Windows 10: How to remove folders from File History Solved

  1.    07 Aug 2016 #1

    How to remove folders from File History


    Running out of space on my external drive where I keep File History. So I want to delete a very large folder (Pictures) from History since I have it backed up another way. I removed the folder from File History Backup Options (Settings>Update & Security>Backup>More Options>Backup these folders), and then ran File Cleanup (Control Panel>File History>Advanced Settings>Clean up versions).

    As I understand it, that should remove all versions older than the selected time frame AND all folders no longer in the noted in the File History Backup Options (where I removed my Pictures folder). But the Pictures Folder is still in File History.

    What is the best/easiest way to delete it from File History?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 22,859
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       07 Aug 2016 #2

    Hello ALN,

    You could exclude the folder from File History to no longer have it included on the backup.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/55245-file-history-exclude-folders-windows-10-a.html

    That's correct, you can use File History Cleanup to select to "delete all but the latest one".

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    07 Aug 2016 #3

    Brink said: View Post
    Hello ALN,

    You could exclude the folder from File History to no longer have it included on the backup.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/55245-file-history-exclude-folders-windows-10-a.html

    That's correct, you can use File History Cleanup to select to "delete all but the latest one".

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    Thanks Brink for the quick reply! I had no problem removing the folder from the list of items to be backed up in the the Backup Settings. However, the folder was already backed up and now resides in the backup files on my external drive - that is where I am trying to delete them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 22,859
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       07 Aug 2016 #4

    After excluding the folder, you could manually create a new File History backup, then use File History Cleanup to select to "delete all but the latest one" to no longer have the folder in a backup.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    07 Aug 2016 #5

    Brink said: View Post
    After excluding the folder, you could manually create a new File History backup, then use File History Cleanup to select to "delete all but the latest one" to no longer have the folder in a backup.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    OK, I did that, but the Pictures folder is still in the backup on the external drive. First, I deleted the Pictures folder from the list of folders to be backed up, and then did a manual backup, and then did the File History Cleanup and selected "delete all but the latest one." Pictures folder was still there in the back up. I then checked the list of folders to be backed up, and noticed that the Pictures folder was included again - even thought I deleted it prior to the manual backup. I then deleted it again, closed Settings and re-opened Settings and, sure enough, the Pictures folder re-appeared in the list of folders to be backed up. Seems like Windows will not let me delete it from the list, even though it appears to do so. So next, I added the Pictures folder to the Exclude list and did the manual backup/History Clean up routine - same results: still have the folder in my back up. Any other ideas?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 22,859
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16257
       07 Aug 2016 #6

    Under "Back up these folders" in Settings, you should be able to click on the Pictures folder, and click on Remove like below to prevent it from being included in future backups.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option2

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folders.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	94838
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    08 Aug 2016 #7

    Remove folders from File History


    • I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Aug 2016 #8

    Brink said: View Post
    Under "Back up these folders" in Settings, you should be able to click on the Pictures folder, and click on Remove like below to prevent it from being included in future backups.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...a.html#option2

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folders.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	94838
    That does not work. Even though I do the delete from the "Back up these folders" from the list, it still backs it up - and when I close out of Settings and then go back in, the folder re-appears in the list.

    However, Mila's suggestion worked. Is it possible that folders in my Library cannot be removed from the "Back up these folders" list?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    08 Aug 2016 #9

    mila parker said: View Post
    • I had the same problem, and I solved in this way:
      Control Panel -> System and Security-> File History -> Turn off
      Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options -> Stop using this drive
      Delete the File History folder in your external drive.
      Start using File History again.
      After performing these steps, I can easily add folders to "Excluded Folders" and they remain excluded. I checked in the actual files and folders saved on the external disk, and it works.
      I did not modify the default settings about how often and how long backup is saved, File History is working ok now. So I guess it is important to click "Stop using this drive" in order to reset File History.
      Hope this will be helpful
    That did it - Thank you Mila!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How to Add or Remove Folders to be Backed Up by File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a...
How to Manually Create a File History Backup in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a...
How to Restore Files or Folders from File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History (if turned on) to automatically back up versions of your files on a...
How to Exclude Folders from File History in Windows 10 File History was first introduced in Windows 8, and has been improved in Windows 10. You can use File History to automatically back up versions of your files on a schedule to a location...
File history skipping files / folders in Performance & Maintenance
I have custom libraries set up to back up my X:\Pictures directory and it's been backing up just fine. I dumped a large amount of pictures to a sub folder and didn't get around to deleting the bad ones before file history threw them on my history...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:10.
Find Us