Windows 10: Macrium Reflect Backup Failures Solved

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

  1. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       02 Sep 2016 #181

    Not Myself said: View Post
    As the German Butcher said, "Gluten Morgen."


    Not Myself said: View Post
    There, that taken care of, here is screen shot of the hidden devices:

    Attachment 99387

    I have no idea what, if anything, to do with this. I don't understand your directions about deleting the folder; is that the folder which has the shadow copies? Then you say that the System Volume Information Folder is in the root of C:\; again, I need to ask what that is.

    Device Manager does show the Escort Drivers; the property sheet for my detector correctly shows that it is not connected. Continuing with my questions, how would I disable the driver(s)?
    Okay, let's try topguncp's steps:

    1. Turn System Restore OFF
    2. - you've got the hidden volume shadow copy drives showing, (your pic), so there are probably quite a few of them (there are on mine), so just right-click each one and select Uninstall.
    3. Close Device Manager and try to turn System Restore ON. See if you can create a restore point. If so, then try Macrium with a NEW test backup on Drive C, and see if it fails still.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    02 Sep 2016 #182

    simrick said: View Post




    Okay, let's try topguncp's steps:

    1. Turn System Restore OFF
    2. - you've got the hidden volume shadow copy drives showing, (your pic), so there are probably quite a few of them (there are on mine), so just right-click each one and select Uninstall.
    3. Close Device Manager and try to turn System Restore ON. See if you can create a restore point. If so, then try Macrium with a NEW test backup on Drive C, and see if it fails still.
    I cannot turn System Restore Off, as it will not turn on. That said, I removed the Shadow Copies, went to System Restore, which gave the same error message about trying to create a restore point.

    After pondering your first reply today, I decided to download the file in your link; that started, and ended with an error message I had never seen before, "File Changed On Remote Server."

    Having so far made no progress (no, that is not your fault, just another of my comments,) where do we go next?

    Chuckle: Having written the previous sentence, I recalled that you said this would likely take two hours. Not doubting your wisdom on the subject, I wondered why; I now know!

    [A while ago, it occurred to me that, in my little aside about punctuation, I failed to add anything about one of the strangest developments I have seen, the adding of an apostrophe to make something plural; of course, this does not have that effect. What it does do is make the word absurd. Example: Changing "computer" to "computer's". What does the computer possess?]
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       02 Sep 2016 #183

    Not Myself said: View Post
    I cannot turn System Restore Off, as it will not turn on. That said, I removed the Shadow Copies, went to System Restore, which gave the same error message about trying to create a restore point.
    Please try one reboot and see if System Restore will turn on.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    After pondering your first reply today, I decided to download the file in your link; that started, and ended with an error message I had never seen before, "File Changed On Remote Server."
    Hmmm....Kyhi has his files hosted here:
    ToolsLib - Downloads - Win10586PESE-x64
    (This one would work for your 64-bit system.)
    If the reboot doesn't get System Restore working, then the next step in topguncp's post was to boot to (a Linux or other system, of which Kyhi's should work), and navigate to the C partition, and delete the folder C:\System Volume Information.

    topguncp: The "System Volume Information" folder where Restore point(s) stored might be corrupted, you will need to delete it then reboot, Windows will re-create this folder. The only way to delete this folder is to boot from Linux. You can use UBUNTU, Linux Mint etc... (Google Search). Create a bootable USB then boot from it then delete the folder. Reboot and try again.
    In order to create the bootable USB stick, you can use RUFUS on Kyhi's ISO file.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    Having so far made no progress (no, that is not your fault, just another of my comments,) where do we go next?
    Please try the steps above. If we are still unsuccessful, let's try uninstalling the Escort Software, only because of the date being so close to when the problem started. Reboot and see if System Restore will turn ON.

    At that point, if still unsuccessful, this would be our last chance to try the VSSTrace software, or go straight to the Repair Install.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    Chuckle: Having written the previous sentence, I recalled that you said this would likely take two hours. Not doubting your wisdom on the subject, I wondered why; I now know!
    It will take approximately 2 hours for the repair install, when all is said and done. The steps from topguncp were not included in my time estimate. If time is a problem for you today, just say so. We can continue tomorrow if that works better for you.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    [A while ago, it occurred to me that, in my little aside about punctuation, I failed to add anything about one of the strangest developments I have seen, the adding of an apostrophe to make something plural; of course, this does not have that effect. What it does do is make the word absurd. Example: Changing "computer" to "computer's". What does the computer possess?]
    Yes, we even have a thread on the forum about spelling and grammar.....
    Grammar and Spelling Help - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    02 Sep 2016 #184

    simrick said: View Post
    Please try one reboot and see if System Restore will turn on.



    Hmmm....Kyhi has his files hosted here:
    ToolsLib - Downloads - Win10586PESE-x64
    (This one would work for your 64-bit system.)
    If the reboot doesn't get System Restore working, then the next step in topguncp's post was to boot to (a Linux or other system, of which Kyhi's should work), and navigate to the C partition, and delete the folder C:\System Volume Information.



    In order to create the bootable USB stick, you can use RUFUS on Kyhi's ISO file.



    Please try the steps above. If we are still unsuccessful, let's try uninstalling the Escort Software, only because of the date being so close to when the problem started. Reboot and see if System Restore will turn ON.

    At that point, if still unsuccessful, this would be our last chance to try the VSSTrace software, or go straight to the Repair Install.



    It will take approximately 2 hours for the repair install, when all is said and done. The steps from topguncp were not included in my time estimate. If time is a problem for you today, just say so. We can continue tomorrow if that works better for you.



    Yes, we even have a thread on the forum about spelling and grammar.....
    Grammar and Spelling Help - Windows 10 Forums

    1. Rebooted, no improvement.

    2. That is the same server as my first try; I am trying again, download is very slow. I assume that, as the file--if I get it--is an ISO, I can use Burn Aware to create a bootable CD; Although I have not done that for many months, I opened Burn Aware, where I found a specific icon for that purpose, and I have lots of blank CDs (or ought that to be "CD's"?)

    I got the file this time, so I will be away for a while.

    3. If no gain, I'll delete Escort software, try again.

    4. Time is not a problem, which is why I suggested starting at 0800 local my time. I do want to take the two Dell wrong shipment boxes to the small FedEx/UPS/contract USPS station/etc. business a few miles from home today, bult I think that they are open until 1700; too late, and I will miss today's UPS pickup, but Dell can wait, and I can do this tomorrow if need be.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.198
       02 Sep 2016 #185

    I stopped using Macrium-reflect-backup as I found it would not work.
    So now I use the built in one and found it works very well
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       02 Sep 2016 #186

    Not Myself said: View Post
    1. Rebooted, no improvement.
    Okay...I figured, but had to try it.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    2. That is the same server as my first try; I am trying again, download is very slow. I assume that, as the file--if I get it--is an ISO, I can use Burn Aware to create a bootable CD; Although I have not done that for many months, I opened Burn Aware, where I found a specific icon for that purpose, and I have lots of blank CDs (or ought that to be "CD's"?)
    Yes, sure, that will work. And, I think it is CDs.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    I got the file this time, so I will be away for a while.
    Good!
    (I mean, good that you got the file this time - not that you will be away for a while!)

    Not Myself said: View Post
    3. If no gain, I'll delete Escort software, try again.
    Okay.

    Not Myself said: View Post
    4. Time is not a problem, which is why I suggested starting at 0800 local my time. I do want to take the two Dell wrong shipment boxes to the small FedEx/UPS/contract USPS station/etc. business a few miles from home today, bult I think that they are open until 1700; too late, and I will miss today's UPS pickup, but Dell can wait, and I can do this tomorrow if need be.
    No problem. If you want to take a break, we can do that any time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    02 Sep 2016 #187

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    I stopped using Macrium-reflect-backup as I found it would not work.
    So now I use the built in one and found it works very well
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dog%20Hmm.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	99408
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    02 Sep 2016 #188

    Megasigh:

    1. I have down loaded the winp* .iso file, which I cannot move out of my downloader (Free Download Manager.) The usual thing is for files downloaded by FDM to automatically be moved into my C:\Downloads folder. As the file in question did not do that, I used the Move command in FDM twice to try to move the file; nothing happened. Now FDM says that the file is missing. I have never had any problem even resembling this one with FDM over at least a few years of use. I even used the Task Manager to stop FDM, so that I might download it elsewhere, whereupon FDN restarted.

    As of this moment, I have opened EDGE and told it to save the file; where it will be saved, I have no idea.

    2. I have downloaded and run RUFUS, and cannot figure out how to tell it to use the .iso; all I have been able to do is to run Rufus to format a new USB key.

    I have now wasted time, rather than proceeding to, one way or another, restore Windows 10. which is something I would like to accomplish today, to add to my list, which so far consists of running and emptying the dishwasher; as I use air dry, I have to wait for the items in the sink drainer to wash those things done by hand and dry them, to add to my list..

    Would someone kindly rescue me?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       02 Sep 2016 #189

    Not Myself said: View Post
    Megasigh:

    1. I have down loaded the winp* .iso file, which I cannot move out of my downloader (Free Download Manager.) The usual thing is for files downloaded by FDM to automatically be moved into my C:\Downloads folder. As the file in question did not do that, I used the Move command in FDM twice to try to move the file; nothing happened. Now FDM says that the file is missing. I have never had any problem even resembling this one with FDM over at least a few years of use. I even used the Task Manager to stop FDM, so that I might download it elsewhere, whereupon FDN restarted.

    As of this moment, I have opened EDGE and told it to save the file; where it will be saved, I have no idea.

    2. I have downloaded and run RUFUS, and cannot figure out how to tell it to use the .iso; all I have been able to do is to run Rufus to format a new USB key.

    Ctrl+J will open the downloads box in Edge.

    This is the button you press to tell RUFUS what ISO to use (sorry it can be a little UN-obvious...)


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rufus.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	99424

    Not Myself said: View Post
    I have now wasted time, rather than proceeding to, one way or another, restore Windows 10. which is something I would like to accomplish today, to add to my list, which so far consists of running and emptying the dishwasher; as I use air dry, I have to wait for the items in the sink drainer to wash those things done by hand and dry them, to add to my list..

    Would someone kindly rescue me?
    Sorry.

    EDIT: But, I thought you had an image burning software you were going to use? BurnAware? Put it on a CD instead of a flash drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 2,034
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64
       02 Sep 2016 #190

    @simrick
    As said above, KYHI's recovery will not work to delete "System Volume Information" due to permission problem even if you take ownership on the folder. Must use Linux.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Related Threads
Backup & Restore Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect in Tutorials
How to Create and Restore a System Image Backup with Macrium Reflect To begin I quote myself from the Macrium viBoot tutorial: This tutorial will show you the basics of Macrium Reflect, how to create backup images and restore them. We will...
I thought I'd share something which just caught me out with Macrium Reflect Free. The Win10 upgrade seemed to cause Macrium to change the scope of what it backed up, and effectively exclude a partition form being backed up. My old laptop which I...
I run Macrium reflect free & create an image every week but have always assumed it created a new image (due to my choosing full backup every time) but had used a small 1TB HD for backup so didn't notice anything amiss. Recently I began using a 4TB...
I'm using macrium reflect free V6 6.1.1225 and there is a new version 6.1.1311 will my old backups work if I update it ? also which is better uninstall macrium and download the new version or just update ?
I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:37.
Find Us