Recover Deleted Files


  1. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
       #1

    Recover Deleted Files


    Are there any good recovery tools out there that can recover recently deleted files? This isn't an emergency, but I have lost several files in the last six months on separate occasions, and my recovery tools failed to bring them back even though I did everything recommended to prevent loss of data. These files are generally on separate drives from Windows, so Macrium Reflect is not really a solution, nor would I want the paid version to back up the files since that would result in massive disk space usage.

    When I have lost files, I have immediately shut down all handles to the drive(s) that the files were lost from. I have then used the following software to try to recover my files:
    • Recuva - Fails for recently deleted files but finds files from months ago?
    • EaseUS Data Recovery - Same as Recuva
    • StompSoft Recover Lost Data - Very old program that often finds the files but restores corrupted versions of the files
    • iCare Format Recovery - Fairly old software that has the same issue as Recover Lost Data



    By the way, I have a bad habit of always using Shift + Delete to delete files, which is why I sometimes lose files when I'm tired or stressed and not paying close enough attention. I do have my most important work related files on a backup routine to prevent that from happening, but personal media files take up too much space for that to be feasible.
    Last edited by Xilnik; 12 May 2017 at 12:41. Reason: Forgot to mention EaseUS
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,465
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    on separate drives from Windows, so Macrium Reflect is not really a solution
    - if the drives are internal to your PC, you could certainly use MR to image them- I do.
    - or do you mean they are on USB disks?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Some are on networked drives, and some are internal. I'd rather not image them in either case since it would be 0.8 TB worth of data to image right now.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 35,465
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #4

    I believe [email protected] File Recovery [email protected] File Recovery searches for lost RAIDs is one of the better ones - I remember using a partition recovery boot disk of theirs some years ago.

    You'll be familiar with the quick scan and deeper scan these programs offer.

    I think what would worry me is that you don't seem to have a backup of some of your data.
    I put my images on a 2Tb hard drive, allowing for a base image and a number of differentials, giving plenty of space. You can see my disks from my specs.

    As you know, base images are smaller than the data imaged, so images taking up, say, 0.5Tb, are quite manageable.

    And once imaged, a differential image is relatively quick.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    As you know, base images are smaller than the data imaged, so images taking up, say, 0.5Tb, are quite manageable.
    That is true if the data is compressible. Video files, which make up 99% of the data I am interested in protecting, are often not compressible. In fact, doing a test yesterday on a set of 23 GB worth of video files (files that would fit on a Blu-ray - R disc) resulted in an image that was 23.1 GB. The compression scheme added data by trying to compress the videos that could not be compressed.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 13,683
    Windows10
       #6

    Xilnik said:
    That is true if the data is compressible. Video files, which make up 99% of the data I am interested in protecting, are often not compressible. In fact, doing a test yesterday on a set of 23 GB worth of video files (files that would fit on a Blu-ray - R disc) resulted in an image that was 23.1 GB. The compression scheme added data by trying to compress the videos that could not be compressed.
    Well, you have more chance of recovering small files rather than large files - the moment you delete a large file it gives OS lots of room to write temporary files, new files etc. and impact could be seconds after deletion.

    You risk losing all your data - it is not a case of IF a drive will fail but WHEN it will fail. All drives fail sooner or later.

    So if you do not backup your data, you risk losing everything.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #7

    cereberus said:
    Well, you have more chance of recovering small files rather than large files - the moment you delete a large file it gives OS lots of room to write temporary files, new files etc. and impact could be seconds after deletion.

    You risk losing all your data - it is not a case of IF a drive will fail but WHEN it will fail. All drives fail sooner or later.

    So if you do not backup your data, you risk losing everything.
    My data is on several SSDs, so the when for failure is more predictable.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 83
    Windows 10 Professional
    Thread Starter
       #8

    File recovery does not seem to work too well on larger files, as already mentioned by cereberus. Or maybe it's that these are MP4 formatted? As I recall, AVI files were more robust and recoverable/repairable. At any rate, I'll just have to change my practices a little to prevent myself from accidentally permanently deleting files. I've already changed some of my habits this weekend to prevent loss of backup data should ransomware somehow find its way onto one of my systems.

    As far as [email protected] File Recovery searches for lost RAIDs goes, the paid recovery tools might work, but I'm not willing to pay for them without a money back guarantee if they fail. The demo/trial versions do not offer functionality to show that the MP4 files would be successfully recovered.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:46.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums