Macrium bootable USB


  1. Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       #1

    Macrium bootable USB


    Hi guys, as a rough guide how large does a USB flash drive need to be when creating a bootable/recovery USB? I've got a few USB sticks of varying sizes, I wouldn't want to waste a larger one if it only needs to be say 512 mb or 1 Gb.

    i presume once a USB has been turned into a bootable one for macrium recovery then you can't put any other data on it?

    thanks,
    Wayne.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,092
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #2

    You could probably get away with a 512MB, these are mine for two different computers, both 1GB,

    Macrium bootable USB-2016-08-06_00h13_59.png

    Both use less than 300MB.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Perfect, thank you
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,092
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #4

    You're welcome.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 11,170
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #5

    Scottyboy99 said:
    Hi guys, as a rough guide how large does a USB flash drive need to be when creating a bootable/recovery USB? I've got a few USB sticks of varying sizes, I wouldn't want to waste a larger one if it only needs to be say 512 mb or 1 Gb.

    i presume once a USB has been turned into a bootable one for macrium recovery then you can't put any other data on it?

    thanks,
    Wayne.
    Hi there

    You can always partition a larger USB drive -- This could be useful for example to have the Macrium reflect program on one partition and your recovery image / backup image on the other. You can easily partition a 64 GB (or larger one) USB drive - and with USB 3 performance a restore image from the USB stick would still be reasonably OK.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,119
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    You can always partition a larger USB drive -

    Cheers
    jimbo
    How?
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 11,170
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #7

    x509 said:
    How?
    Hi there

    use something like GPARTED or Partition Magic / Partition manager.

    You can even do it with CMD line interface if you want to --

    Simply create partition size you want, then create another one.

    on 64GB or larger USB sticks create NTFS / FAT32 - but there's normally no prob in creating several partitions on a USB stick.

    In the case of some Linux Live distros bootable from a USB stick for example often GRUB (the bootloader) is in its own separate partition so there's no magic to doing this,

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 13,548
    Windows10
       #8

    One neat feature of latest version of Macrium is that you can install it as a dual boot option from Other Tasks. You still need the usb stick in case drive fails or the c drive gets badly corrupted.

    This is handy as well when you get those stubborn files that you cannot delete without messing with permissions. Just boot to Macrium, and use its file explorer - job done.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,290
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Still waiting on Amazon to deliver my 1 Gb USB stick. Just curious , if I create a bootable USB and then later want to update it - do I need to manually delete the existing macrium files on it? Or does it just overwrite:go over the top when I choose to create from macrium?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,092
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #10

    Scottyboy99 said:
    Just curious , if I create a bootable USB and then later want to update it - do I need to manually delete the existing macrium files on it? Or does it just overwrite:go over the top when I choose to create from macrium?
    I just let it create the updated one over the old one, test it to see if it boots and it hasn't failed me so far.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums