1.    2 Weeks Ago #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,105
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Reflect Restore Issues


    I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 on an old PC - see Windows 10 on 2004 PC?. I have 2 drives - a SSD containing the OS files and an old HDD for storing downloads and OS backups.

    I got Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working and activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account. I made a Reflect backup of the SSD OS drive on an external USB drive.

    I then tried clean installing the 64 bit version of Windows 10 FCU which failed by whichever route I tried at the first boot screen. I've now given up and restored the 32 bit installation using a Reflect boot disk.

    The restore worked OK but I had several issues:

    1. The restored OS was initially not activated but eventually activated with the digital licence after an hour - is this normal?
    2. The second HDD was not listed in This PC. I looked at disk management and noted the drive was inactive since both drives had the same signature. I used the DISKPART UNIQUEID command to change the signature of the HDD and it was then displayed. Why did this happen after restoring the backup image?
    3. I first made a Reflect recovery drive using PE 10 rescue media on a DVD but this wouldn't boot on my old PC. I then made another rescue DVD using PE 3.1 and that booted and worked fine. Why is the PE type sensitive to the age of the PC?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    1 Week Ago #2
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 46
    win10

    Did you use Reflect 6 or 7? Version 7 has many problems, I recommend using v6 instead.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    1 Week Ago #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,105
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by muchomurka View Post
    Did you use Reflect 6 or 7? Version 7 has many problems, I recommend using v6 instead.
    I used v7. Such is progress!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    1 Week Ago #4
    Join Date : Nov 2017
    Posts : 46
    win10

    I stay on v6 so cannot help unfortunately...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    1 Week Ago #5
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 5,862
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro

    V7 was updated today to 7.1.2695. It works great for me.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    1 Week Ago #6
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,454
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I've been experimenting installing Windows 10 on an old PC - see Windows 10 on 2004 PC?. I have 2 drives - a SSD containing the OS files and an old HDD for storing downloads and OS backups.

    I got Windows 10 FCU 32 bit working and activated with a digital licence linked to my MS account. I made a Reflect backup of the SSD OS drive on an external USB drive.

    I then tried clean installing the 64 bit version of Windows 10 FCU which failed by whichever route I tried at the first boot screen. I've now given up and restored the 32 bit installation using a Reflect boot disk.

    The restore worked OK but I had several issues:

    1. The restored OS was initially not activated but eventually activated with the digital licence after an hour - is this normal?
    2. The second HDD was not listed in This PC. I looked at disk management and noted the drive was inactive since both drives had the same signature. I used the DISKPART UNIQUEID command to change the signature of the HDD and it was then displayed. Why did this happen after restoring the backup image?
    3. I first made a Reflect recovery drive using PE 10 rescue media on a DVD but this wouldn't boot on my old PC. I then made another rescue DVD using PE 3.1 and that booted and worked fine. Why is the PE type sensitive to the age of the PC?
    1. It's activated thru MS account or on MS servers, not localy so it may take some time to connect and go thru, even a day or two or longer.
    3. Windows PE reflects the windows version it's made from, it's just any exceptionally small and reduced OS.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    1 Week Ago #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,105
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    1. It's activated thru MS account or on MS servers, not localy so it may take some time to connect and go thru, even a day or two or longer.
    3. Windows PE reflects the windows version it's made from, it's just any exceptionally small and reduced OS.
    Thanks. I didn't realise activation can take a day or more since activation of my previous updates on other PCs was very quick.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Backup & Restore Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: This tutorial will show you the basics of Macrium Reflect, how to create backup images and restore them. We will...
Tutorials
Macrium Reflect Restore Error
When trying to restore an image of Macrium Reflect I received this error "The handle is invalid" Restore Failed 22 and Read Failed invalid argument 32. I did a Google search on both errors and did not find much. On one thread someone suggested to...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect Rapid Delta Restore
Just done an interesting test comparing MR V7 versus V6. New feature of V7 is it compares source and target and only restores files missing or changed (I assume it deletes ones in target not in source - have not yet tested that). So I...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect & backups & restore
I threw MACRIUM into the title because I knew it would get Caledon Ken's attention as he keeps recommending it. My problem with any kind of backups is that when you do so, you are copying all existing errors, bugs and other problems that exist,...
Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium Reflect restore over corrupt drive?
This morning I had a computer crash . Somehow it got stuck on an upgrade . I Booted into system restore and tried to restore to earlier date. Error message came up indicating I had drive issues so I continued with the offer to scan and repair the...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums