Windows 10: can't create restore point


  1. Posts : 310
    windows 10 pro x64 1803
       28 Mar 2016 #1

    can't create restore point


    I get error message:
    the restore point could not be created...
    insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy... (0x8004231F)

    I have 4 gb allotted for restore points on this partition, which is my C partition, and there are no existing restore points . So plenty of room. There are 75 gb free on the partition.

    I just finished reformatting a different partition on a different hard disk, because the system volume information went beserk, it took up 170 gb, even though I had allotted 0 gb for restore points on that volume, but I couldn't get it to give me the space back. So I backed up my data and reformatted . Now it is behaving itself, but I suspect it is a related problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,438
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1803 Build 17134.81 and W10 Insider Build 17677
       28 Mar 2016 #2

    It is possible that there is not enough space, the system creates a snapshot in temporary storage and works from that to create a restore point so that you carry on working while the restore point is being created. Have you created separate partitions for pagefiles or temporary file locations and is it trying to use these?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 310
    windows 10 pro x64 1803
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2016 #3

    philc43 said: View Post
    It is possible that there is not enough space, the system creates a snapshot in temporary storage and works from that to create a restore point so that you carry on working while the restore point is being created. Have you created separate partitions for pagefiles or temporary file locations and is it trying to use these?
    I am using Rollback Rx, it creates snapshots of the system, on unused portions of the hard disk, in places that windows can't read. Maybe that is the problem?

    truth is, I don't really care so much about the windows restore points, I never had much luck with them, and I prefer snapshots and system images to perform my restores. But I was concerned that maybe there is an underlying problem here.
    As I mentioned on my original post, something went weird with my other hard disk (there are no snapshots active on it), so I'm a little worried about the health of my system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 3,438
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1803 Build 17134.81 and W10 Insider Build 17677
       28 Mar 2016 #4

    I am using Rollback Rx, it creates snapshots of the system, on unused portions of the hard disk, in places that windows can't read. Maybe that is the problem?
    You could be right.

    A Windows system restore point only helps if the system files get corrupted in some way and does nothing for program files or your own data files so a system image backup is much better and I would certainly make a system image backup every week or so.

    If there is any underlying system problem you can check for this with the sfc /scannow command.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 310
    windows 10 pro x64 1803
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2016 #5

    that scannow command gives false messages about corrupt files in Windows 10, and Microsoft finally admits it:
    Microsoft Acknowledges System File Checker Issue in Windows 10 Version 1511 | MalwareTips.com
    philc43 said: View Post
    You could be right.

    A Windows system restore point only helps if the system files get corrupted in some way and does nothing for program files or your own data files so a system image backup is much better and I would certainly make a system image backup every week or so.

    If there is any underlying system problem you can check for this with the sfc /scannow command.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 310
    windows 10 pro x64 1803
    Thread Starter
       28 Mar 2016 #6

    shmu26 said: View Post
    I am using Rollback Rx
    I suppose I could check out my theory next time I uninstall Rollback. I use it on a SSD, so I have to uninstall it every once in a while, and reboot, and then run TRIM. Then I can reinstall it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 3,438
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1803 Build 17134.81 and W10 Insider Build 17677
       28 Mar 2016 #7

    shmu26 said: View Post
    that scannow command gives false messages about corrupt files in Windows 10, and Microsoft finally admits it:
    Microsoft Acknowledges System File Checker Issue in Windows 10 Version 1511 | MalwareTips.com
    I am aware of that and I usually check the cbs.log file. If the only problem item mentioned is the opencl.dll file I know that everything else is OK.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  • Posts : 310
    windows 10 pro x64 1803
    Thread Starter
       29 Mar 2016 #8

    shmu26 said: View Post
    I suppose I could check out my theory next time I uninstall Rollback. I use it on a SSD, so I have to uninstall it every once in a while, and reboot, and then run TRIM. Then I can reinstall it.
    I uninstalled Rollback, and I was able to create a system restore point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  

    Related Threads
    Performance & Maintenance Create System Restore Point in Windows 10 in Tutorials
    How to Create a System Restore Point in Windows 10 System protection (if turned on) is a feature that allows you to perform a system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy...
    System protection (if turned on) is a feature that allows you to perform a system restore that takes your PC back to an earlier point in time, called a system restore point. This can be handy if your PC isn't working well and you recently installed...
    create restore point using task scheduler windows 10 Home I am certain this has been covered somewhere, but can't find it....maybe could be added to restore point tutorials section.. did in create one but never seemed to work.. thanks
    So why did Microsoft change this? If I remember correctly all previous versions would create a system restore point before doing Microsoft updates. Since 10 installed all updates that come in for me are downloaded and installed without a restore...
    want to create a shortcut for ' create restore point'. managed to find the ' use a restore point file' but this only allows restoration from a restore point not. relation of one. i know there a few ways to do this, but want to put a link on my...
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45.
    Find Us