1.    28 Jul 2017 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10

    Can I backup to an internal drive?


    I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10.

    I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't find anything.. When I reconnect my external drive and it found its driver. What about internal hard drive like C: ? I want it to add to C: as well. I don't understand ?

    Sorry about my English. Cheers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Jul 2017 #2
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Most desktops allow adding more physical drives and work fine. The key is that one not do backups to a partition on the same drive the Operating System is installed on, if a drive has major failures all partitions could be lost. All drives need at least one partition, adding in a second hard drive doesn't add to C:, usually becomes D: or other letter usable for storage of items such as a backup.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jul 2017 #3
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    Most desktops allow adding more physical drives and work fine. The key is that one not do backups to a partition on the same drive the Operating System is installed on, if a drive has major failures all partitions could be lost. All drives need at least one partition, adding in a second hard drive doesn't add to C:, usually becomes D: or other letter usable for storage of items such as a backup.
    So I just use E: as my external hard drive to focus and backup from C: to E: ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Jul 2017 #4
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,922
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    If you don't have a second hard drive in the computer then Yes, you can use an External drive for backups.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Jul 2017 #5
    Join Date : Jul 2017
    Posts : 11
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    If you don't have a second hard drive in the computer then Yes, you can use an External drive for backups.
    Great. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Jul 2017 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,356
    Windows 10 Pro

    There is one advantage to doing a backup to the same physical internal HDD, just a different partition. If something should happen to the Windows install itself, and not the physical hard drive, it is a much quicker restore from the internal HDD than the external drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Jul 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 2,079
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by azoreseuropa View Post
    I am using Windows 10 with Dell that I purchased desktop that came with Windows 10.

    I back up my files to external hard drive without a problem but I want to back up my files to internal hard drive as well. Both. I just want to be safe. I click add driver but it didn't find anything.. When I reconnect my external drive and it found its driver. What about internal hard drive like C: ? I want it to add to C: as well. I don't understand ?

    Sorry about my English. Cheers.
    I have my OS on a SSD (drive C) and user files on a HDD. The HDD has two partitions - one for user files and one for backups. I backup the OS (using Reflect) to the HDD backup partition and backup the OS & user files to an external HDD also. That way I have two OS backups and can store the external HDD in a safe place.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    29 Jul 2017 #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    I have my OS on a SSD (drive C) and user files on a HDD. The HDD has two partitions - one for user files and one for backups. I backup the OS (using Reflect) to the HDD backup partition and backup the OS & user files to an external HDD also. That way I have two OS backups and can store the external HDD in a safe place.
    Hi there
    for EXTERNAL backup of the OS you can use an SSD connected to USB3 port via a sata--->USB3 connector -- or directly if your pc has an accessible esata direct connection. Even with USB3 the restore from an external SSD will be FAST. I prefer that method as one doesn't need restores that often (hopefully) and especially with a laptop I prefer not to "duplicate" data on the laptops internal drives as there's usually limited HDD space. If travelling carrying an extra SSD isn't a problem --probably weighs even less than a typical USB stick !!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How to convert an internal drive to external?
I will be removing a Dell's OEM mechanical HD and installing an SSD then installing Windows 10 clean. Although the mechanical HD is a dog I'm thinking that it would serve just fine as a USB/Macrium Reflect destination for this laptop. Is it...
Performance & Maintenance
Error adding a 2nd internal hard drive
I was replacing My son' old computer and I decided to remove the HD and put it into my case for extra storage/back-up. When I start or restart the computer I get a screen I have never seen before on this computer. It is the American Maegtrends bios...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external.
hello i have 4 hard disk on my pc 3 hhd and one ssd on ahci mode but the Windows 10 says internal hard drive is external why? 136129
Drivers and Hardware
Solved Backup Questions Using the Internal or an External Drive
I am trying to use Windows 10 Rescue and Recovery to back up or image my entire HD. I will either backup onto my internal HD or an external HD. The Resue and Recovery does not give the option to use the C drive so it seems to me that if I created...
Backup and Restore
Solved How to relocate "data" on 2nd internal drive, separate from OS drive?
Hi, all: Seeing this thread, being preoccupied today with work projects, and generally obsessing over the imminent arrival of my first system with dual internal drives, I must ask my next really stupid question: How do I relocate my data from...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums