Windows 10: New Macrium Reflect Updates Solved

  1.    10 Feb 2018 #1141

    In my case, it's not only MR to blame, same results with Easus ToDo backup (I picked up a free license a while ago when it was offered), it also makes backup but can't be verified. Next try was Acronis True image (it's in 30 day trial mode). Backup was made but I can't find a way to verify image. That gave me opportunity to compare those 3 products and MR came on top by good margin, much faster than either one and makes smallest backup file.
    My OC seems to be problem free, nothing else but those backup SW has any problems, run OCCT test program whole night and didn't produce any errors. Games and everything else runs just fine. For now I'm going to use it but have to set BIOS on defaults while doing it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 19,823
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       10 Feb 2018 #1142

    CountMike said: View Post
    In my case, it's not only MR to blame, same results with Easus ToDo backup (I picked up a free license a while ago when it was offered), it also makes backup but can't be verified. Next try was Acronis True image (it's in 30 day trial mode). Backup was made but I can't find a way to verify image. That gave me opportunity to compare those 3 products and MR came on top by good margin, much faster than either one and makes smallest backup file.
    My OC seems to be problem free, nothing else but those backup SW has any problems, run OCCT test program whole night and didn't produce any errors. Games and everything else runs just fine. For now I'm going to use it but have to set BIOS on defaults while doing it.
    Mike it must be an AMD/chipset thing
    Intel master race forever
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  3.    10 Feb 2018 #1143

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Mike it must be an AMD/chipset thing
    Intel master race forever
    Lol, it crossed my mind.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 19,823
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
    Thread Starter
       10 Feb 2018 #1144

    I know AMD handles memory a bit different than Intel, are you OCing your RAM?
    RAM is used heavily when doing images, whether making one or re-imaging, try using default settings.

    I had a problem once using Hyper-V when I OC'd my RAM way above the XMP(200Mhz higher). It was stable for testing/benching and stressing, but Hyper-V didn't work, so I needed to drop it back to the 3000Mhz XMP value.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       10 Feb 2018 #1145

    CountMike said: View Post
    In my case, it's not only MR to blame, same results with Easus ToDo backup (I picked up a free license a while ago when it was offered), it also makes backup but can't be verified. Next try was Acronis True image (it's in 30 day trial mode). Backup was made but I can't find a way to verify image. That gave me opportunity to compare those 3 products and MR came on top by good margin, much faster than either one and makes smallest backup file.
    My OC seems to be problem free, nothing else but those backup SW has any problems, run OCCT test program whole night and didn't produce any errors. Games and everything else runs just fine. For now I'm going to use it but have to set BIOS on defaults while doing it.
    Might be worth posting on the MR forum. See what they say.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    10 Feb 2018 #1146

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I know AMD handles memory a bit different than Intel, are you OCing your RAM?
    RAM is used heavily when doing images, whether making one or re-imaging, try using default settings.

    I had a problem once using Hyper-V when I OC'd my RAM way above the XMP(200Mhz higher). It was stable for testing/benching and stressing, but Hyper-V didn't work, so I needed to drop it back to the 3000Mhz XMP value.
    With DDR4, base frequency is 2133MHz, even using XMP profile is overclocking it. XMP is just a guide for BIOS to OC to specific frequency and with specific settings. 3200MHz is top XMP for this RAM and I'm using 3133MHz settings because 3200 doesn't seem to be as stable as next one down. Also tried all other XMP settings but to no avail for MR. This BIOS allows 66MHz spread between RAM frequency dividers, but that's more for OC or HW forum. XMP is called DOCP (Direct Over Clock Profile) with this BIOS but may go by other names like DHCP, EOCP etc, depending on MB brand and platform. It all falls under JEDEC standards, sometimes called SPD.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 17,660
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       10 Feb 2018 #1147

    Something else that may be worth trying. Force MR to use File System writes instead of direct disk I/O. It's in Backup->Disk Write Performance...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    10 Feb 2018 #1148

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I know AMD handles memory a bit different than Intel, are you OCing your RAM?
    RAM is used heavily when doing images, whether making one or re-imaging, try using default settings.

    I had a problem once using Hyper-V when I OC'd my RAM way above the XMP(200Mhz higher). It was stable for testing/benching and stressing, but Hyper-V didn't work, so I needed to drop it back to the 3000Mhz XMP value.
    Base frequency for DDR4 is 2133MHz, XMP is just a guide for BIOS to set specific OC at specific settings and using XMP is also overclocking it. In this case, it's called DOCP (Direct OverClok Profile) used by ASUS for AMD platform, others may call it DHCP etc. but it's all actually XMP (eXtreme Memory Profile) name coined by Intel.
    This BIOS allows 66MHz increments in memory frequency dividers and I tried all profiles from 2133MHz and MR and Easus (maybe Acronis too) are only ones balking at all OC values. Real mystery. I can change about couple of dozen other settings not affected by XMP but testing any changes just for MR problem solving would be too lengthy process as each one would take half to an hour to do, make backup > validate and so on, to say nothing about changes eventually interfering with other programs or OS.
    Until I (maybe)find a solution, it's easier to set one of BIOS profiles (have 10 in this BIOS) to best defaults MR works on and activate it when needed, about once a week, it takes only couple minutes to do, then I can go back to another OC profile.
    In mean time I'll consult some people in few other OCing forums, it's more likely to find somebody with same configuration there.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    10 Feb 2018 #1149

    kado897 said: View Post
    Something else that may be worth trying. Force MR to use File System writes instead of direct disk I/O. It's in Backup->Disk Write Performance...
    I didn't know about that one, will try. In MR for it's likely they'll just blame OC, I doubt there's somebody with same configuration there. I looked thru but there's nothing similar.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  •    10 Feb 2018 #1150

    CountMike said: View Post
    I didn't know about that one, will try. In MR for it's likely they'll just blame OC, I doubt there's somebody with same configuration there. I looked thru but there's nothing similar.
    Keith might have a point, it would not hurt, joining the MR forum, and explaining your issue. Worth a shot Mike.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    Macrium Reflect... in Backup and Restore
    Hi all, Having just upgraded to the latest Window 10 CU I am now looking for so good back up software... For a number of years I have been using Memeo instant back up, and the version I have now it old so an update is required even though it...
    Macrium Reflect errors. in General Support
    Okay so I booted up my computer today and looked in the event log and noticed some errors from Macrium Reflect . Event ID 7000. The MacriumService service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or...
    If you ask me, Macrium Reflect should be obligatory, first application installed after installing Windows 10. Users often think it as just another backup application but in fact it is much more, giving more than any other free imaging solution....
    New Macrium Reflect Update in Backup and Restore
    New Macrium Reflect Update ready to be downloaded and updated Version 6.1 Build 1225
    Macrium Reflect FAILED in Backup and Restore
    Whenever I try to restore a Macrium Reflect image, it says: Macrium Reflect has encountered a serious problem: Dump file 'C:\reflectv6.1-871-x64-0.dmp was created. Please email this file to support@macrium.com What free image programs WORK in...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:33.
    Find Us