Windows 10: Back up reminders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    27 Nov 2016 #1

    Back up reminders


    How do I stop the incessant reminders from the Action Centre to perform a back up?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    27 Nov 2016 #2

    Are the reminders from File History (guess)? What's the exact message?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Nov 2016 #3

    Don't know where they are from, but every few weeks the Action Centre reminds me to create a backup. I use separate arrangements for my h/d backups.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Nov 2016 #4

    If it's not file history, could be a scheduled task related to whatever program you use.
    You'd need the exact text to help identify it.
    Also, when it pops up, you might be able to use Winspy++ (free) to identify it- drag the target over the dialogue to get info on it.

    If it's a scheduled task, TaskschedulerView (free) allows you to search tasks conveniently.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Nov 2016 #5

    It's something which started when I "upgraded" to Win 10. Nothing to do with my back up arrangementsseum;877768]Don't know where they are from, but every few weeks the Action Centre reminds me to create a backup. I use separate arrangements for my h/d backups.[/QUOTE]
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    28 Nov 2016 #6

    Without the message, it's a wild guess. I've never seen this.
    The two systems within Windows- forgetting anything you've installed- related to backups are

    File History- you can check here:
    Control Panel\System and Security\File History
    (default is off)

    and

    Control Panel\System and Security\Back up and Restore (Windows 7)

    If you check those and they are off, can only suggest it's something inherited from Win 7 or related to a 3rd party program

    An internet search for
    Windows 10 backup notification
    gives
    Solved How to stop Backup Notification - Windows 10 Forums
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...n-in-windows-7
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    28 Nov 2016 #7

    I do not see System and Security in the control panel - I see Security and Maintenance or System. That recommended solution does not work. Yes I can see Security and Maintenance but that just leads to "Check Backup settings. Windows cannot find the disk or network where your backups are being saved. If I select options Windows starts to try and do a back up! I do not need that. Change
    dalchina said: View Post
    Without the message, it's a wild guess. I've never seen this.
    The two systems within Windows- forgetting anything you've installed- related to backups are

    File History- you can check here:
    Control Panel\System and Security\File History
    (default is off)

    and

    Control Panel\System and Security\Back up and Restore (Windows 7)

    If you check those and they are off, can only suggest it's something inherited from Win 7 or related to a 3rd party program

    An internet search for
    Windows 10 backup notification
    gives
    Solved How to stop Backup Notification - Windows 10 Forums
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to...n-in-windows-7
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    28 Nov 2016 #8

    Let's do it by pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.15.45.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	111690

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.16.55.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	111692
    Settings, search for file history:
    This is what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.18.23.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	111691

    In other words, make sure these are turned off.

    Without the exact error message, can't research further.
    Maybe someone else can help you. Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    28 Nov 2016 #9

    File history is already turned off. I will wait for the next alert and post back. Just another crappy quirk of Win 10!
    dalchina said: View Post
    Let's do it by pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.15.45.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	111690

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.16.55.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	111692
    Settings, search for file history:
    This is what I see:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-11-28 at 11.18.23.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	111691

    In other words, make sure these are turned off.

    Without the exact error message, can't research further.
    Maybe someone else can help you. Good luck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    26 Dec 2016 #10

    see attached screen shot
    dalchina said: View Post
    Are the reminders from File History (guess)? What's the exact message?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_12_26_09_34_271.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	1,000.9 KB 
ID:	114840
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Reminders not working in Software and Apps
I am on windows 10 Pro 10586.63 with all updates applied. Whether through Cortana or by keyboard, the data is accepted but when I hit the REMIND button it comes back with an error message saying the reminder can't be placed. I did a lot...
Every time that I start up my laptop and load up my desktop, Compatibility Assistant gives me the exact same reminders every time. What do I need to do to stop this constant notification every time that I start up my system? Notifications: We...
When I set a Cortana reminder on my phone, my PC doesn't give me the alert. When I set it using my PC, my phone doesn't get the memo. However, calendar appointments give me alerts on all my devices simultaneously. Is this a windows phone 8.1 vs....
See Cortana Reminders on iPhone in Software and Apps
The answer to this may simply be, "Wait for the Cortana iOS app" but I thought I'd ask. Is there a way to get Cortana's reminders on the iPhone? When you create a reminder on Windows 10 does it get stored in a calendar that you could then sync to...
Using Cortana and it shows birthday reminders. Can these be turned off?
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58.
Find Us