Macrium Reflect Backup Failures

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
  1. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,108
    W10Prox64
       #121

    OldMike65 said:
    Yup, simrick takes care of All the bills.... Attachment 99173
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #122

    simrick said:
    Okay, I was waiting for it.



    Thanks - that is the most current, I believe.



    I had a look at what those two updates covered, and they were mostly fixes for things; I didn't really see anything that directly related to what we're dealing with, but was hoping David's keen eye might spot something. I thought we had looked at uninstalling them a while back, but can't remember if we did it or not. At this point, since I am not aware of "Macrium/backup problems" relating to these two updates, I would venture to guess that leaving them installed for the exercise I posted above should be fine. :)
    Thanks; please see my addition to my message about those updates, as they were installed after the Macrium and/or Restore Point problem(s) started.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #123

    simrick said:
    Hi Odos270.
    I don't think it's a case of a corrupt image, as we have done new test instructions/new image and the failure persists. The failure we're seeing here is a Windows VSS error. The fact that Macrium will successfully image the WINRETOOLS partition tells me that this is something specific to the existing OS setup the way it is now. It also successfully images the drive while in the Recovery Environment.
    If I remember correctly, Ccleaner did not show any restore points at all for the OP.
    That is correct, CCleaner shows a blank page, almost as if it cannot even find the location.
      My Computer

  4. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,108
    W10Prox64
       #124

    Not Myself said:
    Thanks; please see my addition to my message about those updates, as they were installed after the Macrium and/or Restore Point problem(s) started.
    So they didn't "fix" anything.
    Not Myself said:
    That is correct, CCleaner shows a blank page, almost as if it cannot even find the location.
    Yes, okay, I thought so.

    I will make one more edit to my list of things do to.....give me just a moment....
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #125

    This is not at all good: Dell Solutions Center looked up on the Microsoft database the only error code that I get when I try to access Restore Points. According to what he found, I can not even use the built-in Windows Restore Software system, as the OS has become corrupt..

    I was told that my Dell warranty covers software, but the DSC agent looked it up, and said that was not correct, and that it would cost over $200.00 dollars for the first year's coverage.

    If, and only if, I understood correctly what the DSC agent was telling that he found at MS, it appears to me that the only way I can fix this is to somehow do one of the OS re-installs that does not delete any of my data files. I would obviously like to retain my programs, but I don't know if this would be possible.

    I am not at all sure why, when I asked if I could use an ISO, he said that that would not work.

    Given that disappointing information, what is my next step?

    ==

    Later, a MS Support Chat.

    I was asked if I have any tune-up utilities. Any worth trying.

    It was suggested that I do an in-place update, by downloading the Download Tool from Windows 10 . Is this the correct method, or do you prefer another?
    Last edited by Not Myself; 31 Aug 2016 at 15:37.
      My Computer

  6. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,275
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.870
       #126

    @Not Myself
    Please wait for simrick, because I believe she wants you to remove some of your installed apps BEFORE you do your repair install.
    You CAN use an ISO or use the Windows Tool method. Both work. I prefer the ISO method, but please wait for simrick before doing your Repair Install. Some of these Techs on places like Dell, HP, even MS support are not very good. simrick will be back.

    One more note: Stay FAR AWAY From ANY TUNEUP Utilities!!!! They do much more harm than good!!! Never install them.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 620
    Windows 10 Pro (20H2)
    Thread Starter
       #127

    OldMike65 said:
    @Not Myself
    Please wait for simrick, because I believe she wants you to remove some of your installed apps BEFORE you do your repair install.
    You CAN use an ISO or use the Windows Tool method. Both work. I prefer the ISO method, but please wait for simrick before doing your Repair Install. Some of these Techs on places like Dell, HP, even MS support are not very good. simrick will be back.

    One more note: Stay FAR AWAY From ANY TUNEUP Utilities!!!! They do much more harm than good!!! Never install them.
    In that case, which tuneup utilities, other than all of them, should I not use? I expected a reply such as yours: While I have paid little attention to these programs, a brief look at some reviews from time to time seemed less than positive.

    (You might want to check the bang key on your computer, which appears to be stuck.)

    simrick I shall wait for. I thought that the ISO method was what was being suggested here. I had never heard of the Download Tool, much less using it for what i need to do. I shall, right here, ask again for step by step instructions: I have been through enough (NOT blaming anyone here, far from it, just a personal comment) that I just want to get matters back to the status quo ante.
      My Computer

  8. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 106,275
    Windows10 Pro (x64) 20H2 19042.870
       #128

    While you are waiting for simrick, @Not Myself
    You could check and make sure you have Fast Startup Turned Off. Read the link below.
    Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    This is one of the things she wanted you to do.

    My "bang key" is working just fine. :)

    Reason why she wants some of your apps uninstalled is that they could cause problems when you do your repair install. So its best to remove apps that can cause problems, before doing your repair. Any 3rd party firewall and antivirus programs are asked to be removed 1st, just to make sure your repair goes smoothly .

    She also asked you to run check disk, here is a link to read for that.
    Drive Error Checking in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers

  9. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,108
    W10Prox64
       #129

    Hi.
    I don't understand why you're contacting Dell and MS?
    I thought we were going to try my instructions in post #115?
    Those steps need to be performed, in that order.
    A repair install should not be done until post #115 is completed and results known for each step, where appropriate.
      My Computer

  10. simrick's Avatar
    Posts : 16,108
    W10Prox64
       #130

    Not Myself said:
    This is not at all good: Dell Solutions Center looked up on the Microsoft database the only error code that I get when I try to access Restore Points. According to what he found, I can not even use the built-in Windows Restore Software system, as the OS has become corrupt..
    Really? Then why was your Windows Backup successful?

    Not Myself said:
    I was told that my Dell warranty covers software, but the DSC agent looked it up, and said that was not correct, and that it would cost over $200.00 dollars for the first year's coverage.
    Don't do it. If your Dell-supplied software needed to be fixed, there is a recovery partition on your hard drive that would do it for free (although it would take the system back to factory condition and you would lose everything you've installed, and any personalization you've made to the system).

    Not Myself said:
    If, and only if, I understood correctly what the DSC agent was telling that he found at MS, it appears to me that the only way I can fix this is to somehow do one of the OS re-installs that does not delete any of my data files. I would obviously like to retain my programs, but I don't know if this would be possible.
    And this is what we are trying to accomplish.

    Not Myself said:
    I am not at all sure why, when I asked if I could use an ISO, he said that that would not work.
    Well he is wrong, and he obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

    Not Myself said:
    Given that disappointing information, what is my next step?
    Post #115

    Not Myself said:
    ==

    Later, a MS Support Chat.

    I was asked if I have any tune-up utilities. Any worth trying.
    I do not recommend using any tune-up anything, as it just ends up borking the system in the end.

    Not Myself said:
    It was suggested that I do an in-place update, by downloading the Download Tool from Windows 10 . Is this the correct method, or do you prefer another?
    This would be a next step, after Post #115. If we need to do this, I will provide steps to accomplish. But, we're not there yet.
      My Computer


 
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums