Difference between backup wizards?


  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1

    Difference between backup wizards?


    Hey folks!

    I can't figure out what the difference between the "system image"-wizard and the "file backup"-wizard is, regarding a full system image.

    I know that the last wizard backs up system files plus user files like "Documents", "Photos" and so on. But I just want to create a full system image and I'm not sure whether the "file backup"-wizard does the same as the "system image"-wizard in case I just select the "Computer" checkbox and not the "User data" checkbox (see pictures given in 1. and 2.)

    Note: Although I'm running Win 10 Pro, I'm using the old Win 7 backup window.

    Here are some screenshots:

    Difference between backup wizards?-mainscreen.png

    1. system image wizard:

    Difference between backup wizards?-systemimage.png

    2. file backup wizard (screenshot is in German):

    Difference between backup wizards?-filebackup.png

    So once again, does the wizard shown in picture 1. do the same as the wizard in picture 2. (note red frames)


    Thank's in advance,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Difference between backup wizards?-unbenannt.png   Difference between backup wizards?-filebackup.png  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,575
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    I just want to create a full system image
    Regular contributors here (including me) repeatedly recommend Macrium Reflect (free) for disk imaging. Why?
    - much more robust
    - supported and maintained
    - much more flexible
    - more reliable (especially in respect of accessing external disks)
    - more feature rich
    - has a very useful boot disk with a good boot repair tool

    Rather than using the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool supplied with Windows, try Macrium R. Its 'Windows Backup' option will automatically select all the partitions related to Windows.

    Only downside- the GUI is a bit 'geek' oriented.

    Just try searching the forum for 'Backup and Restore' threads...
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 25,084
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    michaelgierer3 said:
    I can't figure out what the difference between the "system image"-wizard and the "file backup"-wizard is, regarding a full system image.
    Unlike 99% of this forum (apparently) I have learned to live with the quirks of Windows own 'System Image'. Macrium is by far the better product, but I have found Windows own to be good enough for my purposes.


    The answer to your question is simple. Backup & Restore (Windows 7) has two completely independent processes - one to back up files and documents and another to create system images. If you use the file backup one and tick the 'include a system image' the system image process will be started once the file backups have completed. The system image created will be identical whichever way you choose to start it.

    Personally I find the file/documents backup a awkward and clumsy way to back up documents, preferring to use my own batch files to perform regular Full or Incremental backups. As a second line of defence I have File History turned on. Backup & Restore's 'Make a system image' option is the only one I find useful.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Thank you for your fast help!

    First of all, I know that Windows Imaging isn't the best tool to create a backup. I'm also using Acronis True Image 2017, but I want to use a scheduled backup plan, which Windows board tools support very good.

    So, am I understanding that right: The "file backup"-wizard (shown in picture 2) includes the "system image"-routine. In addition, it's also possible to backup user files. In conclusion, there is no difference between the two wizards.

    Because the most important benefit of the "file backup"-wizard is the automatic scheduling plan! The normal system imaging tool doesn't support that (or I haven't found this till yet).

    Then, I'm going to use the "file backup"-wizard to create a system image only, because of the scheduling plan. I don't need my personal documents backed up, so I only check "Include sytem image (and EFI-partition)".

    If my thoughts aren't true, please correct me.

    Thanks guys,
    Michael
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,697
    Windows10
       #5

    michaelgierer3 said:
    Thank you for your fast help!

    First of all, I know that Windows Imaging isn't the best tool to create a backup. I'm also using Acronis True Image 2017, but I want to use a scheduled backup plan, which Windows board tools support very good.

    So, am I understanding that right: The "file backup"-wizard (shown in picture 2) includes the "system image"-routine. In addition, it's also possible to backup user files. In conclusion, there is no difference between the two wizards.

    Because the most important benefit of the "file backup"-wizard is the automatic scheduling plan! The normal system imaging tool doesn't support that (or I haven't found this till yet).

    Then, I'm going to use the "file backup"-wizard to create a system image only, because of the scheduling plan. I don't need my personal documents backed up, so I only check "Include sytem image (and EFI-partition)".

    If my thoughts aren't true, please correct me.

    Thanks guys,
    Michael
    As recommended, use Macrium Reflect Free - it has full schedule setting capability.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,829
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #6

    Hi,

    As recommended, use Macrium Reflect Free - it has full schedule setting capability.
    Amen to that.
    I see no point in playing with Windows built in backup which is slow, takes up more space and is ultimately, well, not very reliable.
    It works fine for me but compared to Macrium Reflect free ?

    Stupid thing is that MS had very good backup software way back on the Server editions of their OS. But even way back then they were bettered by third party software a la Veritas etc.

    Anyhow, Macrium has you covered. And, it's free.

    Cheers,
    Last edited by fdegrove; 09 May 2017 at 02:28.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 13,697
    Windows10
       #7

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,



    Amen to that.
    I see no point in playing with Windows built in backup which is slow, takes up more space and is ultimately, well, not very reliable.
    It works fine for me but compared to Macrium Reflect free ?

    Stupid thing is that MS had very good backup software way back on the Server editions of their OS. But even wayt back then they were bettered by third party software a la Veritas etc.

    Anyhow, Macrium has you covered. And, it's free.

    Cheers,
    I took the plunge and paid for Macrium Reflect Home as I wanted version 7.

    Well worth the expense. I recently permanently deleted some files by mistake (we all screw up now and again) so rather than faffing around trying to recover the files, I decided to restore a backup image made day before (fortunately).

    Normally takes around 20-30 minutes, but my flabber was gasted as it only took 2 minutes!

    In the free version, it restores every file. In the paid version, it only recovers files that have changed (and deletes newer files if appropriate) using Rapid Delta Restore.

    Used it several times now. The paid version is worth it for this alone.

    Another great reason for Macrium Reflect (even Free) is the ability to install the backup image as a virtual machine using Hyper-V using another (free) Macrium tool called Viboot. You can make changes and save a new version if image backup.

    I have been using Macrium Reflect for several years and it has never let me down..Windows did a few times, as did Acronis.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:45.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums