1.    30 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro 1607

    System Image Problem


    Running Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, Build 15063.332.

    Every month for the past several years I/we do a SystemImage. Two weeks ago, sensing imminentfailure of the HDD, I installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD and transferred allfiles (including Windows 10) from the HDD to the SSD using Samsung Magician softwarethat was included with the SSD.

    System Image within Windows 10 was accessed by clickingSTART-CONTROL PANEL-BACKUP AND RESTORE (Windows 7)-See screenshot:


    Clicking on “Back up or restore your files” yieldsnothing, i.e. no screen change. Nomatter what I have attempted (including a System Restore) I have not been ableto reach the page where it is possible to select CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE. Aside from File Transfer using SamsungMagician no settings have been changed. Everything else appears as before. Curiously, a System Image is possible using Macrium Reflect but out ITDepartment insists we use Windows 10 for this task, which cannot be done untilthat screen is returned.
    Last edited by Brink; 30 May 2017 at 17:50. Reason: removed broken image
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,862
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    Running Windows 10 Home, Version 1703, Build 15063.332.

    Every month for the past several years I/we do a SystemImage. Two weeks ago, sensing imminentfailure of the HDD, I installed a Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSD and transferred allfiles (including Windows 10) from the HDD to the SSD using Samsung Magician softwarethat was included with the SSD.

    System Image within Windows 10 was accessed by clickingSTART-CONTROL PANEL-BACKUP AND RESTORE (Windows 7)-See screenshot:


    Clicking on “Back up or restore your files” yieldsnothing, i.e. no screen change. Nomatter what I have attempted (including a System Restore) I have not been ableto reach the page where it is possible to select CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE. Aside from File Transfer using SamsungMagician no settings have been changed. Everything else appears as before. Curiously, a System Image is possible using Macrium Reflect but out ITDepartment insists we use Windows 10 for this task, which cannot be done untilthat screen is returned.
    I expect it is a licence issue why IT dept. will not let you use it. Ask them why not?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    Posts : 8
    Windows 10 Pro 1607
    Thread Starter

    Cereberus:

    The uncanny resemblance of our IT guys with a Philistine is believed to be more than coincidence...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : May 2016
    Massachusetts
    Posts : 236
    Windows 10 Pro 32-bit

    This probably what you are seeing
    --- If so, it means you created the system image backup without including the Set up backup procedure
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Without using Set up backup.PNG 
Views:	4 
Size:	14.1 KB 
ID:	137404

    When you include the Set up backup procedure and then follow through with the system image backup procedure this is what you should see
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Having used Set up backup.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	137405

    I do not use the Windows back up process so I cannot explain how it works that way. I just tried it both ways to see if there was a difference and that's what I came up with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,634
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Sorry I also can't help with the issue because I don't use Windows' native image backup utility. But you may wanna join the bandwagon and use the FREE Macrium Reflect software instead. Most of us here do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,476
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Sorry I also can't help with the issue because I don't use Windows' native image backup utility. But you may wanna join the bandwagon and use the FREE Macrium Reflect software instead. Most of us here do.
    Unfortunately for the OP, the decision is not up to them (my bold)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
    Curiously, a System Image is possible using Macrium Reflect but our IT Department insists we use Windows 10 for this task...
    @Abe Froman, your first attempt at posting a screenshot failed. It would help diagnosis if you could try posting it again.

    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    31 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,050
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86

    Maybe I'm missing something here, apologies if so...

    Why not just start afresh and use the W10 bootable recovery media which I assume you or your IT dept have already made and just reinstate your chosen backup image. If the images are good and the replacement HDD at least as large as the original one then there shouldn't be an issue.

    W10's own backup utility has worked faultlessly for me many many times in the past, but you have to understand how it works with relation to the single file it creates and also the hidden restore points it also creates each time the backup is run. If the restore points are missing (because for example you have archived (moved) a system image from drive to another, or you have run a disk clean that deleted the restore points then you will not have the full set of images to restore back to.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    31 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : May 2016
    Massachusetts
    Posts : 236
    Windows 10 Pro 32-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, apologies if so...

    Why not just start afresh and use the W10 bootable recovery media which I assume you or your IT dept have already made and just reinstate your chosen backup image. If the images are good and the replacement HDD at least as large as the original one then there shouldn't be an issue.

    W10's own backup utility has worked faultlessly for me many many times in the past, but you have to understand how it works with relation to the single file it creates and also the hidden restore points it also creates each time the backup is run. If the restore points are missing (because for example you have archived (moved) a system image from drive to another, or you have run a disk clean that deleted the restore points then you will not have the full set of images to restore back to.
    That's what I do the seniors at our senior center and there haven't been any problems.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Installation & Upgrade System Image - Create Hardware Independent System Image
How to Create Hardware Independent System Image for Installing Windows 10 In this tutorial we will prepare a Windows 10 image customizing the default user profile and install software we want to include in a clean Windows installation. When...
Tutorials
External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image
When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in...
Drivers and Hardware
Serious windows 10 aniv. ed. system image restore problem
I made several images using the built in Windows 7 system image function on Windows 10 and today I had a need to restore one of them. Images are on a portable WD HDD that could be seen in windows explorer. I booted to a year old rescue disk and...
Backup and Restore
Solved System Image Problem
First, I'm new to this site and I don't know if this is the correct place for this thread, if not could someone please advise where to post this. I won't go into the problem here if this isn't the correct place.
Backup and Restore
problem creating system image
i did a clean install of windows 10 and now i am trying to do a system image and save it to usb but windows keeps saying this is not a valid location, my usb is a sandisk 64 gb formatted to the correct format that windows asks me to do .i have tried...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums