Issue with creating Image on Laptop with Macrium Reflect

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 35
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Thanks for your help Word Man, unfortunately after downloading and creating a new rescue DVD with most current version of MR, the same error exists. I do not have the paid version of Macrium Reflect, I would however be interested in other opinions and suggestions from other members to resolve my issue. To recap the computers I'm using are a HP DVT7 laptop and HP Envy 17 Laptop. Both were successfully upgraded to Win10 in October and fully updated as mentioned earlier the only thing that's really changed was the last round of Win10 updates. I had successfully created 2 images prior to getting this error and had restored an image to address a failed hard drive issue.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #12

    topgundcp

    When I made my new rescue DVD, I do not believe I selected the WinPE 10.0 Rescue media. I think I just went with all defaults. Later tonight after work I will recreate the Rescue DVD and make sure I use that option and try again. I will post my results here.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 35
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #13

    I have tested the new build twice on each laptop and continue to get the error msg referencing seeing the History Log that is really nowhere to found. As suggested I sent a screen shot of the error and explained the error in a email to support@macrium.com I got an automated reply stating they do not provide any support for the Free version. Really? How can you expect to purchase a product when the freeware does not work? Don' get that. With that said and if they are not interested in addressing an issue I see that is pretty solid across 2 laptops, what is another free product I can use to create system images. I've a lot of time on my own and need to be able to back up images quickly and painlessly.

    Thanks in advance for anyone's suggestions and solutions
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,261
    Windows 11 (22581.100)
       #14

    Hi,
    If you like give this free AOMEI backupper a try :Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #15

    steveh69 said:
    thanks for the swift reply Word Man, My 3 TB external drive is just connected via USB so was my 1 TB drive that worked in the past. The right most tab is Help, I don't see a log option listed there. Here's a pic of my menu options
    I think I've spotted it... in your picture, the My Passport disk is selected (little tick box underneath the disk logo). So when you select 'Image selected disks...' it will try to copy a backup of the My Passport drive onto itself.... which won't work.

    In the earlier screenshot you can also see that the Destination Disk (at the top) is My Passport (D: ) and the error comes when it is 'Saving Partition' of My Passport D: .

    You need to untick the drive you're saving onto, before you use Image Selected Disks.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #16

    DavidY said:
    I think I've spotted it... in your picture, the My Passport disk is selected (little tick box underneath the disk logo). So when you select 'Image selected disks...' it will try to copy a backup of the My Passport drive onto itself.... which won't work.

    In the earlier screenshot you can also see that the Destination Disk (at the top) is My Passport (D: ) and the error comes when it is 'Saving Partition' of My Passport D: .

    You need to untick the drive you're saving onto, before you use Image Selected Disks.
    Sorry, that's not it. The check mark on the lower drive just means all the partitions will be imaged if that disk is selected. Actually the selection for imaging IS his first disk. Note that the link for "Image this disk..." is below the 1st disk. PLUS, hard to know unless you've done this up close in Macrium, but the first disk ONLY selection for imaging is indicated by the highlighted display of that first disk, whereas there is no highlight around the second disk. If OP were to simply click in the middle of the disk 2 display, they would then see the highlighting shift to that disk and the "Image this disk..." link shift to displaying below that disk.

    P.S. This response was a bit hasty and off target, please see my next post below - will delete or edit later if I was totally wrong on the check mark.
    Last edited by Word Man; 30 Dec 2015 at 12:17. Reason: Incomplete interpretation of David Y's post.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,524
    Windows 10 Pro (32-bit) 16299.15
       #17

    Word Man said:
    Sorry, that's not it.
    So why does it say (first screenshot) "Saving Partition My Passport D:", just before it fails, when it's clear (from further up the screen) that D: is also the destination partition?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #18

    DavidY said:
    So why does it say (first screenshot) "Saving Partition My Passport D:", just before it fails, when it's clear (from further up the screen) that D: is also the destination partition?
    My apologies for not reading your post thoroughly enough, DavidY, before I refuted it! I only looked at OP's second screenshot and didn't grasp what you said about the 1st screenshot!

    You have a valid point and that could the source of OP's problem - however, OP said they tried to send image(s) to a 3TB external - is this screenshot of that exact attempt? I'm not even sure how OP ended up with both disks selected for backup by Macrium - I normally only image one disk at a time with Macrium.

    I'm still interpreting the 2nd screenshot (in isolation) as one taken independent of prior imaging attempts and showing only Disk 1 selected - but admit I should verify that when I get home by actually getting into the interface and checking it out.

    @steveh69 , it's up to you, but if you wanted to continue trying to get Macrium, we can help more with more clarity on exact source disk(s) and target disk being attempted.

    OTOH, the pursuit of Macrium could be moot if you decide you want to followup the AOMEI suggestion from brummyfan - let us know which way you want to go.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 35
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Thanks guys for what was spotted in my source selections. I actually spotted that myself this morning and tried it again on both laptops by deselecting my destination drive from the image disk list screen. It fails exactly the same way so I don't think by leaving it that way by default had any bearing on this error, however it makes perfect sense since I did not need an image of the content on that external drive. So essentially I'm still in the same boat. I always like to get problems solved if I can, I don't give up too easily but there's a point of frustration and wasted time, I do have a lot of patience.


    Word Man said:
    My apologies for not reading your post thoroughly enough, DavidY, before I refuted it! I only looked at OP's second screenshot and didn't grasp what you said about the 1st screenshot!

    You have a valid point and that could the source of OP's problem - however, OP said they tried to send image(s) to a 3TB external - is this screenshot of that exact attempt? I'm not even sure how OP ended up with both disks selected for backup by Macrium - I normally only image one disk at a time with Macrium.

    I'm still interpreting the 2nd screenshot (in isolation) as one taken independent of prior imaging attempts and showing only Disk 1 selected - but admit I should verify that when I get home by actually getting into the interface and checking it out.

    @steveh69 , it's up to you, but if you wanted to continue trying to get Macrium, we can help more with more clarity on exact source disk(s) and target disk being attempted.

    OTOH, the pursuit of Macrium could be moot if you decide you want to followup the AOMEI suggestion from brummyfan - let us know which way you want to go.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 35
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Is this just backup software or can it be used to create a complete system image?

    brummyfan said:
    Hi,
    If you like give this free AOMEI backupper a try :Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:12.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums