Windows 10: "The last backup did not complete successfully" Help!

  1.    06 May 2016 #1

    "The last backup did not complete successfully" Help!


    I keep getting the above error when trying to make a backup of my files from the C:\ to my separate A:\ drive. My A:\ has folders and files on it-could this be causing the failure? I have more than enough room to allow for a backup.
    Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       06 May 2016 #2

    boidsonly said: View Post
    I keep getting the above error when trying to make a backup of my files from the C:\ to my separate A:\ drive. My A:\ has folders and files on it-could this be causing the failure? I have more than enough room to allow for a backup.
    Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    Hi.
    I have to ask - why is your backup designated as A? A drives were the floppies used years ago. Normally, an external drive would be E, F, G etc. What media are you using for your backup drive? What program are you using to create the backup?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    07 May 2016 #3

    simrick said: View Post
    Hi.
    I have to ask - why is your backup designated as A? A drives were the floppies used years ago. Normally, an external drive would be E, F, G etc. What media are you using for your backup drive? What program are you using to create the backup?
    I had several thumb drives assigned letters so I chose A: for this external HDD, though it is mounted internally of the case.

    I am using the Win 10 backup and restore feature (though the description says Win 7)
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,234
    W10Prox64
       07 May 2016 #4

    boidsonly said: View Post
    I had several thumb drives assigned letters so I chose A: for this external HDD, though it is mounted internally of the case.

    I am using the Win 10 backup and restore feature (though the description says Win 7)
    Thanks.
    Okay. I will make a recommendation here: Don't trust the in-built backup feature. Too many times we have seen it fail.

    Most of the members here use a free program called Macrium Reflect. You make an "image" of your entire hard drive, to a completely separate disk. It is compressed, so it takes up about one-half to two-thirds of the used space of the drive you are backing up. So, if your hard drive is 100GB, your backup will be about 50-65GB. Makes sense? There is an option you can set to perform a verification when making an image. That way, you know you have a good one. And, I usually keep at least 3 images at all times, just in case one goes bad for some reason. You can set it up for auto-imaging on a schedule as well. It has the function to make recovery media, which you boot the system to, and put the image back. This comes in handy when your hard drive completely fails and you have to buy a new one.

    If you have any questions or need any help with it, just ask. Really, this is a much better way to protect yourself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 396
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       07 May 2016 #5

    boidsonly said: View Post
    I had several thumb drives assigned letters so I chose A: for this external HDD, though it is mounted internally of the case.

    I am using the Win 10 backup and restore feature (though the description says Win 7)
    Thanks.
    Is the drive connected to USB 3 port?
    I have the same problem with an external HD using USB 3 but using a USB 2 hub it works fine.
    I am now moving over to Macrium reflect to image & clone Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    08 May 2016 #6

    when I used Windows backup, for some unknown reason, if I have another account and it is Admin. and there are files that are just for the user. This is where I get my error. So for a complete backup, it will not work. Recommend you EaseUS todo backup, do excellent job for this problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint
       08 May 2016 #7

    Windows Backup is less flexible than many of the other programs. Many here use the free Macrium which is simple and quite reliable. I would give that a try. You can do much more with it than Windows built in Backup.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I have been trying to install Win 10 on my Win 7 computer, and I keep getting stalled when it says I need to uninstall Daemon Tools. I don't have this program on my computer (that I have found). I checked in everywhere and it's nowhere to be...
48328 Win 10 with Win 7 icons- note drive, folders, recycle bin, My PC - 77 Win 7 icons altogether. Hi, Icon Changer Damian's Homepage is meant to replace 77 icons in C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll with icons from Win 7 in 1 operation, + a...
This is the first cumulative update and it's not working. The update downloads, then on reboot, it begins the installation, then, "We couldn't complete the updates. Undoing changes. " It also strangely goes into a cycle of restarting numerous...
When emptying the recycle bin there are always about 10 - 15 items left showing in the folder. They are not actually still there because they usually disappear after I refresh the folder. With the recycle bin I could just assume they are gone and...
Afrer 2 days 4-5 times download failure this time download completed... But when i click on"ok lets continue" button it shows"working on it" and nothing happening since hours
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20.
Find Us