1.    18 Aug 2017 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 15
    Win 10 Home

    Win PE Boot disk query - Bios/Efi and Bitness


    I want to create Win PE boot disks for restoring Macrium Reflect images, but have never used Win PE ADK

    I have an X64 EFI system, and need to recover ANY of the variations (using other peoples' systems)
    x64 EFI
    x64 BIOS
    x86 BIOS AND, maybe,
    x86 EFI
    See my post Foolproof Image Backup for the reason for all the variants

    1) How many boot disks do I need?
    2) Can I easily create all the variants on my x64 EFI system? (Guidance appreciated)
    3) Or is ToDo EasUS with its Linux boot recovery not a better option for max portability?

    Or Should I post this on a Macrium forum?
    If so, please say

    Spilly
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Aug 2017 #2
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 15
    Win 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Apologies for a poor quality post
    Basically now solved after a little experience of the product

    spilly
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Aug 2017 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,994
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by spilly View Post
    I want to create Win PE boot disks for restoring Macrium Reflect images, but have never used Win PE ADK

    I have an X64 EFI system, and need to recover ANY of the variations (using other peoples' systems)
    x64 EFI
    x64 BIOS
    x86 BIOS AND, maybe,
    x86 EFI
    See my post Foolproof Image Backup for the reason for all the variants

    1) How many boot disks do I need?
    2) Can I easily create all the variants on my x64 EFI system? (Guidance appreciated)
    3) Or is ToDo EasUS with its Linux boot recovery not a better option for max portability?

    Or Should I post this on a Macrium forum?
    If so, please say

    Spilly
    I am pretty sure if you create a 32bit macrium rescue drive, it will work on 32/64 and bios/uefi. Creating a 32bit is a bit of a faff on a 64bit pc - easiest way is to install 32bit windows in a vm, and create macrium rescue iso inside VM.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    24 Aug 2017 #4
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 15
    Win 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    I'm trying to maintain a number of other people's systems, some 32 bit, some 64
    The clients are definitely not tech savvy - most are pensioners.
    So whatever I set up on their systems, it should be easy to run and it also should to keep to the rules, in case someone else is doing system maintenance work, not me
    I think I will have to borrow a 32 bit system to create a 32 bit rescue CD
    I plan to clone that rescue CD for each 32 bit system and to clone my 64 bit CD for the rest
    Plus I will keep a copy of both myself

    Spilly
    PS I do this in return for donations to a local charity
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Aug 2017 #5
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,994
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by spilly View Post
    I'm trying to maintain a number of other people's systems, some 32 bit, some 64
    The clients are definitely not tech savvy - most are pensioners.
    So whatever I set up on their systems, it should be easy to run and it also should to keep to the rules, in case someone else is doing system maintenance work, not me
    I think I will have to borrow a 32 bit system to create a 32 bit rescue CD
    I plan to clone that rescue CD for each 32 bit system and to clone my 64 bit CD for the rest
    Plus I will keep a copy of both myself

    Spilly
    PS I do this in return for donations to a local charity
    As I said, a 32bit version should work on a 64bit - testing it now.

    Actually a really good thing to do is install Macrium Reflect Free on each device, and create a boot menu entry. Then you only need the usb flash drive or dvd if hard drive fails, or C drive or boot files get mangled. Most of the time, you will not even need the CD, and also, you can be certain it has all the right drivers (rare but now and then you have to customise the Rescue drive with specific drivers.

    Another issue is sometimes on older pcs, bios is not 100% compatible with latest Winpe 10 adk files and the screen resolution defaults to 640x480 and you cannot click on all the buttons. To get round this, you have to recreate the rescue iso using an earlier set of winpe adk files e.g. winpe 5 or even earlier. On my laptop, I had to go back to winpe 4. Only sure fire way of knowing is trial and error.

    Of course, you could create rescue drives of each.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	150261 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	150262
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Aug 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 3,755
    10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by spilly View Post
    1) How many boot disks do I need?
    Almost certainly only one.

    You don't need separate USB for EFI/BIOS - just format it FAT32 and make it active and it will boot on either.

    It doesn't matter if the host is running 32 or 64 bit Windows - only if the CPU will run the PE image. 100% of CPUs will boot 32 bit and only 99% will run 64 bit. You would be extremely unlucky to find a 32 bit processor these days but it is possible I guess.

    The advantage of 32 bit is the image is smaller so it takes less time to load into RAM from the USB. I always go for 32 bit for that reason but 99% of the time a 64 bit image would work - just it would load a bit slower.

    The only reason I can think of to use 64 bit is if you wanted to add programs or drivers to your PE image that only existed in 64 bit version.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Aug 2017 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,994
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by lx07 View Post
    Almost certainly only one.

    You don't need separate USB for EFI/BIOS - just format it FAT32 and make it active and it will boot on either.

    It doesn't matter if the host is running 32 or 64 bit Windows - only if the CPU will run the PE image. 100% of CPUs will boot 32 bit and only 99% will run 64 bit. You would be extremely unlucky to find a 32 bit processor these days but it is possible I guess.

    The advantage of 32 bit is the image is smaller so it takes less time to load into RAM from the USB. I always go for 32 bit for that reason but 99% of the time a 64 bit image would work - just it would load a bit slower.

    The only reason I can think of to use 64 bit is if you wanted to add programs or drivers to your PE image that only existed in 64 bit version.
    I agree re. 32bit, but may still need more than one as not all bioses on older pcs are fully compatible with Macrium Reflect Winpe built with Winpe 10 adk files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Aug 2017 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 15
    Win 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Code:
    I agree re. 32bit, but may still need more than one as not all bioses on older pcs are fully compatible with Macrium Reflect Winpe built with Winpe 10 adk files.
    I''ll have to do an inventory of hardware on at least 9 systems, of which 5 or 6 are 5 - 9 years old (and STILL going... I was going to say "strong", but let's leave it at "still going." I made 'em all Win 10, so at least I have only one OS to cope with when trying to help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Macrium Reflect...Disk Partitions query...
I finally persuaded my friend to start performing Backups (using Macrium Reflect Free). However, I'm confused about the large number of partitions showing on his system- see the attached screenshot. The backup runs successfully, but I wondered...
Backup and Restore
How to fix boot to disk in Windows 10 v1607 with legacy BIOS
Hello, I have an Asus U46E laptop (circa 2011) originally purchased with Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit and problem free. It's since been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64Bit v.1607 and in all respects but one seems to be working fine. It won't launch from...
Windows Updates and Activation
Disk Manager, Device Manager, BIOS unable to see Disk
Hello everyone, A friend of mine bought a 3TB Seagate SATA drive off eBay about a week ago. He has been having trouble with it since. He said at first the disk showed up in disk management but after a while stopped showing up all together. It...
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Can Boot Manager on Disk 1 be removed from bios?
Migrated OS 8.1 from HDD to SSD . Migration software installed command line in bios "Boot Manager on Disk 1". If I do a format of SSD will bios revert to original without the reference to disk 1. I intend on doing a clean install of Windows 10...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:46.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums