 Nov 2017 #21

    cereberus said: View Post
    By the way, I recommend you now add MRF as a boot entry from Other Tasks menu. In most cases, you will not even need to boot from a flash drive except if drive fails or is very badly corrupted or gets wiped.
    I forgot about that. Thanks for the tip. Is there a tutorial on here for that?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,290
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64
       15 Nov 2017 #22

    Hi,
    After you make an image go to the restore section and on the right side of the just made image there are several listings verify is one of the listings.

    On the recovery cd/ flash media after it finds a system image click on it and then it will show the same listing where again verify is there.

    I start just for win-10 creating system images with the recovery media instead of inside win-10
    Less items moving around apps/........
    I always enjoyed this video
    Create Backup Image with Macrium Reflect by Britec - YouTube
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    15 Nov 2017 #23

    Thanks Thrashzone.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Nov 2017 #24

    Runnerbean said: View Post
    I forgot about that. Thanks for the tip. Is there a tutorial on here for that?
    It's explained in tutorial, in a TIP box in Part Two Step 7: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Nov 2017 #25

    Kari said: View Post

    It's explained in tutorial, in a TIP box in Part Two Step 7: Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials
    Yes,..I did just revisit that actually and noticed that you had it there as an Optional method. I see you personally don't recommend that though, preferring to use the Recovery USB instead. I think I would prefer that too rather than do it within Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Nov 2017 #26

    Runnerbean said: View Post
    I see you personally don't recommend that though, preferring to use the Recovery USB instead. I think I would prefer that too rather than do it within Windows.
    I do not know how you came to that conclusion? Adding Macrium to Windows boot menu is the second thing I always do after a clean install, first thing being installing Macrium Reflect.

    I use Macrium USB very seldom, in fact almost never. I usually use the boot menu option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Nov 2017 #27

    Kari said: View Post

    I do not know how you came to that conclusion? Adding Macrium to Windows boot menu is the second thing I always do after a clean install, first thing being installing Macrium Reflect.
    I use Macrium USB very seldom, in fact almost never. I usually use the boot menu option.
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

    Part Five
    Restore a system backup
    2.) Although restoring an image backup is fully possible when started from Windows desktop, I recommend restoring only when PC is booted with Macrium Rescue device you created in Part 2. An old school geek as I am, I get bad feeling when replacing system files on a running system, therefore always using restore from WinPE, booting to Macrium Rescue environment instead of Windows
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 13,973
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Nov 2017 #28

    Runnerbean said: View Post
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect Backup Restore Tutorials

    Part Five
    Restore a system backup
    2.) Although restoring an image backup is fully possible when started from Windows desktop, I recommend restoring only when PC is booted with Macrium Rescue device you created in Part 2. An old school geek as I am, I get bad feeling when replacing system files on a running system, therefore always using restore from WinPE, booting to Macrium Rescue environment instead of Windows
    OK, I see I have caused this misunderstanding by myself.

    When restoring an image Macrium needs to get full access to absolutely everything which is not always possible if Windows is online. Starting restore from desktop, at some point Macrium can't continue and informs you that it needs to restart to PE to finalize restore process. I am old school. I prefer not even start restore process from desktop but instead boot to Macrium PE and run restore when Windows is offline.

    That's just my recommendation, only to use restore when booted to Macrium PE, nothing more.

    I've now edited the part in tutorial you quoted, it is now as follows:

    2.) Although restoring an image backup is fully possible when started from Windows desktop, I recommend restoring only when PC is booted to Macrium Rescue console (PE), either by selecting Macrium Rescue from Windows boot menu or booting with Macrium Rescue device you created in Part 2. An old school geek as I am, I get bad feeling when replacing system files on a running system, therefore always using restore from WinPE, booting to Macrium Rescue environment instead of Windows

    Personally, I can't even remember when was the last time I've used Macrium USB. I have it on Windows boot menu which launches Macrium PE from RAM disk.

    Of course if Windows drive is totally inaccessible, HDD corrupted or something similar, you can't boot to Macrium Rescue on RAM disk. In that case you will need the USB boot device. I'm not saying you don't need the USB, I am just saying that if and when possible, I'd rather use boot menu / RAM disk option.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,422
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       15 Nov 2017 #29

    Although restoring an image backup is fully possible when started from Windows desktop
    @Kari
    might to elaborate a little bit ? How is this fully possible while Windows is running ? The minute you hit <Finish> button, Macrium will stop and tell you it cannot lock the drive and give you the choice to boot into WinPE provided if only you have already set up the "Recovery Boot Menu Option".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	164025
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Nov 2017 #30

    topgundcp said: View Post
    @Kari
    might to elaborate a little bit ? How is this fully possible while Windows is running ? The minute you hit <Finish> button, Macrium will stop and tell you it cannot lock the drive and give you the choice to boot into WinPE provided if only you have already set up the "Recovery Boot Menu Option".
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	164025
    Yeah, Macrium Reflect will not let you restore an image to a drive with OS, if that same drive is the current boot drive.

    However, Macrium Reflect will backup the current OS drive whilst running same OS. Many say this is not a great idea and you should boot from winpse to Reflect to backup. This is predicated on use of historical imaging tools that were less reliable.

    This is not applicable nowadays. If one thinks about it, it would not be possible to run scheduled backups otherwise (winpse version does not handle scheduled backups).

    So, in simple terms, you cannot restore images to OS drive whilst runnning same OS. You can RELIABLY backup images from OS drive whilst running same OS.

    I have very rarely backed up OS drive using WinPSE version.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

    Related Threads
    If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact it is much more, giving more than any other free imaging solution....
    I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB...
    I'm a new user to Macrium but so far so good, I've cloned my laptop HDD to an external HDD with no problems. I also created a rescue usb drive. Now I'm intending to fit an SSD to my laptop so here's my question ...can I fit the "blank" SSD to my...
    In Norton Ghost 14, while making backup for my XP, I have to separately backup My Documents Folder and My Picture Folder because it was said that these folders are not included when back up System Drive. Do Macrium also does the same and do not...
    Hi All, I made a Macrium Reflect 6 free version boot USB drive and thought I would put it in to make sure it worked. I get two Kinston USB drive boot options, which one should I use to boot up with? Thanks 42369
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47.
    Find Us