Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 Home - Version 21H1- Build 19043.1266
       #11

    It actually created 7 .mrimg files most of them 4gb in size each. Using medium compression it reduced 46.24 GB to 27 GB so it reduced it by about 60%. I put this and the rescue disk on the same 32GB flash drive.

    Looks like this:

    Safe to rely entirely on Macrium to rescue the comp. from a crash?-untitled.png
    Last edited by tomseys; 13 May 2017 at 05:04.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 13,586
    Windows10
       #12

    Plenty of good free alternatives to MR eg

    Easeus Todo Backup

    Aomei Backupper

    Veeam

    Actually, I have found MR to be so reliable, I never bother even validating the MR backup just accepting the risk that I might end up rreinstalling stuff. I backup my data separately.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 Home - Version 21H1- Build 19043.1266
       #13

    Quick question: I tested the rescue disk (easy way is to hit esc and then f9 when booting up on HP laptop to change boot order to USB) and it works fine... boots into windows PE 10. It asks for the image file to do an image restore so I guess what I would do is point it to the first mr file (ends in o - there are 7) on the USB drive and I guess it would then process all 7 files to complete the restore?
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 19,215
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #14

    tomseys said:
    Quick question: I tested the rescue disk (easy way is to hit esc and then f9 when booting up on HP laptop to change boot order to USB) and it works fine... boots into windows PE 10. It asks for the image file to do an image restore so I guess what I would do is point it to the first mr file (ends in o - there are 7) on the USB drive and I guess it would then process all 7 files to complete the restore?
    That I never tried, why did you make 7 ???
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 Home - Version 21H1- Build 19043.1266
       #15

    It just did it automatically. I think because my usb drive is set for fat 32 which I guess has 4gb limit. Maybe I will set to ntfs and redo it.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 19,215
    W11+W11 Developer Insider + Linux
       #16

    tomseys said:
    It just did it automatically. I think because my usb drive is set for fat 32 which I guess has 4gb limit. Maybe I will set to ntfs and redo it.
    In that case it should also automatically put them together.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 Home - Version 21H1- Build 19043.1266
       #17

    Okay it seems that I have to use fat32 with usb flash drive because my laptop boots in UEFI mode and it only works with fat32. So i have to have the 7 files because of 4gb limitation of fat32.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 13,586
    Windows10
       #18

    tomseys said:
    Quick question: I tested the rescue disk (easy way is to hit esc and then f9 when booting up on HP laptop to change boot order to USB) and it works fine... boots into windows PE 10. It asks for the image file to do an image restore so I guess what I would do is point it to the first mr file (ends in o - there are 7) on the USB drive and I guess it would then process all 7 files to complete the restore?
    Yes that is correct.

    The reason for 7 files is the 4 GB file size limit on fat32.

    If you want just a single file, use NTFS or exFAT formatted drives.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 725
    Windows 10 Home - Version 21H1- Build 19043.1266
       #19

    Yeah Macrium won't allow it stating that there are more partitions on the usb than allowed (more than 1) when usb is formatted with NTSF and i've read that with ueti booting it must use fat32 unless I try and change stuff but i don't think I want to mess with that.

    I guess i could burn the rescue disk to cd/dvd and then put the single image file on a ntsf formatted usb flash drive.I could get a larger flash drive and store multiple images on it.
    Last edited by tomseys; 13 May 2017 at 12:39.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 340
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit (with Creators OS)
    Thread Starter
       #20

    cereberus said:
    Plenty of good free alternatives to MR eg

    Easeus Todo Backup

    Aomei Backupper

    Veeam

    Actually, I have found MR to be so reliable, I never bother even validating the MR backup just accepting the risk that I might end up rreinstalling stuff. I backup my data separately.
    Thanks. I will pursue.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums