Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    11 Oct 2017 #21
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,755
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Is there another way to disable the automatic creation of system restore points?
    Turn off system protection.

    Your question seems like a exam question - it has no value in real life. If you can explain why you want to do it then perhaps someone will help you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Oct 2017 #22
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,056
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Ok, so I cannot seem to get the task schedular to work. I have tried enabling microsoft net framework, tried a sfc /scannow and a chkdsk that came up with no problems.

    Is there another way to disable the automatic creation of system restore points?
    @Cerawy

    Do you happen to have CCleaner installed? As a workaround, it can be disabled there:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-11_20h15_06.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	157593
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    11 Oct 2017 #23
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 243
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    @Cerawy

    Do you happen to have CCleaner installed? As a workaround, it can be disabled there:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-10-11_20h15_06.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	157593
    Yes, that seems to be it. I have also been using CCleaner to delete the individual system restore points created by windows, so the only system resore points I got left are the ones that i created myself and that I know have been created while windows were working properly. I have also been using this guide to try and fix some of the problems with system restore points failing to restore the system. Will give it some time and come back with the results.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    12 Oct 2017 #24
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,056
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    Yes, that seems to be it. I have also been using CCleaner to delete the individual system restore points created by windows, so the only system resore points I got left are the ones that i created myself and that I know have been created while windows were working properly. I have also been using this guide to try and fix some of the problems with system restore points failing to restore the system. Will give it some time and come back with the results.
    Not sure why your MMC is a bit messed up with the snap-ins, but you have a temp workaround.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    16 Oct 2017 #25
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 243
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Ok, so it works. Windows is no longer creating automatic restore points and deleting the ones i create manually. But, windows still creates a restore point whenever I remove or uninstall a program. I dont want windows to create any restore points, I want to use my own.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    17 Oct 2017 #26
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,229
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    ..I have also been using this guide to try and fix some of the problems with system restore points failing to restore the system. Will give it some time and come back with the results.
    And the endpoint of that guide suggests ultimately that you go the route of backup as opposed to system restore.

    I hope you realize that "System Restore" is a misleading label and will not take your entire system back to precisely where it was when the RP was created - this point was made earlier in the thread.

    Mine is another vote for relying more on a free (or paid) imaging program, a good example of which is Macrium Reflect.

    You will want to use external storage to send system images to and it costs if you don't have it yet but there never has been such a thing as a free lunch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    18 Oct 2017 #27
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 243
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Windows is still creating new restore points every time I install/uninstall a program, thus deleting my own restore points in the process. If anyone knows how to turn this off please let me know.

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    I hope you realize that "System Restore" is a misleading label and will not take your entire system back to precisely where it was when the RP was created - this point was made earlier in the thread.
    See post #19.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    4 Weeks Ago #28
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 243
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    I just tried installing this registry tweak, will see if it disables windows from creating system restore points without my permission.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    4 Weeks Ago #29
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 29,056
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerawy View Post
    I just tried installing this registry tweak, will see if it disables windows from creating system restore points without my permission.
    Good Morning, @Cerawy. You've been at this project for some time now. One question for you this morning. If you are trying to get Windows to stop creating Restore Points on it's own, why are you implementing a registry hack to create one at every startup? I'm only on 1st cup of coffee, so maybe I don't see the reason yet.

    The title of the HTG article you quote where you are getting this tweak reads:
    How to Make Windows Automatically Create a System Restore Point at Startup
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    2 Weeks Ago #30
    Join Date : Feb 2017
    Posts : 243
    Windows 10 pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter

    Just found out today that windows has created nothing less than 9 system restore points with the same date, completely wiping out all the manual restore points that I made myself. So I now have 9 system restore points that are basically the same, and all the system restore points that I made are just gone like that. Absolutely ridicilious. I wanted to restore my computer to one of the system restore points that I made about a week ago but they are wiped out by windows.

    Quote Originally Posted by f14tomcat View Post
    Good Morning, @Cerawy. You've been at this project for some time now. One question for you this morning. If you are trying to get Windows to stop creating Restore Points on it's own, why are you implementing a registry hack to create one at every startup? I'm only on 1st cup of coffee, so maybe I don't see the reason yet.
    You are right, discard this as a solution.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Performance & Maintenance Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10
How to Delete System Restore Points in Windows 10 System protection (if turned on) is a feature that allows you to perform a system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if...
Tutorials
System Restore not creating restore points after Anniversary upgrade.
Since upgrading system restore is not creating restore points automatically. I have to create them manually and then they are being deleted automatically every 3 - 7 days. I tried allocating more disk space to restore but that has done no good. I...
Backup and Restore
Windows update removes earlier restore points
Some earlier automatic Windows 10 updates removed all my earlier restore points and set the protection settings of the C: disk off. The recent Windows 10 update (Jan 29) again removed all my earlier restore points. This time the protection setting...
Backup and Restore
Dual boot with Windows 7 deletes Windows 10 restore points
I'm dual booting Windows 7 & 10, and when boot up Windows 7, and then back into Windows 10, the Windows 10 restore points have been deleted. I tried the fix here but it didn't work. The restore points are still being deleted. Anybody else having...
Backup and Restore
Solved Windows update removed restore points
so one has to recreate that. Too bad one cannot go back. Wanted to use a restore point because all of a sudden my Outlook 2016 is gone. Off course one cannot find this when scrolling down after hitting the left corner and hitting then "all apps",...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums