Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1.    29 Jul 2016 #41
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 645

    Revo Uninstaller Pro costs a little bit, not much, considering the benefits one receives for removing 32 and 64 bit programs.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Jul 2016 #42
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    UK
    Posts : 1,885
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)

    Quote Originally Posted by OldMike65 View Post
    Well I agree with you, in my case I used my Revo Pro to uninstall Acronis , and it did the job very well. I would recommend anyone to give it a try. I bought mine 2 years ago.

    I DID tell the OP to READ Your post on page #24 too. Is good info for him.
    Do you think Revo Pro would have solved the problem instead of needing to use the manual removal referenced in my post? At least removing c**p Acronis software manually was a valuable learning experience.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Jul 2016 #43
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,191
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Do you think Revo Pro would have solved the problem instead of needing to use the manual removal referenced in my post? At least removing c**p Acronis software manually was a valuable learning experience.
    YES Steve as I had been running Acronis since like version 7 .....bought every NEW license to 2016. But like we have been discussing in here, Acronis has kept getting worse and worse with every new update. Heck it even slows down your boot up!!!
    I used my Revo Pro and let it remove everything, including the registry entires. (Always do a complete image backup 1st) Then rebooted, had no problems booting back .....then used my other program called "Everything" to look for any trace of Acronis, there was 1 folder left in my programs, which I deleted. That was about a year ago now....maybe longer.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    29 Jul 2016 #44
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,052
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
    Do you think Revo Pro would have solved the problem instead of needing to use the manual removal referenced in my post? At least removing c**p Acronis software manually was a valuable learning experience.
    You are absolutely correct on this. Lots of people don't realize that Acronis modified the Master Boot Record and no software will be able to uninstall it unless going thru the manual procedure like you did. The 2 drivers (forgot the names) are loaded after POST and prior to Windows startup so if you delete the 2's .sys drivers in C:\windows\system32, Windows will crash. Software such as Revo Uninstaller removed everything related to Acronis but still could not remove the drivers.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Jul 2016 #45
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    FOLLOWUP:
    Thank you all for the excellent advice and help. And especially thanks for continuing to help.

    I took the easy way out. I had a computer chat with Acronis support and explained the situation. I usually have poor luck with tech support who often know less than I do. But this time, the tech (in India based on his name and accent), was a wiz! Surprise!

    He connected via TeamViewer (which I already had installed because I use it to support some of my friends) and went through
    - standard uninstall
    - Acronis cleaner tool, which took out a bunch of registry entries.
    - then opened regedit and deleted several more.
    - did a few more checks
    - rebooted the laptop, which rebooted normally! Yeah!
    - and then made a few more checks and declared me free of Acronis.

    It is unconscionable that a purchased program would take all this to uninstall - leave alone modify the customer's mbr! I too have purchased many succesive versions of ATI in the past but no more. Why they decided to destroy their reputation this way is unfathomable.

    Anyway, I'm finally rid of them. I may purchase Reflect just to support the good guys.

    I hope this helps someone else, and thank you all again

    Funny thing, I have Revo on this laptop and just didn't think to use it. Dummy me!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Jul 2016 #46
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,191
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    FOLLOWUP:
    Thank you all for the excellent advice and help. And especially thanks for continuing to help.

    I took the easy way out. I had a computer chat with Acronis support and explained the situation. I usually have poor luck with tech support who often know less than I do. But this time, the tech (in India based on his name and accent), was a wiz! Surprise!

    He connected via TeamViewer (which I already had installed because I use it to support some of my friends) and went through
    - standard uninstall
    - Acronis cleaner tool, which took out a bunch of registry entries.
    - then opened regedit and deleted several more.
    - did a few more checks
    - rebooted the laptop, which rebooted normally! Yeah!
    - and then made a few more checks and declared me free of Acronis.

    It is unconscionable that a purchased program would take all this to uninstall - leave alone modify the customer's mbr! I too have purchased many succesive versions of ATI in the past but no more. Why they decided to destroy their reputation this way is unfathomable.

    Anyway, I'm finally rid of them. I may purchase Reflect just to support the good guys.

    I hope this helps someone else, and thank you all again

    Funny thing, I have Revo on this laptop and just didn't think to use it. Dummy me!
    Don't matter now about Revo, Very glad that Acronis Support helped you solve your issue!!! Great Job Curious
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    29 Jul 2016 #47
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    No, thank you!
    (This phone browser does not give me the option to click on a thank icon so I used up some bandwidth to do it).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Jul 2016 #48
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 81
    Windows 10 Pro x64 V1607 b14393

    Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    I may purchase Reflect just to support the good guys.
    @Curious, I'd suggest you try the free version and check how it works for you before paying for a license.

    Macrium Reflect Free

    Backup software is coupled tightly with the OS and there can be incompatibilities with some installed applications. Just make sure you do not have any continuous backup or imaging software installed. They use VSS. If you do, temporarily disable any currently running or scheduled backup tasks before taking MR for a test drive.

    Good luck!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    30 Jul 2016 #49
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 79
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaupeep View Post
    @Curious, I'd suggest you try the free version and check how it works for you before paying for a license.

    Macrium Reflect Free

    Backup software is coupled tightly with the OS and there can be incompatibilities with some installed applications. Just make sure you do not have any continuous backup or imaging software installed. They use VSS. If you do, temporarily disable any currently running or scheduled backup tasks before taking MR for a test drive.

    Good luck!
    You are right Beaupeep. I downloaded and installed the latest free version of Macrium Reflect (v6) and made a "system backup" to an external drive. It seemed to work correctly and I can see the backed up files on the ext drive, but at the end Reflect free froze and I was forced to close it manually. So, I restarted Reflect and the log was empty for this backup. I decided to try another system backup which is running right now and this is the error it put up at the start (see attached).
    I frankly don't know what the error about VSS is because I am not sure how to turn VSS off or on. Could you help?

    I also would like to contact Macrium to ask about why the program froze but I cannot access their support or register on their forum till I provide an order number (that is after purchase) since they apparently don't provide support for the free version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Retrying without VSS writers.GIF  
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    30 Jul 2016 #50
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,966
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Macrium Reflect has a menu in the top taskbar just to the left of the Help menu that lets you view the VSS events and also, just underneath, Fix VSS problems.

    This is why I wanted you to check with Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any related errors there such CAPI2 warnings etc.
    Further to that please also check if Volume Shadow Copy service is running : Run : services.msc > Volume Shadow Copy when Macrium is launched. Per default it is set to manual. Try to start it.

    Also from an elevated command prompt run the following command : VSSADMIN LIST WRITERS

    For every output you should see : NO ERROR.



    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Starting new program opens program window in background
Hello, I have this problem - when I start any program its window appears in background - behind others. Even it is the first program I start its windows is not active and I need to click it to make active. That issue appeared when I was with...
General Support
Solved Windows 7's "Backup and Restore" program crashes on startup
Hi, I ran into a weird problem with my Windows 10 Pro installation. Earlier this week, I used the Windows 7 Backup and Restore program to do some backups (including a system image) in preparation for a new desktop I'll be bringing home tomorrow....
Backup and Restore
Backup/Recovery Program?
I am in of a "Free Back/Recovery Program" that is so EASY as pie to understand. I want to backup my pc and also be able to restore and all of this has to be easy for me to run it. I will be backing up onto my external harddrive. I have tried...
Backup and Restore
Microsoft announces Backup of Windows 10 machines using Azure Backup
Windows 10 client machines can now be backed up seamlessly to cloud by Azure Backup service. Customers with machines running Windows 10 (64-bit) operating systems can protect their important file-folder data to Azure in a secure manner and restore...
Backup and Restore
Backup - removed folders to backup keep coming back
I'm setting up a file backup on Win 10 Pro. Under the backup settings there is the "Back up these folders" section. I have a total of five folders I want to backup so I keep removing all the folders that Windows adds by default and leave the five...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums