Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    30 May 2016 #1

    Macrium Reflect credential problem


    The scheduled, daily image failed the 28 and 29 both with the error couldn't find the *.xml file. The backup had been doing fine for the past 3 or so weeks. Coincidentally, the program didn't recognize the user name or password. The user name was correct and so was the password (reentered several times w/cap locks confirmed off).

    Then I realized that the definition was no longer present.

    I deleted the associated schedule, closed, reopened and created a new backup definition.

    I got the same credential dialogue error screen as previous. This time, to be certain, I copy/pasted from 'whoami' to the user name--the only difference being case which shouldn't make a difference. I again reentered my Window's password and still I am getting the 'user name/password' incorrect message.

    The only thing I can think of to explain the preceding is that somehow some part of the software is corrupted and requires an uninstall/reinstall. But before I do so I'm checking here for any ideas?

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,982
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
    The scheduled, daily image failed the 28 and 29 both with the error couldn't find the *.xml file. The backup had been doing fine for the past 3 or so weeks. Coincidentally, the program didn't recognize the user name or password. The user name was correct and so was the password (reentered several times w/cap locks confirmed off).

    Then I realized that the definition was no longer present.

    I deleted the associated schedule, closed, reopened and created a new backup definition.

    I got the same credential dialogue error screen as previous. This time, to be certain, I copy/pasted from 'whoami' to the user name--the only difference being case which shouldn't make a difference. I again reentered my Window's password and still I am getting the 'user name/password' incorrect message.

    The only thing I can think of to explain the preceding is that somehow some part of the software is corrupted and requires an uninstall/reinstall. But before I do so I'm checking here for any ideas?

    Mark
    Hi.
    The error "couldn't find the xml file" refers to the schedule file saved by Macrium with the back up instructions. Somehow that was deleted. So, deleting the schedule in Macrium and creating a new one was the correct thing to do. Not sure why the program doesn't recognise your username/password, if nothing has changed. Probably an uninstall/reinstall will fix it. I know they just had an update in the past few days - perhaps that didn't update properly and messed something up? Macrium installs quickly; I would try that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    31 May 2016 #3

    Thanks---to save time, here's another kink I had previously run into and I'll likely have again.

    I have ~12 images in the destination directory and after install when I create the new image profile I will increase that count to 18--all full (the existing images are all full). If I remember correctly, the last time I monkeyed with the destination images (deleted several), Reflect didn't automatically recognize the new image count (I would have thought that as long as you didn't change the destination directory and just deleted images the program would count the images in the directory and match that count against the associated job profile # of images). I ended up having to delete all the images so the Reflect reflected the proper count.

    I hadn't found any way to delete certain saved Reflect images within Reflect vs. doing so manually outside of the program.

    Is the ability to delete there and I'm missing it? Was my prior experience manually deleting some images and Reflect not keeping count a given or a one off irregularity that doesn't normally occur?

    I may as well know ahead of time what I'll deal with in this regard after the uninstall/reinstall.

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    31 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,982
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
    Thanks---to save time, here's another kink I had previously run into and I'll likely have again.

    I have ~12 images in the destination directory and after install when I create the new image profile I will increase that count to 18--all full (the existing images are all full). If I remember correctly, the last time I monkeyed with the destination images (deleted several), Reflect didn't automatically recognize the new image count (I would have thought that as long as you didn't change the destination directory and just deleted images the program would count the images in the directory and match that count against the associated job profile # of images). I ended up having to delete all the images so the Reflect reflected the proper count.

    I hadn't found any way to delete certain saved Reflect images within Reflect vs. doing so manually outside of the program.

    Is the ability to delete there and I'm missing it? Was my prior experience manually deleting some images and Reflect not keeping count a given or a one off irregularity that doesn't normally occur?

    I may as well know ahead of time what I'll deal with in this regard after the uninstall/reinstall.

    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Good question! Have a read here:
    How to delete backup files - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

    Here some more info, but relating to differentials, which you don't do (good!).
    Macrium Support Forum - manually deleting old backup

    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    31 May 2016 #5

    Ah, when in doubt read the instructions ;-)

    I'll be going back to the KB for further reading later since some of the sections looked interesting. And there is an on-board file delete and it doesn't matter if you rename a file...

    I did not find an explicit statement to the effect: "Install Reflect, create a new definition using the same image location as was previously used and Reflect will know to count the images in the directory, match the value to that # of fulls you defined, then proceed onward knowing that the image file count does not start at 0 but at n"

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    31 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,982
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
    Ah, when in doubt read the instructions ;-)

    I'll be going back to the KB for further reading later since some of the sections looked interesting. And there is an on-board file delete and it doesn't matter if you rename a file...

    I did not find an explicit statement to the effect: "Install Reflect, create a new definition using the same image location as was previously used and Reflect will know to count the images in the directory, match the value to that # of fulls you defined, then proceed onward knowing that the image file count does not start at 0 but at n"

    Mark
    No, I didn't see that either. Perhaps a post in their support forum can get an answer on that one from one of their gurus. I just don't know enough about the program to tell you that one, sorry.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    31 May 2016 #7

    The forum I hit requires the paid version for posting privileges.

    I will proceed and just see what happens. I'll let you know.

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    31 May 2016 #8
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,982
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
    The forum I hit requires the paid version for posting privileges.

    I will proceed and just see what happens. I'll let you know.

    Mark
    Oh dangit! Okay, sounds good.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Jun 2016 #9

    Sneaky and inobvious


    Problem resolved in practice not theory.

    History:

    New Win10 machine arrived the beginning of May. Initial Windows setup went smoothly or so I thought. I ignored using my MS password (not being prompted for the local password I had used on the Win7 machine) and used the fingerprint reader.

    After installing my backup software including Reflect it was clear that I needed more than just a fingerprint.

    Searching for the ability to do so and getting more and more annoyed only finding reference to the MS password, out of frustration, I said what the h*ll and tried my MS password. It worked. Even though I had specifically never told Win10, okay use this MS password. Apparently the OS saw the credentials associated with either my Onedrive account or Office 365 already installed.

    I had avoided the MS password since I had a few programs that were using my local password for transmission between my wife's machine and mine +.

    After searching I finally found where I could change MS' sneaky insertion of their password for use and apply my local password.

    All was fine until I posted the current problem.

    After downloading new w/the patch, uninstalling and reinstalling Reflect I received the same password error. I booted and used my local password instead of the fingerprint just to be sure. I got a login error with my local password. I then, again for the h*ll of it, my MS password. Well guess what. The OS somehow within a day or so of my my getting the Reflect error had switched my password from my local password to the MS password.

    I've decided it isn't worth the aggravation of fighting city hall and will leave the password as the MS account. As programs fail I'll change their passwords.

    There are several lessons in all this which I leave to someone with more patience since I can only describe such lessons with unprintable words

    Mark
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    01 Jun 2016 #10
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,982
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by markg2 View Post
    Problem resolved in practice not theory.
    ... tried my MS password. It worked. Even though I had specifically never told Win10, okay use this MS password. Apparently the OS saw the credentials associated with either my Onedrive account or Office 365 already installed.

    ...
    After downloading new w/the patch, uninstalling and reinstalling Reflect I received the same password error. I booted and used my local password instead of the fingerprint just to be sure. I got a login error with my local password. I then, again for the h*ll of it, my MS password. Well guess what. The OS somehow within a day or so of my my getting the Reflect error had switched my password from my local password to the MS password.
    ...
    There are several lessons in all this which I leave to someone with more patience since I can only describe such lessons with unprintable words

    Mark
    Unbelievable! Thanks for summarizing. I'm sure this will help others in the future.
    Please mark the thread as solved. Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved New Macrium Reflect Updates
https://www.macrium.com/files/images/macrium-reflect-seven.png Macrium Reflect v7.1.2768 12 December 2017 Changelog: What's New v7.1.2768 - 12th December 2017
Backup and Restore
New Macrium Reflect Update
New Macrium Reflect Update ready to be downloaded and updated Version 6.1 Build 1225
Backup and Restore
RollBack MX and Macrium Reflect
I understand that the two don't play so well together. If I have both installed, and I restore using MR, I understand that I run a risk of an unbootable system. Question: can I fix that by simply uninstalling RB at its pre-windows screen, where...
Backup and Restore
Macrium Reflect and SSD drive
I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has...
Backup and Restore
Solved Macrium reflect rescue usb problem
Though this belongs to Win 7 32 bit but I think people here may have answer to my problem. I created a Macrium USB pen drive (fat 16 formatted) but PC is not booting this pen drive and error comes up - operating system missing). PC first boot device...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums