Windows 10: Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup? Solved


  1. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
       30 Jul 2016 #1

    Windows.old - how to prevent the upgrade backup?


    Hello people,

    I was wondering if there's any way to prevent Windows 10 from saving the old build in Windows.old when upgrading to a new one. I know about backup being a safety measure if something goes wrong, but I have more faith in Microsoft doing it right than in my SSD surviving the extra write load on it compared to Win 7 for very long. For backup purposes I have a regularly updated system image that I store on a normal HDD that's gonna last way longer with the same write operations count than any SSD, so I technically don't need the build backup and I'd like to get rid of it, tell Windows not to do it.

    Any thoughts?
    Thanks

    Dex
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 20,708
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       30 Jul 2016 #2

    Hello Dex,

    There's nothing you can do to prevent the Windows.old folder from being created when you upgrade Windows. However, you can easily delete it using an option in the tutorial below afterwards.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,999
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       30 Jul 2016 #3

    I don't think you need to be concerned about wearing out your SSD. What make and model number do you have. Unless it's really old it will last a looonnngggg time

    My SSD is maybe 5 years old now (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) and has written 6.79TB of data to date according to Samsung Magician.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  4.    30 Jul 2016 #4

    dexsk said: View Post
    I was wondering if there's any way to prevent Windows 10 from saving the old build in Windows.old when upgrading to a new one. I know about backup being a safety measure if something goes wrong, but I have more faith in Microsoft doing it right than in my SSD surviving the extra write load on it compared to Win 7 for very long.
    You cannot stop it, because the backup is a vital part of the upgrade process. By that, I mean that Windows does not make a copy of Windows , then upgrade over your original files. Instead, it renames the folders (this is a simple operation that does not involve copying the files) and then installs the new OS clean. After the OS is installed, it migrates files from your Windows.old (including registry entries) to the new OS folder.

    So, without Windows.old it's not possible to perform an upgrade.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,999
    Windows 10 Pro X64 15063.138
       31 Jul 2016 #5

    There has to be some copying of files going on since the \Users directory tree is also contained under Windows.old.

    I don't have one I can look at any more, but what about the Program Files, Program Files (X86) and ProgramData directories. Aren't they also copied under Windows.old?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 5
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       31 Jul 2016 #6

    Ztruker said: View Post
    I don't think you need to be concerned about wearing out your SSD. What make and model number do you have. Unless it's really old it will last a looonnngggg time

    My SSD is maybe 5 years old now (Samsung 840 EVO 250GB) and has written 6.79TB of data to date according to Samsung Magician.
    Mystere said: View Post
    You cannot stop it, because the backup is a vital part of the upgrade process. By that, I mean that Windows does not make a copy of Windows , then upgrade over your original files. Instead, it renames the folders (this is a simple operation that does not involve copying the files) and then installs the new OS clean. After the OS is installed, it migrates files from your Windows.old (including registry entries) to the new OS folder.

    So, without Windows.old it's not possible to perform an upgrade.
    Samsung 840 120GB here, looks like it's gonna hold a good long time then and Mystere, thanks for the explanation, that summed it up nicely
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 Jul 2016 #7

    Ztruker said: View Post
    There has to be some copying of files going on since the \Users directory tree is also contained under Windows.old.

    I don't have one I can look at any more, but what about the Program Files, Program Files (X86) and ProgramData directories. Aren't they also copied under Windows.old?
    Yes, that's what I meant by "migrate". It copies files, as well as registry entries from the Windows.old users folder to the new one. The point being that the copy can't be stopped if you are doing an upgrade, because the copy is used as part of the upgrade process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
How do I prevent the Win 10 upgrade? in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi all, I want to absolutely, positively prevent the Win 10 upgrade on my Win 7 machine. I have removed the KB3035583 update. And in doing so, I'd guess it removed the /Windows/System32 folder containing GWX.exe, since neither the file nor...
How to backup Windows 10 upgrade in Installation and Upgrade
I purchased windows 8.1 and got free upgrade to Windows 10. Now my question is if I want to reinstall my OS then I only have Win 8.1 disk with me, what should I do ?. Is there any way to backup the Windows 10 upgrade or else I will have to spend...
Prevent Automatic Upgrade to Windows 10 in Windows Updates and Activation
I support a large community of seniors. Typically I have them running Automatic Updates, because they don't want to do their own maintenance. The most common complaint they come in with is there computers are really slow. It usually turns out...
Aloha, I've got a couple of Win 8.1 machines where I discovered that the upgrade to Win 10 was attempted (and I did not ask for this) and failed. At this point I really don't want to install Win 10, I just want to prevent my machines from trying...
How prevent the upgrade? in Installation and Upgrade
Hi guys, I reserved the upgrade from win 7 to win 10 now I don't want to download it anymore (I keep on having the boot.wim issue) is there a way to prevent the upgrade? thanks in advance
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07.
Find Us