Windows 10: I bought a Seagate external hard drive and it won't let me use Acronis

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    05 Mar 2017 #51

    Isn't this a laptop? In which case you don't need any adaptor kits, laptop drives are 2.5" According to your specs this is the actual drive you have at the moment
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 which is a 2.5" drive.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    05 Mar 2017 #52

    clam1952 said: View Post
    Isn't this a laptop? In which case you don't need any adaptor kits, laptop drives are 2.5" According to your specs this is the actual drive you have at the moment
    TOSHIBA MQ01ABD100 which is a 2.5" drive.
    I thought so. Thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,471
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       05 Mar 2017 #53

    hollyoaks777 said: View Post
    Thanks. Is it just a faster boot up?or faster at everything when your OS is up and running?
    This thread started out with problems backing up to an external HDD but it now seems you also have problems with the installed system disk in your laptop - is that correct? If so, please make a complete system backup now of your laptop's drive before it fails. Most people on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect Free. It will then be fairly straightforward to recover your system to a new system disk. Otherwise you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall all of your programs and data.

    Boot time on my SSD based Dell laptop is 15s (no fast boot) and access to everything is far faster. The laptop is more robust since the SSD is solid state and you don't risk damaging a fragile spinning disk in a HDD. SSDs may also draw less power. You won't want to go back to a slow HDD based PC once you have a SSD!

    I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB for my laptop last year but there may be better options now. The disk just fits in place easily if you have the standard 2.5" mounting bay. I just spotted looking at my Amazon orders that I paid £110 for this SSD last year but the price is now £150! Maybe this is due to Brexit and the decline in the value of sterling?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    05 Mar 2017 #54

    Steve C said: View Post
    This thread started out with problems backing up to an external HDD but it now seems you also have problems with the installed system disk in your laptop - is that correct? If so, please make a complete system backup now of your laptop's drive before it fails. Most people on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect Free. It will then be fairly straightforward to recover your system to a new system disk. Otherwise you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall all of your programs and data.

    Boot time on my SSD based Dell laptop is 15s (no fast boot) and access to everything is far faster. The laptop is more robust since the SSD is solid state and you don't risk damaging a fragile spinning disk in a HDD. SSDs may also draw less power. You won't want to go back to a slow HDD based PC once you have a SSD!

    I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB for my laptop last year but there may be better options now. The disk just fits in place easily if you have the standard 2.5" mounting bay. I just spotted looking at my Amazon orders that I paid £110 for this SSD last year but the price is now £150! Maybe this is due to Brexit and the decline in the value of sterling?
    If I remember correctly Steve, Holly has tried making her backup twice at least, using both Acronis and Macrium, failed everytime.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    05 Mar 2017 #55

    Steve C said: View Post
    This thread started out with problems backing up to an external HDD but it now seems you also have problems with the installed system disk in your laptop - is that correct? If so, please make a complete system backup now of your laptop's drive before it fails. Most people on this forum recommend Macrium Reflect Free. It will then be fairly straightforward to recover your system to a new system disk. Otherwise you will need to do a clean install of Windows 10 and reinstall all of your programs and data.

    Boot time on my SSD based Dell laptop is 15s (no fast boot) and access to everything is far faster. The laptop is more robust since the SSD is solid state and you don't risk damaging a fragile spinning disk in a HDD. SSDs may also draw less power. You won't want to go back to a slow HDD based PC once you have a SSD!

    I bought a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB for my laptop last year but there may be better options now. The disk just fits in place easily if you have the standard 2.5" mounting bay. I just spotted looking at my Amazon orders that I paid £110 for this SSD last year but the price is now £150! Maybe this is due to Brexit and the decline in the value of sterling?
    Correct apart from the pc is HP Dell is my old pc. But basically that's what I'm going to have to do. I have wondered. How does that work copying an image onto a new hard drive. Does it not copy all the faults too?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Mar 2017 #56

    hollyoaks777 said: View Post
    Correct apart from the pc is HP Dell is my old pc. But basically that's what I'm going to have to do. I have wondered. How does that work copying an image onto a new hard drive. Does it not copy all the faults too?
    I think it is windows 10 when i built my recent build i had a big problem getting my Seagate drive to function normally under windows 10

    The drive path might be flawed i would go to Disk Management and see if he can get it to behave correctly if i recall i had to get in there and do a bunch of stuff to make the hard drive usableClick image for larger version. 

Name:	dm.PNG 
Views:	3 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	123850
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    05 Mar 2017 #57

    The problem is NOT the Seagate external hard drive! The error in post #25 is VERY CLEAR. It is bad sectors on the installed hard drive which cannot be read and that is halting whatever backup program is being used. You can do whatever you want to to the external hard drive, including replacing it, and that will not change anything because the bad sectors are on the internal hard drive!

    hollyoaks777 said: View Post
    Correct apart from the pc is HP Dell is my old pc. But basically that's what I'm going to have to do. I have wondered. How does that work copying an image onto a new hard drive. Does it not copy all the faults too?
    Yes and no. Whatever files that are affected by the bad sectors will be lost. As of post #25, the bad sectors were limited to the Windows Recovery Environment Partition. When you copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive, the affected files will not be copied.

    Here's a little trick. If the bad sectors have not spread, and are still only in the Windows Recovery Environment partition, just delete it. Seriously. If there are no bad sectors in any of the other partitions, just delete the WinRE partition (I would use MiniTool Partition Wizard). All your problems will go away. Until the bad sectors grow and start to affect the other partitions. Do not confuse the WinRE partition with the D: drive recovery partition. We are talking about the WinRE partition that does not have a drive letter assigned to it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Mar 2017 #58

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The problem is NOT the Seagate external hard drive! The error in post #25 is VERY CLEAR. It is bad sectors on the installed hard drive which cannot be read and that is halting whatever backup program is being used. You can do whatever you want to to the external hard drive, including replacing it, and that will not change anything because the bad sectors are on the internal hard drive!
    Holly, please listen to NavyLCDR he knows what he's talking about.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    05 Mar 2017 #59

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    The problem is NOT the Seagate external hard drive! The error in post #25 is VERY CLEAR. It is bad sectors on the installed hard drive which cannot be read and that is halting whatever backup program is being used. You can do whatever you want to to the external hard drive, including replacing it, and that will not change anything because the bad sectors are on the internal hard drive!



    Yes and no. Whatever files that are affected by the bad sectors will be lost. As of post #25, the bad sectors were limited to the Windows Recovery Environment Partition. When you copy the old hard drive to the new hard drive, the affected files will not be copied.

    Here's a little trick. If the bad sectors have not spread, and are still only in the Windows Recovery Environment partition, just delete it. Seriously. If there are no bad sectors in any of the other partitions, just delete the WinRE partition (I would use MiniTool Partition Wizard). All your problems will go away. Until the bad sectors grow and start to affect the other partitions. Do not confuse the WinRE partition with the D: drive recovery partition. We are talking about the WinRE partition that does not have a drive letter assigned to it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Disk partition tool.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	123863
    Is this talking about my external hard drive will loose everything. Or My internal drive will loose everything. Quick answer please countdown to failure has begun. Very unresponsive. I will try and add to peoples rep. while I still have an os
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    05 Mar 2017 #60

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    Holly, please listen to NavyLCDR he knows what he's talking about.
    I don't know what to say here I am listening. And I know it's my internal drive that's failing. My question was about the bad sectors on my internal drive being copied to my new drive whatever it may be. I wasn't questioning anyone's advice just the person that said I would need a 2.5" to 3.5" disk converter pack. That was the only thing I questioned. And i was right to do so as I only need a 2.5" disc. But whoever it was said I needed a 3.5" converter pack.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    I just got my laptop back from having the fan replaced and the data has been wiped. I thought this wouldn't be an issue because I'd made a backup using the Seagate dashboard program, but as it turns out, none of my programs will transfer over. I...
    I recently purchased a Seagate Momentus 5400.6 hard drive and a Sabrent USB 3.0 SATA Hard Drive flat docking station to connect via usb to my Dell XPS L702x laptop. Upon putting the hard drive in the external enclosure and connecting to my laptop...
    I bought Orico Hard drive housing in Installation and Upgrade
    Is there anyway I can make this bootable as I have my dell hard Drive in it. And display went on dell on second hard drive Etc. It's far to old to sink any more money into it so I bought a new one with Windows 10 Home upgrade. I would prefer to have...
    I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and post that It was working fine without any issues. I have two external drive connected to it. 1. 1 TB Iomega powered drive. - now RAW 2. 2TB seagate external drive. The 1tb drive suddenly became RAW and I...
    Seagate External Drive Not Waking in Drivers and Hardware
    I have a Seagate external drive that I save my backups to. I run my backup around midnight, when the computer has not been used for a good 5-6 hours. I have been getting errors with the backup that the drive has not been accessible and thus the...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44.
    Find Us