Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    04 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10

    System Restore


    Since the last update last week, there have been changes to my computer. Most of them I or you kind people have set straight. But now I notice that my system restore has been turned off . Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on. Is it because the new update reboots my computer in a different way ? The tutorial I watched is not relevant anymore. I rely on system restore when I want to remove unwanted changes to my system. Any help?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    04 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Space coast of Florida
    Posts : 5,373
    Windows 10 Pro X64 16299.19

    The first thing to do is start making image backups to an external hard drive on a regular basis using a program like Macrium Reflect free or Pro. Don't rely on System Restore as your only safety net.

    See if either of the suggestions in this thread help: Solved Can't enable System Restore - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    04 May 2016 #3
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Mojave Desert
    Posts : 42
    W10 Pro 1703

    Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on
    You may need to reconfigure the drive %. Have you clicked on a drive to select it and then clicked on configure?
    I'm not sure what update you got last week but any major updates as in versions will sometimes shut off System Restore or it may just need to be reconfigured.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    04 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
    Since the last update last week, there have been changes to my computer. Most of them I or you kind people have set straight. But now I notice that my system restore has been turned off . Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on. Is it because the new update reboots my computer in a different way ? The tutorial I watched is not relevant anymore. I rely on system restore when I want to remove unwanted changes to my system. Any help?
    ........... Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on..................

    What method you used trying to System Restore back on ?

    Did you click the Configure button > then dot the Turn on system protection > adjust disk space % for system restore > OK when done ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system restore ... configure.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	78233

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	System restore .... turn on.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	78234
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    ........... Nothing happens when I try to turn it back on..................

    What method you used trying to System Restore back on ?

    Did you click the Configure button > then dot the Turn on system protection > adjust disk space % for system restore > OK when done ?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	system restore ... configure.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	78233

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	System restore .... turn on.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	78234
    Yes but nothing happens when I click "Turn on system protection"
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    05 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Do a Repair Install.
    It allows you to keep your files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation is automatic.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Dec 2015
    Posts : 38
    7, 10

    If you want to revert the machine and erase changes you might want to try Rollback Rx. There's a free version (think they call it Home Edition) and it's probably best for restoring the machine. Works a lot better than Windows System Restore at least. Disk imaging would also work, but there's the costs involved of the storage media and the overall speed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    05 May 2016 #8
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    I would also suggest that you do system image backup regularly.
    It helps me restoring the system many times when I had problems I could not solve.

    Whether you use the built-in system image backup or a 3rd party program is entirely up to you. But it is a very useful "backup/restore'" practice.

    P.S. It is important to get the built-in system protection back in action. Concentrate on that first.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    05 May 2016 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 26
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    aw come on I don't know how to do all that; Sign on as administrator, disable 3rd party security, USB drives.... I didn't even ask for this upgrade. I woke up one day and found out it was done while my computer was in sleep mode. I just wanna go back to my old version. Shoulda never upgraded to 10. Too many issues for a novice like me. And don't give me that crap "aw come on, you can do it" bullcrap I'm pissed At the end of my rope. Issue after issue after issue after........
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    05 May 2016 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,891
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
    aw come on I don't know how to do all that; Sign on as administrator, disable 3rd party security, USB drives.... I didn't even ask for this upgrade. I woke up one day and found out it was done while my computer was in sleep mode. I just wanna go back to my old version. Shoulda never upgraded to 10. Too many issues for a novice like me. And don't give me that crap "aw come on, you can do it" bullcrap I'm pissed At the end of my rope. Issue after issue after issue after........

    Here is a simplified instructions on doing Repair Install:

    Use this Tech Bench link to download your version of Windows 10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

    scroll down to Select Edition > click the pointer at the right and select Windows 10 > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    When it is done, go to that folder > open the folder > right click at the iso file > click Mount > click Setup.exe
    Installation will begin.
    It will allow you to keep you files, settings and apps.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.
    Last edited by davidhk; 05 May 2016 at 08:23.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
system restore
if I do a system restore before the time I downloaded a program will all of the program icons that were leftover after I deleted the program be gone
Backup and Restore
System Restore and SSD?
Hey guys, I recently installed an SSD and I found out while running Samsung's OS Optimization disk that it has turned off System Restore by default. I of course can turn it back on, but I wanted to get feedback on turning on System Restore on an...
Backup and Restore
Solved System restore doesn't restore uninstalled software.
Maybe I have a misunderstanding of how System Restore works. Yesterday I uninstalled a program that I'd like to now get back. The company that made the program no longer offers archive downloads for that program in particular. Today it occurred to...
Software and Apps
System Restore not making restore point before updates.
So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore...
Backup and Restore
Solved System Restore
How do I get to system restore on Windows 10?
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:56.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums