Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
  1.    31 Oct 2016 #61
    Join Date : Aug 2016
    S/E England
    Posts : 4,182
    10 Home x64 (1709) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)

    File History is an excellent idea, though bear in mind it only backs up your user files. I'd recommend it should always be turned on, preferably pointing to a network drive so it never complains about a disconnected drive. That's not to say you shouldn't also use other more conventional backup regimes as well (as I do) but as a 'turn it on and forget about it' solution that works unobtrusively in the background it can't be beaten (IMHO).

    (you can never have enough backups)
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    01 Nov 2016 #62
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 374
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks so much!

    New problem:

    I just found two folders with many .DOC files inside them. Many of them have the identical file name, but I don't know if their contents are identical... It would take me days to open each individual .DOC file and compare them manually so how can I compare them and see which .DOC files are different?

    Thanks for any help!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Nov 2016 #63
    Join Date : Dec 2014
    Posts : 416
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Thanks, but I still feel less safe knowing that a 3rd party app is able to view all of my files.

    Is the backup system in Windows 10 Pro really much worse than Macrium or other 3rd party backup apps???

    No offence, but you think a third party backups may be less discrete with your files than Microsoft? That is pretty nave, You should read Macrium privacy policies and compare them to Microsoft's. Or stick your head in the sand and put plind faith in Microsoft.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    03 Nov 2016 #64
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,149
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Thanks so much!

    New problem:

    I just found two folders with many .DOC files inside them. Many of them have the identical file name, but I don't know if their contents are identical... It would take me days to open each individual .DOC file and compare them manually so how can I compare them and see which .DOC files are different?

    Thanks for any help!
    Right click the files and select properties. If the number of bytes for file size is the same you are 99% guaranteed they are identical files. You have to look at the properties, though, to get the actual byte file size.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	108713
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    03 Nov 2016 #65
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 374
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Geneo View Post
    No offence, but you think a third party backups may be less discrete with your files than Microsoft? That is pretty nave, You should read Macrium privacy policies and compare them to Microsoft's. Or stick your head in the sand and put plind faith in Microsoft.
    Well, my thought was this: I already have Windows running on my PC so Microsoft already has access to my files, but by installing an app like Macrium I'd be installing another "layer" of risk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    04 Nov 2016 #66
    Join Date : Jun 2016
    Los Angeles
    Posts : 964
    Windows 10 Pro

    It doesn't matter what app you use to backup your computer, it is more about what you are comfortable with and gets the job done.
    When you use Microsoft Backup, you choose where to store your backup, just like Macrium So, Microsoft does not have access to your backup files, unless you give them access.
    If you don't like the fact that Microsoft Phones Home, you can disable these security settings on your computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Nov 2016 #67
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 374
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by spunk View Post
    It doesn't matter what app you use to backup your computer, it is more about what you are comfortable with and gets the job done.
    When you use Microsoft Backup, you choose where to store your backup, just like Macrium So, Microsoft does not have access to your backup files, unless you give them access.
    If you don't like the fact that Microsoft Phones Home, you can disable these security settings on your computer.
    Thanks!

    How do I disable Windows 10 Pro from phoning home?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Nov 2016 #68
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,149
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by NiceAndShy View Post
    Thanks!

    How do I disable Windows 10 Pro from phoning home?
    Disable all WiFi adapters and unplug all Ethernet connections.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    06 Nov 2016 #69
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    England
    Posts : 13,715
    Windows 10 Professional x64

    Hi NiceAndShy Over the years I have used a few 3rd party backup solutions and Windows own but I find Macrium Reflect to be the one that works best for me
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Nov 2016 #70
    Join Date : Sep 2016
    Posts : 374
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Hi NiceAndShy Over the years I have used a few 3rd party backup solutions and Windows own but I find Macrium Reflect to be the one that works best for me
    Macrium seems to be highly regarded so I may take another look at it.

    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't use the back button to go back to Google Search Results.
Can't use the back button to go back to Google Search Results. Any fix? We notice this in Seamonkey 2.40 I also read this is kind of an on going problem but couldn't find a solution that why I am asking here. I read it has happen in Firefox,...
Browsers and Email
Solved Win 10 Crashed am now back on Win8.1 Need to get back to Win 10.
After a computer crash on Win 10 the computer started up on Win8.1. I had a backup of 8.1 on G drive ( a hard drive partition). The computer renamed my G drive as C drive and the previous C drive (with Win 10) as G drive. So I now need to get the...
General Support
Windows back up will not back up
I have tried several times to back up my computer to an external hard drive and I keep getting the error "Invalid window handle". How do I fix this so I can create a system image?
Backup and Restore
Upgrade to W10, roll back to W7, then back to W10 - possible?
Hi there, I have a small net-top running Win7, which is primarily used as a WMC DVR/TV system in my living room. As is well known, WMC is not part of W10, and isn't coming back. I'd like to upgrade to W10 on this machine to try out some other...
Windows Updates and Activation
edge back button - no drop down to go back further than 1
the go back button on edge doesn't seem to have the ability to, when you click and hold on it, see many of the previous pages, so you can go back more than one page per click. is that possible? thanks.
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums