Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore)

  1.    04 Feb 2016 #1

    Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel (Backup & Restore)


    Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

    I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not have a Windows (8.1 or 10) product key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop .

    Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 . Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default Backup via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7 or 8.1 only ( which means that the system can be recovered back to Windows 7 or 8.1 only – not Windows 10 ) .

    I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is taking me back to Windows 7 ? Can I not create a Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ? If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive .

    I expect some Microsoft representative to reply & explain on the following points –

    a) After upgradation to Windows 10 , why Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option is meant for Windows 7 ( or 8.1 ) recovery .

    b) How to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .

    Thanks in advance .

    ==================================================================================================== ===========
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 Feb 2016 #2

    Hi, this forum is run by fellow users.. if you'd like to attract the attention of MS employees, suggest trying technet - a MS forum.
    Technet forums

    To answer (a): Here's a MS answer (a little searching finds this helpful info):
    Backup and Restore - Microsoft Community

    To answer (b): From the tutorial section:
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    I would also strongly suggest you look into 3rd party disk imaging, generally preferred, which allows you to restore your system to how it was when you created the image, back up your data, and generally let you sleep at night

    Hope that's useful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Feb 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, this forum is run by fellow users.. if you'd like to attract the attention of MS employees, suggest trying technet - a MS forum.
    Technet forums

    To answer (a): Here's a MS answer (a little searching finds this helpful info):
    Backup and Restore - Microsoft Community

    To answer (b): From the tutorial section:
    Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    I would also strongly suggest you look into 3rd party disk imaging, generally preferred, which allows you to restore your system to how it was when you created the image, back up your data, and generally let you sleep at night

    Hope that's useful.
    ============================================================================
    I shall welcome reply/comments from any expert/user to explain the points raised by me . Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    05 Feb 2016 #4

    garg said: View Post
    Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )

    I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not have a Windows (8.1 or 10) product key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop .

    Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 . Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default Backup via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7 or 8.1 only ( which means that the system can be recovered back to Windows 7 or 8.1 only – not Windows 10 ) .

    I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is taking me back to Windows 7 ? Can I not create a Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ? If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive .

    I expect some Microsoft representative to reply & explain on the following points –

    a) After upgradation to Windows 10 , why Control Panel ( Backup & Restore ) option is meant for Windows 7 ( or 8.1 ) recovery .

    b) How to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .

    Thanks in advance .

    ==================================================================================================== ===========
    I shall welcome reply/comments from any expert/user to explain the points raised by me . Thanks
    ========================================================================
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    05 Feb 2016 #5

    I am afraid it is your lack of understanding that is the issue.

    Firstly, you are wrong about the backup and restore (Windows 7).

    It works for Windows 10 fine. It is just badly named - it just means backup and restore, using the imaging backup method as initially used in Windows 7, rather than the newer File History Backup as introduced in Windows 8.

    I recommend 3rd party apps like Macrium Reflect Free as much more powerful (and reliable).

    Also, you are wrong about creating a usb recovery drive.

    You simply go to control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and click to copy system files

    In any case, you do not really need a recovery drive for windows 10, as Windows 10 no longer uses recovery partitions as such.

    It rebuilds the OS from protected folders within Windows 10 rather than having a separate copy of OS in a recovery partition.

    To this end, a recovery usb is not really much different to a clean installation usb, but is slightly more convenient to use. TBH - you have to recreate it any way after each build update anyway.

    Windows 10 is by far the easiest version to reinstall, as you do not even need an installation key if using digital activation, or PC has it preinstalled, or you buy a key from the store etc.

    Also, due to new build models, the isos on the MS site are always reasonably up to date, so you no longer get the ziilions of updates needed to be downloaded any more.

    If you find when you go to use Recovery options, the reset option refers toWindows 7/8, that is because you probably still have the old recovery partitions on the drive. If you had deleted them during the install, they would not be referred to.

    It is best practice to image backup drives before upgrading, and then installing Windows 10, deleting all partitions (except any data partitions) you may wish to keep.

    Finally, this forum is not affiliated to MS. If you expect an MS rep to respond, ask MS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Feb 2016 #6

    garg said: View Post
    ============================================================================
    I shall welcome reply/comments from any expert/user to explain the points raised by me . Thanks
    Did you actually read my reply above?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    07 Feb 2016 #7

    cereberus said: View Post
    I am afraid it is your lack of understanding that is the issue.

    Firstly, you are wrong about the backup and restore (Windows 7).

    It works for Windows 10 fine. It is just badly named - it just means backup and restore, using the imaging backup method as initially used in Windows 7, rather than the newer File History Backup as introduced in Windows 8.

    I recommend 3rd party apps like Macrium Reflect Free as much more powerful (and reliable).

    Also, you are wrong about creating a usb recovery drive.

    You simply go to control panel, recovery, create recovery drive, and click to copy system files

    In any case, you do not really need a recovery drive for windows 10, as Windows 10 no longer uses recovery partitions as such.

    It rebuilds the OS from protected folders within Windows 10 rather than having a separate copy of OS in a recovery partition.

    To this end, a recovery usb is not really much different to a clean installation usb, but is slightly more convenient to use. TBH - you have to recreate it any way after each build update anyway.

    Windows 10 is by far the easiest version to reinstall, as you do not even need an installation key if using digital activation, or PC has it preinstalled, or you buy a key from the store etc.

    Also, due to new build models, the isos on the MS site are always reasonably up to date, so you no longer get the ziilions of updates needed to be downloaded any more.

    If you find when you go to use Recovery options, the reset option refers toWindows 7/8, that is because you probably still have the old recovery partitions on the drive. If you had deleted them during the install, they would not be referred to.

    It is best practice to image backup drives before upgrading, and then installing Windows 10, deleting all partitions (except any data partitions) you may wish to keep.

    Finally, this forum is not affiliated to MS. If you expect an MS rep to respond, ask MS.
    ===========================================================================

    Thanks for your reply . However to make my point more clear I am citing a case and look forward to specific reply .

    " In my other Laptop Windows 10 was installed ( upgrade from 8.1 ) . Its hard disk (HDD) is now crashed which has been replaced with a new one . No recovery/back up drive was ever made . No Code for Win 8.1 is available as it was preinstalled. Now the problem is as to how to get back Windows 10 , as Microsoft does not recognize the new HDD . What is the solution . "

    Shall appreciate your reply . Thanks in advance .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    07 Feb 2016 #8

    garg said: View Post
    ===========================================================================

    Thanks for your reply . However to make my point more clear I am citing a case and look forward to specific reply .

    " In my other Laptop Windows 10 was installed ( upgrade from 8.1 ) . Its hard disk (HDD) is now crashed which has been replaced with a new one . No recovery/back up drive was ever made . No Code for Win 8.1 is available as it was preinstalled. Now the problem is as to how to get back Windows 10 , as Microsoft does not recognize the new HDD . What is the solution . "

    Shall appreciate your reply . Thanks in advance .
    Install it from scratch by creating a usb installation stick or dvd.

    How to do a Clean Install of Windows 10, the Easy Way
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    07 Feb 2016 #9

    Here's how to create a recovery disk.
    1. Download Rufus from rufus.akeo.ie
    2. Download a Windows 10 ISO (you can get them from Microsoft)
    3. Open rufus
    4. What you will do is create a bootable usb for windows 10
    5. If your laptop ever fails, just boot it up and choose repair my computer!
    6. Simples!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Windows10 reinstall or restore or...? in Installation and Upgrade
Hey guys. New to the forums. I have a dell inspiron 7000 series with windows 10 home. Any dell I've ever owned has always had a bad install of windows. I used to tech on windows 7 down to windows 95, but have very little experience with 10 since I...
Solved control panel in General Support
Where do I find it?
Windows 10 - Backup/Restore/Recovery (Computer Dummy) I would like to enquire how to go about creating a system restore/backup/recovery for installed Windows 10. Two of my computers (Lenovo and 2x Medion) have a factory installed Windows 8...
The windows 7 control panel had all those links on the left for relative tasks depending on which page you where on. The windows 10 control panel still has most options (i do not like the Modern one) but you must go to control panel then search for...
when attempting to install win 10 from a usb drive is there a difference between restarting the pc with usb as first in boot order in bios vs in win8.1 control panel recovery options advanced options using it to restart and boot from usb devive....
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:05.
Find Us