Windows 10: Windows 10 System Image Solved

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 32,456
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       31 Jan 2017 #21

    reelme said: View Post
    Great advice Tomcat. I never knew that was their schedule. By the way, do most people just do a system image one time then do their regular backups thereafter? Just seems to me, I guess depending on how long a system image takes, that it would be simpler just to zap the entire thing. But I guess a lot of people are creating or changing files constantly. Thanks, I appreciate the help.
    @reelme Are you actually running Windows XP? As it states in your system specs? Had to ask....

    As far as the system versus "regular"....when Macrium backs up, it includes everything...the OS, your files, system partitions - everything. My backup is of approx. 50 GB which compresses down to about 33 GB and takes 10 minutes to completely backup and verify. To an external drive. I don't have it hard scheduled, although I could. I fire up the backup at the end of the day while I'm eating dinner, or something else. 10 minutes is not hard to find for something so important. I keep a rolling 10 day full complete backup, and weekly to another removal drive. There is an old saying you will hear many times on this forum... "You can never have too many backups" .

    Something you need to be aware of with Macrium. You can "mount" (open with explorer) any saved image and look at and copy any file or files you want to anywhere. You're not stuck with having to replace everything with a complete restore. Complete restores put you back exactly where you were, but you can pick individual files/folders. Really no different than copying a file/folder from one area to another.

    There are also lots of other methods for file saving/syncing, such as Windows File History (which I personally avoid like the plague), Sync Toy (fast, accurate, easy), and many others. A balanced plan for backup is in your best interest. Getting into the habit of backing up can save you lots of headaches and time, if you have a system problem.

    Rambling a bit, but just trying to emphasize how important backups are. Hope this helps. TC
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jan 2017 #22

    Hey Tomcat, the PC I just replaced was XP. My new one is Windows 10. I appreciate your pointers. I will try Macrium and do the full system backups regularly since they are so quick. Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jan 2017 #23

    Hey Navy LCDR and Tomcat, just to make sure I am super clear on this - I think I understand that unlike Windows 10 system image, in Macrium I can not only create a system image, I CAN ALSO use this image to extract (mount) individual files or folders if needed. Is that correct? If so, that makes my idea of just doing the system image periodically even more appealing since I wouldn't even need to back up any individual files. If I am repeating myself, sorry, just making sure before I commit to something.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Jan 2017 #24

    Macrium can create a system image- that's the set of partitions needed for Windows.

    Essentially it intelligently 'ticks' the relevant set of partitions when that's selected - you can see that before it starts.

    Yes an image (set) contains everything on the partitions/disks selected and can be mounted and viewed as files/folders in file explorer.

    If you have important docs updated more frequently than you update your image set(s) you may wish to use additional backup regimes- e.g. Windows file history or one of the many backup programs around.

    Macrium Reflect v6 User Guide - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 32,456
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       31 Jan 2017 #25

    reelme said: View Post
    Hey Navy LCDR and Tomcat, just to make sure I am super clear on this - I think I understand that unlike Windows 10 system image, in Macrium I can not only create a system image, I CAN ALSO use this image to extract (mount) individual files or folders if needed. Is that correct? If so, that makes my idea of just doing the system image periodically even more appealing since I wouldn't even need to back up any individual files. If I am repeating myself, sorry, just making sure before I commit to something.
    @reelme That is correct. As I said in my post, you have the option anytime to mount any image any time and pull any file from it. Easy to do. It's a good choice.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    31 Jan 2017 #26

    Excellent, sounds good. In Macrium's guide, they said the following:

    "With Macrium Reflect, you can clone your system disks to enable you to swap failed disks out of your system and get things back up and running again in minutes.
    Cloning is often confused with imaging. The process is identical but instead of storing data to a file, it replicates volume contents and disk structures to an alternative device. When the cloning process is complete, the target disk is identical to the original and contains a duplicate of all volumes, files, operating systems and applications."

    So, when using Reflect, should I image or clone? I thought they were the same until reading that. Which would allow me to do what I want?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 32,456
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       31 Jan 2017 #27

    reelme said: View Post
    Excellent, sounds good. In Macrium's guide, they said the following:

    "With Macrium Reflect, you can clone your system disks to enable you to swap failed disks out of your system and get things back up and running again in minutes.
    Cloning is often confused with imaging. The process is identical but instead of storing data to a file, it replicates volume contents and disk structures to an alternative device. When the cloning process is complete, the target disk is identical to the original and contains a duplicate of all volumes, files, operating systems and applications."

    So, when using Reflect, should I image or clone? I thought they were the same until reading that. Which would allow me to do what I want?
    For daily/monthly regular backups, you would use the imaging. Cloning is a special case and not for everyday use.

    Excellent tutorial here:

    Macrium Reflect - Backup and Restore
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,446
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       31 Jan 2017 #28

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    reelme said:
    ...unlike Windows 10 system image...
    @reelme That is correct...
    Not that bit, you can mount a system image created by Windows 10's backup & restore, not that's any reason to use it - just saying, is all
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 32,456
    Triple boot - Win 10 Pro, Win 10 Pro Insider (2) - (and a sprinkling of VMs)
       31 Jan 2017 #29

    Bree said: View Post
    Not that bit, you can mount a system image created by Windows 10's backup & restore, not that's any reason to use it - just saying, is all
    If you can find it! And figure out which VHD. And the one from last week is still there! Etc.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 6,446
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       31 Jan 2017 #30

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    If you can find it! And figure out which VHD. And the one from last week is still there! Etc.
    No one said it was easy - just possible
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

    Related Threads
    Backup & Restore Create System Image in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    How to Create a System Image in Windows 10 A system image is an exact copy of all system disks which can be used to restore your PC to the state it was in at the time the image was made. By default, a system image only includes the drives that...
    How to Create Hardware Independent System Image for Installing Windows 10 In this tutorial we will prepare a Windows 10 image customizing the default user profile and install software we want to include in a clean Windows installation. When...
    When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in...
    Hi everyone, There seems to be a lot of these kinds of questions on the net but none have very satisfying answers, and I was hoping someone out there can help. I'm trying to create a backup system image using the Backup and Restore function in...
    The other day I thought I'd made a system image of Windows 10, which is now my OS. But, I see it says "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". So, did I just backup my previous OS then, and not my current OS? And if so, can I make a system image of my...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:08.
    Find Us