Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    19 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10

    Bootable USB drive


    Hi

    I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good

    Just a couple of questions....

    1. I want to create a bootable USB how can I check if the USB drive I have is bootable and has the MBT partition that Macrium state it needs?

    2. Can I store the image on my external drive in a folder just for this use?

    Stuart
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    19 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)

    Quote Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
    Hi

    I have been speaking to Macrium via Facebook and decided I will go for the full version and have the security of a full image if my notebook ever goes wrong.... plus they gave me a 20% discount code so that is good

    Just a couple of questions....

    1. I want to create a bootable USB how can I check if the USB drive I have is bootable and has the MBT partition that Macrium state it needs?

    open Macrium, select other tasks> create a rescue media, and test boot when done

    2. Can I store the image on my external drive in a folder just for this use?

    yes

    Stuart
    There is a manual way to get the rescue media ready but it is more cumbersome than just trying to let Macrium do it for you:

    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...for+Windows+PE

    Hope this answers your questions.

    good luck,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    19 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Excellent, so Macrium does not do it for me the same as when I created my Windows 10 USB from the Microsoft site

    I just use diskpart on the USB first?

    I wondered if the USB Drive already had it as that states some do... can I check this?

    I am going to continue using the Memeo back up I use already for files/folders and duplicate with Macrium, plus I get a full drive image

    On te drive image, I presume if, for instance I replaced the HDD I could restore a new drive to the exact same as my current one?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    19 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)

    Quote Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
    On te drive image, I presume if, for instance I replaced the HDD I could restore a new drive to the exact same as my current one?
    The short answer is yes; however, I will defer answering that question "fully" to those who have done it extensively with Macrium. For example, I have never tried to restore a standard hard drive image to a new SSD so I don't know how the SSD offsets might be handled.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    19 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thank you...

    Will get Macrium ordered today/tomorrow, may as well be safe Lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    19 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Hi... another question....

    Am I correct when I use diskpart to get the USB ready I type this command when using Windows 10?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	135660
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    20 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Sorry another question...

    First, am I correct in saying I use the command shown above to format the USB Drive?

    Also, I have never used diskpart, I presume that the smaller capacity will be my 16GB USB drive as it shows as "disk 1" when plugged in and does not show when removed.... Sorry stupid question.... No idea why my 1TB drive states 5120KB as free when I have 757GB free and that includes the windows.old folder and instalation from CU

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	135849
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    20 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 4,918
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by stuarttunstall View Post
    Excellent, so Macrium does not do it for me the same as when I created my Windows 10 USB from the Microsoft site

    I just use diskpart on the USB first?

    I wondered if the USB Drive already had it as that states some do... can I check this?

    I am going to continue using the Memeo back up I use already for files/folders and duplicate with Macrium, plus I get a full drive image

    On te drive image, I presume if, for instance I replaced the HDD I could restore a new drive to the exact same as my current one?
    All you have to do is have a fomatted drive - fat32. The first thing it asks is to create a rescue drive - it does the rest all for you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    20 May 2017 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 4,918
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    The short answer is yes; however, I will defer answering that question "fully" to those who have done it extensively with Macrium. For example, I have never tried to restore a standard hard drive image to a new SSD so I don't know how the SSD offsets might be handled.
    It does it all for you including alignments. No user input needed at all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    20 May 2017 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 150
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Fantastic... even easier... I thought I needed to follow that procedure from the Macrium site, but if all I need to do if format the USB stick even I can manage that Lol ...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Creating bootable USB 3.0 Flash Drive...
I have followed instructions to create my own Windows 10 To Go flash drive. I have two suitable USB 3.0 flash drives: Corsair Voyager GTX and Super Talent RC4, both 128 GB versions. The Corsair Voyager GTX is not a certified Windows To Go...
Installation and Upgrade
Need help creating a bootable USB drive
Hello all, Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to wipe my C drive and start over with the latest edition of Windows 10 from an ISO disc downloaded from Microsoft. I want to use another program to wipe the partition rather than use the Windows...
General Support
Unable to reset or recover Windows 10 using bootable USB drive
Hello! I initially had Windows 7 on my Toshiba Satellite laptop. I tried to factory restore, but the original partition with the manufacturer files was missing. I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 for free, as I had an activated Widows 7 OS. The...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I create a bootable USB drive with an ISO?
Tried looking this up online, but couldn't find any specific information. I'm running on Windows 10 Home, and I have a Windows 10 ISO I want to put in a flash drive so it's bootable. How do I do this?
Installation and Upgrade
Solved How do I create a bootable usb drive for bare metal install
I have been trying to create a USB installation drive. I have the Windows10 .iso image. I have created a recovery USB drive but it doesn't allow me to access the image just the advanced options. I want to be able to do a clean install of Windows...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums