1.    13 May 2017 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 349
    Windows 10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.19

    Macrium finds extra partition


    I did a backup and I noticed that Macrium shows 5 partitions while disk management shows 4 partitions, at least graphically. What is that 3rd 128 mb partition about shown in Marcrium. Is it okay to leave it there/leave it be?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled2.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	134844


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	134845
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 May 2017 #2
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)

    That is a hidden partition reserved by Microsoft for future use.

    I (personally) would not delete it. Just create a full system image and you should be good to go.

    Hope this helps,

    WOT
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    13 May 2017 #3
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 349
    Windows 10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.19
    Thread Starter

    Great - thanks WOT.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    13 May 2017 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,021
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    That is a hidden partition reserved by Microsoft for future use.
    For future use ? It's the GPT file system partition, that's all.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    13 May 2017 #5
    Join Date : Mar 2017
    Posts : 471
    Win 10 Pro 15063.332 (ex-Insider)

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,



    For future use ? It's the GPT file system partition, that's all.

    Cheers,

    Oh really? I thought it was the MSR partition?
    https://wiki2.org/en/Microsoft_Reserved_Partition

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros...rved_Partition
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    13 May 2017 #6
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,021
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Well yes, but it's the "for future use" that triggered my reply. It only varies in size depending on the size of the drive (16Mb to 128Mb).

    If you convert a blank (as in in factory fresh or cleaned using diskpart) drive to GPT it will be the first partition on that drive.
    You won't find it on Bios/Non-Efi systems as these do not support GPT.
    The position of most partitions isn't all that critical on EFI systems although some positions may be inconvenient for practical reasons.
    I've never experienced that GPT partition change in size, never.


    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    14 May 2017 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,873
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,

    Well yes, but it's the "for future use" that triggered my reply. It only varies in size depending on the size of the drive (16Mb to 128Mb).

    If you convert a blank (as in in factory fresh or cleaned using diskpart) drive to GPT it will be the first partition on that drive.
    You won't find it on Bios/Non-Efi systems as these do not support GPT.
    The position of most partitions isn't all that critical on EFI systems although some positions may be inconvenient for practical reasons.
    I've never experienced that GPT partition change in size, never.


    Cheers,
    WOT is mostly correct. The MSR partition is a bit of an enigma as nobody seems to be clear on its exact purpose, although some say it is/will be used by bitlocker for example.

    I have many installs where it is not present with no impact at all. It is a real PITA actually as it is the only partition that cannot be moved once created even with tools like minitool partition wizard.

    Leaving it there is no big deal, but on my 32 GB tablet, I delete it and all recovery partitions to gain a bit of extra space, only leaving the 100 MB EFI fat32 partition and the Windows partition.

    The MSR partition was always 128 MB until W19 where by default it is now 16GB. It is always installed second after the Recovery partition on clean installs.



    Wikipedia:

    A Microsoft Reserved Partition, or MSR, is a partition of a data storage device, which is created simply to reserve a chunk of disk space for possible subsequent use by the operating system software of a Windows operating system. No data is stored within the MSR; Windows may take from the MSR partition for the creation of new partitions, which themselves may contain data structures.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    14 May 2017 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,344
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by cereberus View Post
    WOT is mostly correct. The MSR partition is a bit of an enigma as nobody seems to be clear on its exact purpose, although some say it is/will be used by bitlocker for example.

    I have many installs where it is not present with no impact at all. It is a real PITA actually as it is the only partition that cannot be moved once created even with tools like minitool partition wizard.
    Me too. If I do any customizing of the front part of the drive, the MSR partition gets deleted. Never has presented an issue on any computer that doesn't have it in my house.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    14 May 2017 #9
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 5,873
    Windows10

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Me too. If I do any customizing of the front part of the drive, the MSR partition gets deleted. Never has presented an issue on any computer that doesn't have it in my house.
    It is often not realised you only need two partitions - efi and the windows partition. Rest are optional.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    14 May 2017 #10
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,021
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Yep. I found that out when I created a Windows To Go stick where only the basic two partitions are created.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Trouble installing Macrium boot files on an external drive partition
I have two external USB backup drives. Both work fine when backing up my system image. However, disk #2 installed and will boot the Macrium recovery program. But when I try to install the Macrium boot files on disk #1, it will not give me the option...
Backup and Restore
Delete extra recovery partition, folder, and marker?
I have a system that started life with a fresh Windows 10 64-bit preview build installed on a blank drive with only one partition. This was later upgraded (using the "not keep any data" option) to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit release. The system drive...
General Support
Solved Macrium image restore changes partition layout
I tried one again to use Macrium to backup only C:, clean install then restore only C:. Once again it did more that I asked it to and removed the 16MB partition created by the clean install. After clean install I had this, 4 partitions on Disk...
Installation and Upgrade
Extra Partition
I think I have an extra partition. Can I remove it? 54242 The 500MB is the recovery partition from my Win 10 UPGRADE install, BUT now it's marked as a primary partition. Because I reinstalled Win 10 through Windows, not clean install, and got...
Drivers and Hardware
Extra small disk partition since update...
Since I received the latest update over last weekend, a new small (un-named) partition has appeared at the end of my 'C' Drive - see attached screenshot. Previously there was only a single partition containing all files. Can anyone explain what...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums