Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    29 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 46
    Windows 10

    Backup @ Recovery question


    I just upgraded W7 to W10 on my old laptop.
    Now I want to create a backup in case my HDD fails.

    1. Create Recovery Drive (windows utility) using USB drive.
    2. Run Backup and Restore (windows utility) using external HDD.

    One think I noticed it says "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)".

    Question:

    1. Will recovery drive load W7 or W10, does it matter.....?
    2. The same question about Backup and Restore.


    Thanks,
    -BBDS
    Last edited by boyboyds; 30 Nov 2015 at 00:54.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    Recommend to use Macrium Reflect, I wouldn't use the Windows one...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,492
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    I agree with @djriful about Macrium, but I would use both, and I did, just for insurance. Recovery Drive - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    30 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 46
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Thanks,

    I like Macrium and used it in the past, but then I need to buy another 2.5 HDD (I have a laptop).
    But I have several old 3.5 HDDs at home.
    This is why I was trying to use Recovery USB + Imaging HDD rather than Cloning.

    -BBDS
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 Nov 2015 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 112
    Win 7

    If you created the image files or recovery USB after upgrading to Win 10, it should be the image for Win 10. But couldn't understand why it says "backup and restore Win 7". Actually, you can use Macrium reflect or free Easeus todo backup to do the same thing, creating a recovery USB and imaging the hard drives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 Nov 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,418
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by boyboyds View Post
    I like Macrium and used it in the past, but then I need to buy another 2.5 HDD (I have a laptop).
    Why would you have to buy another 2.5 HDD? Save the backup image to whatever source you want to. Create a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB (you only need a 4 GB USB or 1 DVD). There are also ways to add it to the same external USB hard drive to boot from it too, but that's a bit complicated. To restore from a failed hard drive you boot from the Rescue USB/DVD and then restore the image from wherever you stored it to onto the new HDD or SSD.

    Personally, I've got one USB flash drive that has the install files for Windows 10 Home, Pro, 32-bit and 64-bit, Macrium Relflect Free rescue and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free - all on one multi-boot USB flash drive. My actual backup images are stored on USB external hard drives.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 Nov 2015 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 357
    Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Why would you have to buy another 2.5 HDD? Save the backup image to whatever source you want to. Create a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB (you only need a 4 GB USB or 1 DVD). There are also ways to add it to the same external USB hard drive to boot from it too, but that's a bit complicated. To restore from a failed hard drive you boot from the Rescue USB/DVD and then restore the image from wherever you stored it to onto the new HDD or SSD.

    Personally, I've got one USB flash drive that has the install files for Windows 10 Home, Pro, 32-bit and 64-bit, Macrium Relflect Free rescue and MiniTool Partition Wizard Free - all on one multi-boot USB flash drive. My actual backup images are stored on USB external hard drives.
    I use Macrium free and i can create the Rescue Media on a CD.
    The Rescue Media i create does work for me.

    I'm curious why you need a 4GB USB or DVD for Macrium Rescue Media, and i don't.
    I don't store the Backup Image on the rescue media, but mine would never fit in 4GB space.
    My Backup Images are 10-30 GB.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    30 Nov 2015 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,418
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    I use Macrium free and i can create the Rescue Media on a CD.
    The Rescue Media i create does work for me.

    I'm curious why you need a 4GB USB or DVD for Macrium Rescue Media, and i don't.
    I don't store the Backup Image on the rescue media, but mine would never fit in 4GB space.
    My Backup Images are 10-30 GB.
    I meant that you only need a 4 GB USB for the rescue disc, not the backup image. And yes, rescue will fit on a CD.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    30 Nov 2015 #9
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    NW Florida
    Posts : 9,492
    Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro/Windows 7 Enterprise/Linux Mint

    I believe the Macrium Recovery WinPE is 512MB.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    30 Nov 2015 #10
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 46
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    In the past I used Macrium for cloning, and then when my HDD failed I just replaced it with the cloned one.
    And it has worked so far. But now I am dealing with a laptop and I do not have a spare 2.5 HDD.

    But I think you are saying that I can use Macrium to create a Recovery DVD/USB + Image backup as well.
    If so, then I agree, I do not need to buy another 2.5 HDD, I can use my old 3.5 HDDs for Imaging.

    I will try both methods, Windows utility and Macrium, I have plenty of blank DVDs and used 3.5 HDDs.

    Thank you all for your explanation.
    -BBDS
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Uninstall dell backup and recovery windows 10
I have a Dell Inspiron 17R laptop that came with Windows 8. I downloaded 8.1 and used that since 2013. I am now using Windows 10 and it has been it good transition until the last update. I keep getting messages about dell backup and recovery not...
Backup and Restore
Windows 10 - Backup/Restore/Recovery
Windows 10 - Backup/Restore/Recovery (Computer Dummy) I would like to enquire how to go about creating a system restore/backup/recovery for installed Windows 10. Two of my computers (Lenovo and 2x Medion) have a factory installed Windows 8...
Backup and Restore
Dell Backup & Recovery updated for Windows 10
Just for info for those that have a Dell with all the Dell software still installed The Backup & Recovery software has been updated and it has updated the recovery partitions for Windows 10 I have no blank media at the moment to test, but you...
Backup and Restore
Dell Backup and Recovery Error
Hi, I installed the latest Dell Backup and Recovery 1.9.0.22 on my Windows 10 pro Dell 7720. But I get the below error while initializing ...
Backup and Restore
dell backup and recovery
My wife is thinking about upgrading to windows 10 BUT she gets this message to please be sure to update to the latest version of Dell back up and recovery before upgrading to windows 10..My question is how does she know if she even has this program...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:19.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums