Windows 10: Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive? Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Jun 2017 #1

    Any way to have Macrium restore to a larger capacity drive?


    I thought I had done this one time, but if I did I can't figure out how. I have UEFI and GPT drives.

    I want to move my Insider installation from a 250 to 500GB SSD (I want to fully install all modules of my recording studio on the Insider edition). I have restored a disc image to the 500GB drive and it works OK but it leaves about 250GB unused and I can't expand the "C" partition to include the unused partition.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.   My ComputerSystem Spec

  3. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,186
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       27 Jun 2017 #3

    Winuser said: View Post
    Yes, that is an easy way. just move/resize all the way to the right. Then expand C: while you're in there. Apply both changes, and MiniTool will update everything.

    Other way is on restore, drag all the partitions down to C:, left to right, except the Recovery. Drag it all the way to the right. Restore. Then expand C:. MiniTool is probably easier and quicker since you've already done the restore.

    EDIT: Just thinking....it may not let that happen while the OS is open. Unless you use the bootable MiniTool (available on Kyhi's Recovery).
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    27 Jun 2017 #4

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Yes, that is an easy way. just move/resize all the way to the right. Then expand C: while you're in there. Apply both changes, and MiniTool will update everything.

    Other way is on restore, drag all the partitions down to C:, left to right, except the Recovery. Drag it all the way to the right. Restore. Then expand C:. MiniTool is probably easier and quicker since you've already done the restore.

    EDIT: Just thinking....it may not let that happen while the OS is open. Unless you use the bootable MiniTool (available on Kyhi's Recovery).
    If it doesn't resize with Windows running it should do it after a restart. It's been awhile since I resized a partition so I don't remember if a restart was necessary.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,186
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       27 Jun 2017 #5

    Winuser said: View Post
    If it doesn't resize with Windows running it should do it after a restart. It's been awhile since I resized a partition so I don't remember if a restart was necessary.
    But the answer to Fireberd, who got totally bored and left is , yes, he can. One way or the other. :)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    27 Jun 2017 #6

    I have that program (and have used it before).
    However, the unused partition is at the end. See screenshot.
    This is how the drive ended up doing a restore from a Macrium disc image.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	141440
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 36,186
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       27 Jun 2017 #7

    fireberd said: View Post
    I have that program (and have used it before).
    However, the unused partition is at the end. See screenshot.
    This is how the drive ended up doing a restore from a Macrium disc image.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	141440
    That's fine. Just grab it and drag it all the way to the right. Each one, starting with the 2GB, then the 454GB next to it, then the other 454GB. (why there are 2 is another thread....) Like this example:

    Then apply.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-27_18h18_59.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	141450
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    27 Jun 2017 #8

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Yes, that is an easy way. just move/resize all the way to the right. Then expand C: while you're in there. Apply both changes, and MiniTool will update everything.

    Other way is on restore, drag all the partitions down to C:, left to right, except the Recovery. Drag it all the way to the right. Restore. Then expand C:. MiniTool is probably easier and quicker since you've already done the restore.

    EDIT: Just thinking....it may not let that happen while the OS is open. Unless you use the bootable MiniTool (available on Kyhi's Recovery).
    Minitool is very clever. If doing iOS that impact C drive, it boots into a special dos like environment automatically, and back when finished. No need to use other winpe tools.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Jun 2017 #9

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    That's fine. Just grab it and drag it all the way to the right. Each one, starting with the 2GB, then the 454GB next to it, then the other 454GB. (why there are 2 is another thread....) Like this example:

    Then apply.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-06-27_18h18_59.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	141450
    In OPs case, I would just delete the last three partitions as none are of real use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    28 Jun 2017 #10

    That worked. Did it this morning and booted up the Insider Preview (Posting from it now).

    Thanks/Jack

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Expanded disc.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	141501
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Solved Migrating to larger drive with Macrium in Installation and Upgrade
I can't seem to get Macrium (paid version) to utilize the full size of a new SSD. I want to restore my Insider version on a larger SSD. But when I restore, its like its doing a clone rather than restore. I've done this in the past without...
This morning I had a computer crash . Somehow it got stuck on an upgrade . I Booted into system restore and tried to restore to earlier date. Error message came up indicating I had drive issues so I continued with the offer to scan and repair the...
Solved Image restore on larger SSD in Installation and Upgrade
Is it possible to restore a Windows 10 system image taken from a 60Gb SSD to a new 240gb SSD on the same computer? I am thinking of using the windows 10 installation USB to boot then repair to recover the image onto the 240Gb SSD. Would this work?...
Solved One Drive Capacity in Network and Sharing
How do I find out how much capacity I have for free storage on One Drive. Currently the only information I see is 20.5gb remaining. How do i find out how much I started with i.e. used already
Let me explain my problem. I have 3 HDD's (2 internals (1 SSD 120 GB and 1 HDD-Sata 200 GB) and 1 external USB HDD (2 TB)). I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64 final οn the SSD 120 GB without problems and i have installed the extra programs that i...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:57.
Find Us