Windows 10: Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

  1. Posts : 1,411
    Windows 10 Home x64 (Laptop), Windows 10 Pro x64 (Desktop)
       3 Weeks Ago #31

    fireberd said: View Post
    When I moved from Acronis to Macrium, I first tried the Macrium free version. It does the backups, but I bought the package anyway. My way of supporting the company. If we all just used the free version eventually it would go away.

    A comment on removing Acronis. The last version I had was the 2013 version (with Win 7). I removed Acronis and ran their clean up tool. I still had a lot of registry entries that I had to remove manually to fully get rid of Acronis. There were so many that I had considered doing a "clean" install of Win 7 but I manually edited the registry and got rid of them.
    That's the same problem I had - see post 23 above.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    3 Weeks Ago #32

    Steve C said: View Post
    That's the same problem I had - see post 23 above.
    Hi there

    That's not true generally -- usually a PAID for version is aimed at serious I.T users / Enterprises etc.

    A Free version might bring notice to some of the buyers in these large corporations about the software which they might never have heard of. Word of mouth is often the best and most effective way of advertising (and the cheapest).

    In general if you look at typical software bought by large I.T shops for office computers you have to say on the whole UGH !!!! I have much better at home.

    There's NO POINT (unless you are a multi-lottery winner) in simply spending money buying features you don't need just because you feel duty bound to the company -- It's like donating a few more cents to say SHELL every time you fill up with Gas.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
       4 Days Ago #33

    Macrium Easily Won Me Over


    I am another customer who used Acronis for many years. It certainly was great at the beginning, as anything that could restore one of my computers to a state that was usable without making a service call to a computer tech was amazing. It would work most of the time, but really, back in those days I really was grateful to have a chance at reviving an imaged version of my OS... it was like freakin' magic. As time went on though, as many of you Acronis users of many years such as myself would probably agree - features were added, but strangely, many great features were being removed. Every release I would notice something I had used was missing. Add those factors to the fact that it truly was performing worse (at least in my situations) than it had in the past. Sure it was marginally faster, but it was ridiculous how frequently my images would get corrupted (on different computers, using different software configurations). I just couldn't rely on it anymore.

    It was actually over on Windows 8 Forums where I was constantly reading about the wonderful things users were saying about Macrium. It was a no-brainer. They had a free version that is VERY full-featured imho. I tried it for maybe a week or two, and it was an absolute delight to use. It was fast, consistent, and their community and company seemed on another level from Acronis. I bought it after a couple of weeks, and that was probably a year and a half ago. I wanted to not be limited to using only the full backup scheme, which is the way it works with the free version - but should be quite adequate for many people. I haven't looked back. It was slightly more expensive than Acronis (although now Acronis is aggressively cutting prices, it is quite inexpensive)... but if you're like me, a solid backed up OS and/or data hard to put a price on. I honestly have never had any issue with any single backup/restore this entire time with Macrium. It is so fast and absolutely reliable.

    I've read recently in some reviews that NovaBackup seems to be the up-and-comer, and that Macrium's compression rate is only average. I wouldn't know how it compares, as I haven't used anything else in ages but my backups are certainly not nearly the gargantuan sizes Acronis used to create for me. In fact my incremental and differential backups complete so quickly and are a so tiny at times it amazes me.

    So thanks for everyone on these forums for pointing me in the right direction... to Macrium Reflect.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. OldMike65's Avatar
    Posts : 22,148
    Windows10Pro 64Bit on 2 DeskTop Computers
       4 Days Ago #34

    menace97 said: View Post
    I am another customer who used Acronis for many years. It certainly was great at the beginning, as anything that could restore one of my computers to a state that was usable without making a service call to a computer tech was amazing. It would work most of the time, but really, back in those days I really was grateful to have a chance at reviving an imaged version of my OS... it was like freakin' magic. As time went on though, as many of you Acronis users of many years such as myself would probably agree - features were added, but strangely, many great features were being removed. Every release I would notice something I had used was missing. Add those factors to the fact that it truly was performing worse (at least in my situations) than it had in the past. Sure it was marginally faster, but it was ridiculous how frequently my images would get corrupted (on different computers, using different software configurations). I just couldn't rely on it anymore.

    It was actually over on Windows 8 Forums where I was constantly reading about the wonderful things users were saying about Macrium. It was a no-brainer. They had a free version that is VERY full-featured imho. I tried it for maybe a week or two, and it was an absolute delight to use. It was fast, consistent, and their community and company seemed on another level from Acronis. I bought it after a couple of weeks, and that was probably a year and a half ago. I wanted to not be limited to using only the full backup scheme, which is the way it works with the free version - but should be quite adequate for many people. I haven't looked back. It was slightly more expensive than Acronis (although now Acronis is aggressively cutting prices, it is quite inexpensive)... but if you're like me, a solid backed up OS and/or data hard to put a price on. I honestly have never had any issue with any single backup/restore this entire time with Macrium. It is so fast and absolutely reliable.

    I've read recently in some reviews that NovaBackup seems to be the up-and-comer, and that Macrium's compression rate is only average. I wouldn't know how it compares, as I haven't used anything else in ages but my backups are certainly not nearly the gargantuan sizes Acronis used to create for me. In fact my incremental and differential backups complete so quickly and are a so tiny at times it amazes me.

    So thanks for everyone on these forums for pointing me in the right direction... to Macrium Reflect.
    Very well written post, I actually did the same as you, went from the bloat ridden Acronis to Macrium, also bought it. Never looked back. Very good post sir!!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    4 Days Ago #35

    menace97 said: View Post
    I bought it after a couple of weeks, and that was probably a year and a half ago. I wanted to not be limited to using only the full backup scheme, which is the way it works with the free version - but should be quite adequate for many people.
    The free version of V6 supports differential backups since day it was released (end 2015). They are not quite as space efficient as incremental backups but still way smaller than full backups.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    1 Day Ago #36

    Hi there

    These days when you can get several TB of HDD for not much money - I don't think saving even a GB or so on a backup is significant any more --what IS important that the backup works reliably and runs reasonably quickly. In that aspect Macrium performs MORE than adequately.

    However if companies want to add more features - I'd love something that replicates the Linux GUI version of rsync -- GRSYNC
    which apart from all sorts of choices allows me to copy files from Directory / HDD to another one which don't exist on the target / are older etc etc. Should be easy to replicate from the backup image but I don't see any function like that though - unless I've missed something.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    1 Day Ago #37

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    These days when you can get several TB of HDD for not much money - I don't think saving even a GB or so on a backup is significant any more --what IS important that the backup works reliably and runs reasonably quickly. In that aspect Macrium performs MORE than adequately.

    However if companies want to add more features - I'd love something that replicates the Linux GUI version of rsync -- GRSYNC
    which apart from all sorts of choices allows me to copy files from Directory / HDD to another one which don't exist on the target / are older etc etc. Should be easy to replicate from the backup image but I don't see any function like that though - unless I've missed something.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Not sure exactly what you are saying about copying files but it is easy enough to use xcopy or robocopy commands that will copy files from one directory to another only if files are newer or do not exist on target directory i.e.files the same are not updated.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    11 Hours Ago #38

    cereberus said: View Post
    Not sure exactly what you are saying about copying files but it is easy enough to use xcopy or robocopy commands that will copy files from one directory to another only if files are newer or do not exist on target directory i.e.files the same are not updated.

    Hi there

    yes there's plenty of software - but I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if one could use 1 piece of software -- after all these companies add more and more "features" often non of which I want or need !!!! - and the restore part of Macrium would seem an obvious place to have this feature !!

    Typical example of over bloat and "feature-itus" was NERO - so much bloat after a very good initial product -- now it's almost an OS in its own right !!!!!!.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Related Threads
Acronis True Image Alternatives in Backup and Restore
I'm looking for any alternatives to Acronis True Image, specifically the boot disk option. Is there anything else better that you can recommend that gives me bootable media (USB preferred) and will allow me to make an image of the computer and send...
Had some issues with my PC with user profile, so restored a 3 day old acronis true image backup. now none of my external HDDs are recognised, by Windows or Aome hdd manager either. USB pens are ok. hope there is a simple solution,...
Hi, I just updated to Windows 10 and I am loving it! I want to create a system image using a Acronis True Image 2014 bootable CD. I created a backup using the CD just fine and it includes the MBR the C: drive. When i try to restore the image,...
I installed the Preview on a couple machines with 10" screens and while I liked the overall look and feel, I didn't care for it on those smaller screens. So I took them back to originals which was a totally no fun process. Probably because I did...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums