Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1.    28 Nov 2015 #1
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home

    Struggling here how do you backup windows 10?


    Struggling here how do you backup windows 10? With Acronis 2014 or 2015 or 2016. Do I have to select Winre unnamed partition windows c drive and recovery drive D. Or do I just pic C: Drive and D: drive/recovery drive? Thank you in advance. What is the easiest version to use to backup with Acronis. Things have changed so much from Windows 7!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 Nov 2015 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, good that you are aware of and use disk imaging. Windows is fragile and easily offended. Personally I wouldn't use Acronis TI and haven't for years after it failed to find my SATA drives completely. It's a bloated cumbersome product. Also, some have reported problems with the VSS service.

    I use Aomei Backupper (free is fine); straightforward, regularly updated.
    Many here recommend Macrium reflect (free) - a mature and modern product.
    Both offer differential and incremental imaging.

    You need the boot disk for whichever solution you choose, and need to make sure your PC is configured to boot from it.
    You also need external storage for your backup- I suggest an absolute minimum of double the amount you intend to back up.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 Nov 2015 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, good that you are aware of and use disk imaging. Windows is fragile and easily offended. Personally I wouldn't use Acronis TI and haven't for years after it failed to find my SATA drives completely. It's a bloated cumbersome product. Also, some have reported problems with the VSS service.

    I use Aomei Backupper (free is fine); straightforward, regularly updated.
    Many here recommend Macrium reflect (free) - a mature and modern product.
    Both offer differential and incremental imaging.

    You need the boot disk for whichever solution you choose, and need to make sure your PC is configured to boot from it.
    You also need external storage for your backup- I suggest an absolute minimum of double the amount you intend to back up.
    Thank you I thought Acronis was the best. Going to give them a go thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 Nov 2015 #4
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,114
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Not to push one product over another but having used both I feel Macrium Reflect is a true gem.
    Truly clever software really and mighty fast too.
    Do a search on the forum and find out how it can help you. Lots of users here have been recommending it for years and it keeps getting better.
    Make sure to have it build a rescue drive for you (it only needs 269Mb using the latest WinPE) on USB/CD/DVD or external drive and test boot from it.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    01 Dec 2015 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,

    Not to push one product over another but having used both I feel Macrium Reflect is a true gem.
    Truly clever software really and mighty fast too.
    Do a search on the forum and find out how it can help you. Lots of users here have been recommending it for years and it keeps getting better.
    Make sure to have it build a rescue drive for you (it only needs 269Mb using the latest WinPE) on USB/CD/DVD or external drive and test boot from it.

    Cheers,
    I had a look yesterday and it's not free unless I have hit the wrong link.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    01 Dec 2015 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,195
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    You can use this link:
    Macrium Reflect Free
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    01 Dec 2015 #7
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,343
    Mac OS Sierra

    I use Clonezilla for backing up all of my machines.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    01 Dec 2015 #8
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    I use Clonezilla for backing up all of my machines.
    That's amazing how can they do it for free? Is there ads on it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    01 Dec 2015 #9
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,115
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    You can use this link:
    Macrium Reflect Free
    Mm, caution: that's a CNET download, wrapped in CNET's installer, which offers - well- other things you have to unclick. (Adware? Scumware? which might answer the question as to how money might be made in that particular case (CNET).
    I'd suggest downloading it from (e.g.)
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition Download

    "Although casual users can find the app sufficient for their needs, network administrators and other advanced users might need additional options such as incremental backups which can be accessed by purchasing Macrium Reflect Standard Edition or other editions."
    - that's Softpedia's comment, and having now tried it, although it appears to offer both incremental and differential modes, when you try an incremental backup it tells you this is NOT available in the free edition. Nor is file/folder backup.

    It does offer options to set up a range of different backup schedules, with purge criteria for the backups.

    I know Aomei Backupper offers both.. and includes restore to dissimilar hardware which is excluded from Macrium Reflect trials:
    Compare Different Editions of AOMEI Backupper
    Last edited by dalchina; 01 Dec 2015 at 06:34.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    01 Dec 2015 #10
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Mm, caution: that's a CNET download, wrapped in CNET's installer, which offers - well- other things you have to unclick. (Adware? Scumware? which might answer the question as to how money might be made in that particular case (CNET).
    I'd suggest downloading it from (e.g.)
    Macrium Reflect Free Edition Download
    Thanks mate.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 backup settings?
Hello, quick question, Does windows 10 backups settings like theme, mail and other settings as windows 8.1 onedrive did? You basically set up a new computer and sign into onedrive and it pulled all your settings onto your new computer. Does...
Backup and Restore
Backup fails with "check your backup"
Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB. Backup repeatedly fails with: Check your backup The...
Backup and Restore
Microsoft announces Backup of Windows 10 machines using Azure Backup
Windows 10 client machines can now be backed up seamlessly to cloud by Azure Backup service. Customers with machines running Windows 10 (64-bit) operating systems can protect their important file-folder data to Azure in a secure manner and restore...
Backup and Restore
Backup - removed folders to backup keep coming back
I'm setting up a file backup on Win 10 Pro. Under the backup settings there is the "Back up these folders" section. I have a total of five folders I want to backup so I keep removing all the folders that Windows adds by default and leave the five...
Backup and Restore
Size of backup file using Windows Backup
I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums