Macrium Reflect Backup Failures

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #51

    DavidY said:
    Interesting... because the log file contains this error (or something like it - I didn't type all of it in):
    Code:
    com call "m_pVSSObject->AddToSnapshotSet" failed
    HRESULT=0x8004230f
    VSS_E_UNEXPECTED_PROVIDER_ERROR
    And when I searched for the last error on Macrium's website, it took me here:
    http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...party+software

    Which is basically saying that, if it's the same scenario, something is left behind by some other backup software (AOMEI being a candidate) which stops VSS working. Although I do have AOMEI on my machine at the moment and it does seem to coexist OK with Macrium.

    So the question would be, what do you have at this registry key? And is it the same as in that Macrium article:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers

    Editing the registry is a dangerous business so I'd definitely think about doing that backup from bootable rescue media if you haven't already?
    I have only that which Macrium says that I should have for that Registry key, which does not surprise me given that Macrium worked correctly for eleven days after I removed BackUpper.

    I've not gotten to creating any bootable rescue media, other things getting in the way, such as opening my second FedEx package, looking at what I got today, which,, while it is some sort of USB module, also has two round sockets, two cables instead of one, is 3-1/2" wide instead of 1" wide. I shall next reply to yesterday's email from the technician who sent the wrong module.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #52

    Not Myself said:
    I have only that which Macrium says that I should have for that Registry key, which does not surprise me given that Macrium worked correctly for eleven days after I removed BackUpper.
    Thanks for checking that - yes - and on my machine Aomei and Backupper coexist in any case.

    So my last hope is back at those reparse points, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there, at least not the ones with Unknown Target. So I think I'd try this next (once you've sorted issues with your delivery from FedEx).

    DavidY said:
    Another tool which might help is Junction, from Microsoft's Sysinternals

    A similar enquiry to the above with fsutil would be to download Junction, unzip it to, for instance, c:\sysinternals
    Then run
    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll
    ... and post back what it says.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #53

    DavidY said:
    Thanks for checking that - yes - and on my machine Aomei and Backupper coexist in any case.

    So my last hope is back at those reparse points, which I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there, at least not the ones with Unknown Target. So I think I'd try this next (once you've sorted issues with your delivery from FedEx).
    I ran Junction, which did not seem to be doing anything, other than having a blinking cursor at the end of the command line. After a while, I decided to see what would happen if I were to press the enter key. That got the program's attention: It said "No reparse points found" and closed.

    So, the reparse points that are there are not there, my new USB module is not here (in two different forms,) McGraw-Hill created a psychology textbook specifically for the University of New Mexico, complete with, on the special front cover, the location of UNM, "Albuquergue," wherever that might not be.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #54

    Not Myself said:
    I ran Junction, which did not seem to be doing anything, other than having a blinking cursor at the end of the command line. After a while, I decided to see what would happen if I were to press the enter key. That got the program's attention: It said "No reparse points found" and closed.
    That might be my fault for not enclosing in quotes. Also you may need the -accepteula

    Could you run these instead please and show a screenshot of what it says?
    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"
    Edit: you could also try:
    Code:
    fsutil reparsepoint query "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    Also, while still in a command prompt, go to the c: drive, and type this, and show us the results
    Code:
    C:
    cd \Windows
    dir /al /s
    Which should show all the reparse points within c:\windows. (It will probably take a few minutes.)
      My Computer

  5. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 52,979
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #55

    I haven't read thru all 53 posts, but have you tried reinstalling Macrium? Let it repair any broken files and reg entries.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #56

    DavidY said:
    That might be my fault for not enclosing in quotes. Also you may need the -accepteula

    Could you run these instead please and show a screenshot of what it says?
    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"
    Edit: you could also try:
    Code:
    fsutil reparsepoint query "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    Also, while still in a command prompt, go to the c: drive, and type this, and show us the results
    Code:
    C:
    cd \Windows
    dir /al /s
    Which should show all the reparse points within c:\windows. (It will probably take a few minutes.)
    One thing accomplished today: I finally figured out what the wrong part was that was delivered today, it is the USB module for the top of the computer, whereas I need the one for the front.

    Okay, here are results. The first command quickly replied that nothing was found, so I did not bother to take a screen shot. Drat: Forum software fouled up again. I listed three files, got only one.Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-pointless.jpg

    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-more_no_points.jpgMacrium Reflect Backup  Failures-more_no_points.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #57

    f14tomcat said:
    I haven't read thru all 53 posts, but have you tried reinstalling Macrium? Let it repair any broken files and reg entries.
    Sadly, the result:

    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-macrium_failure.jpg
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #58

    Not Myself said:
    Okay, here are results. The first command quickly replied that nothing was found, so I did not bother to take a screen shot.
    Ah that was the one I really wanted to see, especially as the second one of these two *should* have found a link, because it came up in the DIR command you ran later.

    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"
    There is also the Sysinternals program FindLinks which simrick mentioned, that might be worth trying too. I think usage would be something like.
    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    Just to check, does that cmitrust.dll file still show up as Unknown Target in RKILL?

    Edit: Some more commands to try and report back on:
    Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin list shadows
    vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin list providers
    Last edited by DavidY; 26 Aug 2016 at 18:22.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #59

    =DavidY;790510]Ah that was the one I really wanted to see, especially as the second one of these two *should* have found a link, because it came up in the DIR command you ran later.

    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    c:\sysinternals\junction.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.IE5"
    The first command returned "nothing found,"

    Second command:

    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-links_found.jpg



    There is also the Sysinternals program FindLinks which simrick mentioned, that might be worth trying too. I think usage would be something like.
    Code:
    c:\sysinternals\findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll"
    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-find_links.jpg

    Just to check, does that cmitrust.dll file still show up as Unknown Target in RKILL?
    No.

    Edit: Some more commands to try and report back on:
    Code:
    vssadmin list shadowstorage
    vssadmin list shadows
    vssadmin list writers
    vssadmin list providers
    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-vssadmin.jpg

    Here is today's submission of quite fascinating reading, much of which makes as much sense to me as does much of my reading of such obscure material as medieval manuscripts.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,520
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #60

    DavidY said:
    Just to check, does that cmitrust.dll file still show up as Unknown Target in RKILL?
    Not Myself said:
    No.
    Ah so something we've done has perhaps changed (I hesitate to say 'fixed') that then?

    Could you post the latest RKILL output as text in the same way you did before (in [code][/code] tags) please?

    Not Myself said:
    Macrium Reflect Backup  Failures-find_links.jpg
    This is also interesting because it does show an actual link on the file.

    You'll note that
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_145e7a4159d239dd\cmitrust.dll
    is linked to
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..icingstack-cmitrust_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.82_none_397264147e08b82f\cmitrust.dll
    (if I typed that right.)

    What happens if you try the same command on the next one on the original RKILL list:
    Code:
    findlinks.exe -accepteula "C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-s..ingstack-base-extra_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.14393.0_none_f05abb1521a8c58e\bcdeditai.dll"
    Not Myself said:
    Here is today's submission of quite fascinating reading, much of which makes as much sense to me as does much of my reading of such obscure material as medieval manuscripts.
    I could never get the hang of the 's's that looked like 'f's...
      My Computer


 
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums