Windows 10: How can I backup the whole system?

  1.    22 Mar 2017 #1

    How can I backup the whole system?


    Hello,

    Long story short I just got myself a brand new Laptop that comes with Windows 10 64-bit pre-installed, however, I don't wish to use Windows 10 and would like to know how can I back up the whole system, installed files, everything! etc...

    In case I don't want it any more or something is wrong I can just reinstall the default windows 10 with everything it had and return it.

    Thank you
    -Cat
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,808
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Mar 2017 #2

    Welcome to TenForums.

    To return a PC that was built for Windows 10 to its default you don't need to make a backup. You just need to reset Windows.
    Reset Windows 10

    Most of the major brands have added their custom driver/utilities to the reset configuration so a reset should put it back to 'as supplied' condition. Check you manufacturer's website or the manual for their 'restore to factory settings' instructions.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    22 Mar 2017 #3

    Bree said: View Post
    Welcome to TenForums.

    To return a PC that was built for Windows 10 to its default you don't need to make a backup. You just need to reset Windows.
    Reset Windows 10

    Most of the major brands have added their custom driver/utilities to the reset configuration so a reset should put it back to 'as supplied' condition. Check you manufacturer's website or the manual for their 'restore to factory settings' instructions.
    And this would work even do I plan on formatting the computer and install Win 7?

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,808
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Mar 2017 #4

    cat443 said: View Post
    And this would work even do I plan on formatting the computer and install Win 7?
    LoL! No...


    ...but are you sure you can use 7 on a new PC?
    Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    22 Mar 2017 #5

    Bree said: View Post
    LoL! No...


    ...but are you sure you can use 7 on a new PC?
    Microsoft locks Ryzen and Kaby Lake users out of updates on Windows 7
    Yeh I should be able to, I mean I don't see why not lol. It has a Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (if that helps!)

    I'm a IT student so I should be able to find a work around if not then Maybe Linux, I know this is a forum for Windows 10 but I did not know where to ask and I thought here was best.

    So what's the best method to back it up encase I would need to send it back? But do you think the company would even care, I brought it from Dell.

    Cheers!
    Cat
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 8,808
    10 Home x64 (1809) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       22 Mar 2017 #6

    cat443 said: View Post
    So what's the best method to back it up encase I would need to send it back? ... I brought it from Dell.
    Dell say create a recovery drive...
    ... making sure to keep the check box next to Back up system files to the recovery drive checked...
    Create Windows 10 recovery media for your Dell computer | Dell UK
    The 'system files' will include Dell's additional files/utilities so you should be able to use it to put it back to 'factory settings'.

    ..do you think the company would even care?
    No, they'd probably just re-image it and sell it as 'refurbished'.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    22 Mar 2017 #7

    You could just save the whole lot (every partition) with macrium and restore it back if you need to.

    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    22 Mar 2017 #8

    cat443 said: View Post
    Yeh I should be able to, I mean I don't see why not lol. It has a Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Processor (if that helps!)

    I'm a IT student so I should be able to find a work around if not then Maybe Linux, I know this is a forum for Windows 10 but I did not know where to ask and I thought here was best.

    So what's the best method to back it up encase I would need to send it back? But do you think the company would even care, I brought it from Dell.

    Cheers!
    Cat
    As an IT student, I am surprised you want to use decade old technology on a new pc. Many people are finding Windows 7 does not have adequate 3rd party drivers for new pcs.

    If it was me, I would create a virtual hard drive, install windows 7 in it as dual boot to test it works first.

    Image backup using Macrium Reflect is a good plan.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I have had win 10 on my laptop 5 months or so being upgraded from win 8, 8.1 etc. In this time I have not been able to backup to my (eSATA) external HD. I need to do some program work so I want to back up before going ahead. Before someone says use...
I have just upgraded and am backing up my system image to an external drive. I've noticed that the path showing is Control Panel> All Control Panel Items> Backup and Restore (Windows 7). I don't understand that path, when I'm dealing with Windows...
Solved System Backup in Backup and Restore
After spending two days to get my computer reprogram after a Diskpart failure I want to do a backup on the drive. Is the Windows10 backup good to use,or do I need something else. If I do a complete backup can I restore it to another formatted drive...
System image backup in Backup and Restore
Hey guys. Sorry if this ain't the proper section. I'm trying to back up a system image on windows 10 but every time it gives me an error saying the backup failed and that "The specific backup storage location has the shadow copy on another volume."...
I've recently upgraded 8.1 to 10. Things seemed somewhat okay but before I try to do anything with programs, etc., I want to back up and also make a system image to an external drive. This will not happen, I get error codes, 0x807800c5 and...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:08.
Find Us