How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 5
    Win 10
       #1

    How do I install new SSD HD as a replacement C:\ Drive?


    I currently have a 128gb SSD HD with Win10 (c drive), I also have a 2 TB HD to hold games and media, and a newly purchased 256gb SSD HD.

    My question is how do I install the new 256gb to replace the 128gb HD? I don't want to clone anything, but would like to use the files on my current c:\ and use the 128gb as another storage on my computer.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 6,976
    windows 10
       #2

    Welcome to the forum. What files do you want to keep docs,photo etc or software?. If you don't clone then you would have to do a clean install and install all software then copy files over. Why don't you want to clone it's quick and simple
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,829
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #3

    Hi,

    Using an image of the 128 Gb would go a long way and fast too.
    Macrium Reflect Free springs to mind.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Samuria said:
    Welcome to the forum. What files do you want to keep docs,photo etc or software?. If you don't clone then you would have to do a clean install and install all software then copy files over. Why don't you want to clone it's quick and simple
    Thank you :)

    I do want to keep the boot drive documents: photos, documents, music etc. Not the OS. I want to install the OS on my larger SSD HD and use my current boot drive as an extra drive.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,829
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #5

    Hi,

    As said, an image should do the trick. You can then wipe your current drive and use it as spare storage if you like.

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    This is what I would do, given what you want. (Really, I would clone, but you don't want to do that.):

    Connect only the new SSD. Leave the old SSD and the HDD disconnected. Clean install Windows 10 to the new SSD. Once that is booting and running by itself, then connect the old SSD and HDD. Once everything is going the way you want, then wipe the old SSD. If for some reason you can't get things running the way you want - for example you may find that your saved games on the HDD won't install the way you want, then you can always image the old SSD to the new SSD, until the point you wipe it.

    Of course, you can always save an image of the old SSD onto the HDD as well, using a good backup program like Macrium Reflect Free.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    NavyLCDR said:
    This is what I would do, given what you want. (Really, I would clone, but you don't want to do that.):

    Connect only the new SSD. Leave the old SSD and the HDD disconnected. Clean install Windows 10 to the new SSD. Once that is booting and running by itself, then connect the old SSD and HDD. Once everything is going the way you want, then wipe the old SSD. If for some reason you can't get things running the way you want - for example you may find that your saved games on the HDD won't install the way you want, then you can always image the old SSD to the new SSD, until the point you wipe it.

    Of course, you can always save an image of the old SSD onto the HDD as well, using a good backup program like Macrium Reflect Free.
    If I were to clone the old SSD to the new SSD HD could I leave both plugged into the computer or would I have to hook them up to a different computer?

    Does cloning transfer everything: files, docs, and OS?

    Also are there any free cloning HD software? I attempted to use EasUS Todo software, but would let me clone my drive while my computer was on.

    Sorry for all the questions just new to this.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 17,369
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    bobsginy said:
    If I were to clone the old SSD to the new SSD HD could I leave both plugged into the computer or would I have to hook them up to a different computer?
    You can keep them installed in the same computer.

    Does cloning transfer everything: files, docs, and OS?
    Yes, it transfers everything. Booting from the new drives looks just exactly like booting from the old drive. If the new drive is a different size than the old drive you can adjust the size of the OS partition to fill it (or reduce it if it is smaller). Just make sure to clone all the necessary partitions - you probably have an EFI System or System Reserved Partition and the OS partition - both of those need to be copied. The active recovery partition should also be copied, but is not 100% necessary. If in doubt, just clone all the partitions from the old drive and adjust the size of the OS partition as needed.

    Also are there any free cloning HD software? I attempted to use EasUS Todo software, but would let me clone my drive while my computer was on.
    Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

    and

    MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

    Both have cloning capability. Or, if you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

    And boot the computer from it, it has both Macrium Reflect free and MiniTool Partition Wizard already on it. It also has AEOMI Partition Wizard which I am pretty sure also does cloning.

    Sorry for all the questions just new to this.[/QUOTE]
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 5
    Win 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    NavyLCDR said:
    You can keep them installed in the same computer.



    Yes, it transfers everything. Booting from the new drives looks just exactly like booting from the old drive. If the new drive is a different size than the old drive you can adjust the size of the OS partition to fill it (or reduce it if it is smaller). Just make sure to clone all the necessary partitions - you probably have an EFI System or System Reserved Partition and the OS partition - both of those need to be copied. The active recovery partition should also be copied, but is not 100% necessary. If in doubt, just clone all the partitions from the old drive and adjust the size of the OS partition as needed.



    Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software

    and

    MiniTool Partition Wizard:
    Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Free

    Both have cloning capability. Or, if you make a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - - Windows 10 Forums

    And boot the computer from it, it has both Macrium Reflect free and MiniTool Partition Wizard already on it. It also has AEOMI Partition Wizard which I am pretty sure also does cloning.

    Sorry for all the questions just new to this.
    [/QUOTE]
    Thank you for the helpful info. Are there any youtube or online guides for doing this?
      My Computer

  10.   My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:51.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums