Windows 10: How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
       11 Oct 2017 #1

    How do I update a Macrium Reflect Rescue Flash Drive?


    Hi all,

    How do I update a Macrium Reflect rescue flash drive after a patch is released? Should I delete everything on the flash drive before running the Create Rescue Media wizard, or do I just update it without deleting anything? Is the procedure the same either way? I'm using the free version of Macrium Reflect 7.1 on a Windows 10 Home PC. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,385
    Windows 10 Pro
       11 Oct 2017 #2

    You just use the same USB flash drive when creating new rescue media, the rescue media wizard will format it and write new files on it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       12 Oct 2017 #3

    Kari said: View Post
    You just use the same USB flash drive when creating new rescue media, the rescue media wizard will format it and write new files on it.

    Thanks for the info Kari. Are you sure the rescue media wizard formats the USB flash drive? I tried updating that way after the last patch and some of the folders on the flash drive had old dates from when it was originally created. I wouldn’t think that would happen if it were formatted first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Oct 2017 #4

    Or, some of the folders and files, which were not modified or changed between updates, of the new set
    had the same date as the earlier set. That is quite common, in my experience anyhow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 35,306
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       12 Oct 2017 #5

    Some of that depends on whether Macrium found a new WinPE or not. It's common for some of the dates to remain the same, or could change, as Roland said. You don't need to do anything special to the thumb, just let Macrium write what it needs to.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       12 Oct 2017 #6

    Thanks to all for the info. Going forward I will just run my USB rescue flash drive through the Create Rescue Media wizard without doing anything first to prepare it.

    I have a related question. What is the purpose of the Rebuild button on the final wizard page? Does it have anything to do with creating a new rescue flash drive vs. updating an existing one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 35,306
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       12 Oct 2017 #7

    radiowaves said: View Post
    Thanks to all for the info. Going forward I will just run my USB rescue flash drive through the Create Rescue Media wizard without doing anything first to prepare it.

    I have a related question. What is the purpose of the Rebuild button on the final wizard page? Does it have anything to do with creating a new rescue flash drive vs. updating an existing one?
    It recreates all the WinPE files should they become damaged or corrupt for some reason, or some critical driver changes and you need a Rescue Media with the latest and greatest. Rarely used. Not something you need to do unless a situation points you to do it. Rarely used, just ignore it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 57
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit (1803)
    Thread Starter
       12 Oct 2017 #8

    Thanks f14tomcat. Useful info. I pressed the Rebuild button the last time through the wizard. Won’t be doing that again for no reason.

    Another related question . . . After updating the rescue flash drive, is it necessary to test both the flash drive and the boot menu option to make sure they both work or is testing the flash drive enough?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Oct 2017 #9

    radiowaves said: View Post
    Thanks for the info Kari. Are you sure the rescue media wizard formats the USB flash drive? I tried updating that way after the last patch and some of the folders on the flash drive had old dates from when it was originally created. I wouldn’t think that would happen if it were formatted first.
    It does not format the drive if an existing partition. It just adds or overwrites what it needs to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    13 Oct 2017 #10

    radiowaves said: View Post
    Thanks f14tomcat. Useful info. I pressed the Rebuild button the last time through the wizard. Won’t be doing that again for no reason.

    Another related question . . . After updating the rescue flash drive, is it necessary to test both the flash drive and the boot menu option to make sure they both work or is testing the flash drive enough?
    I would test both just in case, as it would be a real PITA if either failed on demand.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Got Macrium Refect Free 6.3.1835 running well on Windows 10. Except when booting from Macrium rescue media, I cannot unlock my C: drive. My setup has a Bitlockered C: drive on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD, and my backup images are on E:, a portable...
Macrium Reflect Rescue Media in Backup and Restore
Hi i have a desktop PC with Windows 10 home. i have created the Macrium Reflect rescue media on USB. ( I have used it to restore images and works fine ). i have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 Pro, i have created an image of the disc using...
Macrium rescue USB stick doesn't find the Precision Touchpad, rescue media loads without the cursor, I can not use the CD as my laptop doesn't have the DVD drive, any help is much appreciated.
I installed Macrium Reflect so that I could create rescue media and disk images. My computer will not boot from the rescue media that I created. The creation seemed to go fine, all the appropriate files seem to be there. The rescue USB shows up in...
Solved Macrium reflect rescue usb problem in Backup and Restore
Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:03.
Find Us