Windows 10: Thank God for my Macrium Reflex Boot Recovery . . . . Solved

  1.    04 Oct 2016 #1

    Thank God for my Macrium Reflex Boot Recovery . . . .


    From Sleep, since recent updates, Windows will not boot . . . Question . . . .should I create a newer Macrium Reflect recovery disk? Current disk is saving my A**!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Oct 2016 #2

    Naw, a new one is not needed; as each version's update roll-out occurs, a new one is nice. I make usb boot sticks because such can be updated while a DVD can't be updated, only replaced.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 8,212
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       04 Oct 2016 #3

    I usually make a new one with each update. Whether it is necessary, I can't say. It's just better to play it safe in my opinion.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,532
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       04 Oct 2016 #4

    If you use the Reflect recovery boot menu, you will need to remove then reinstall it to be sure of having the latest recovery files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 Oct 2016 #5

    Steve C said: View Post
    If you use the Reflect recovery boot menu, you will need to remove then reinstall it to be sure of having the latest recovery files.
    This is not true. No need to do this at all - it always uses latest version installed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,532
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       04 Oct 2016 #6

    cereberus said: View Post
    This is not true. No need to do this at all - it always uses latest version installed.
    There may be issues if you have upgraded from Windows 8.1 - see post 7 at https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...nu-option.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    04 Oct 2016 #7

    Steve C said: View Post
    There may be issues if you have upgraded from Windows 8.1 - see post 7 at https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...nu-option.html
    Sure but definitely not needed for upgrading MR on same version of Windows 10. Even build upgrades do not affect it. Oddly enough, using the MR 'fix windows boot problems' deletes the MR boot entry so you have to redo it - LOL!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    04 Oct 2016 #8

    cereberus said: View Post
    This is not true. No need to do this at all - it always uses latest version installed.
    That's definitely NOT been my experience.

    When I update the installed MR version, it does NOT update the WinPE boot files. I have confirmed this numerous times.

    Instead, after I update the installed MR version, I then use the option to create recovery boot media, during which it DOES then update the WinPE boot files, and then I cancel out -- or rewrite the boot files on the USB stick, depending on what I want to do at the time.

    However, there is no need to manually uninstall and reinstall the WinPE boot files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    05 Oct 2016 #9

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    That's definitely NOT been my experience.

    When I update the installed MR version, it does NOT update the WinPE boot files. I have confirmed this numerous times.

    Instead, after I update the installed MR version, I then use the option to create recovery boot media, during which it DOES then update the WinPE boot files, and then I cancel out -- or rewrite the boot files on the USB stick, depending on what I want to do at the time.

    However, there is no need to manually uninstall and reinstall the WinPE boot files.
    I was not talking about the boot files - I was talking about having to change the boot entry which previous poster said you have to redo each time there is an upgrade.

    Of course, you need to update the winpe boot files. I do that every time even though it may not be needed all the time just in case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    05 Oct 2016 #10

    essenbe said: View Post
    I usually make a new one with each update. Whether it is necessary, I can't say. It's just better to play it safe in my opinion.
    Lookingback, I'll +1 ya I was only talking about the existing backup images -- I have found that regardless of MR version, I can restore anytime.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Please forgive me for not reading the whole "Window 10 Recovery Tools" thread before posting this, but that's a very long thread. I am a long time user of Acronis True Image. Lately I've run into a few peculiarities that have me looking at...
After much persuasion from you guys, and having encountered a real issue/bug with Windows own disk imager :) I'm giving Macrium Reflect a fair trial. Quick question hopefully. I've installed the Macrium 'Add recovery Boot Menu' option so that...
Hey Guys I was a poster on the SevenForums, but it appears that usernames and logins don't transfer from there? Anyhow ive registered a new account here to post my (hopefully simple) query: Ive just followed Brinks amazing Clean Install W10...
I have installed Macrium and am about to make the rescue media. Which PE version should I use? Am running Win 10. Thank you.
Problem with Macrium Reflex in Backup and Restore
Is anyone else having a problem using the free Macrium Reflex with Windows 10? I tried to install it and nothing went right with it.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:11.
Find Us