Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1.    01 Dec 2015 #41
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by fdegrove View Post
    Hi,



    If that bothers you, you can change it quite easily by opening up explorer, selecting the documents folder, properties, location.
    You can then change the address of that folder to whatever you fancy for as long as the location is physically available.
    For instance, mine is set to point to partition D:\. I did the same for all the folders that save content to the drive: Download, Pictures etc.
    If you just want these to point to a different partition you could do this through "Settings" > "Storage" too.

    As for the .xml file Macrium Reflect want to use to identify the backup you made, it's not really necessary. it's just a convenience whenever several backup copies are kept in the same location..

    Cheers,
    I thought you had to keep December drive clean mate because it's your recovery drive! And is there not a limit to Dr's drive. Restricting how much storage you have as a partition? I would really like to do a clean install of Windows 10. But jellybean key finder doesn't give you the product keys, plus I would like to clone the disk so I can just install all my programms Etc. But I can't get Acronis or Macrium to clone it. On Acronis, when I pick the destination drive, well, I can't it's greyed out. And Macrium says there's not enough room on my external hard drive and there is. That I would love to do. But when I tried to go back to Windows 7 professional, I formated the c drive, and then it said I couldn't install anything on the c drive, so I think it was unable to see the drive after I formatted it. This would have allowed me to get Windows 10 pro. But I couldn't do anything with it so I had to take it back to pc world, and they couldn't fix it either so they had to send it away to get fixed and when I picked it back up the guy just said it was a software fault and they updated the bios, and that was all he knew about it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    01 Dec 2015 #42
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 36,389
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    To find your product key use this link, to download this keyfinder, which is made by one of our members, and works quite well.

    https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    01 Dec 2015 #43
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,967
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    I thought you had to keep December drive clean mate because it's your recovery drive!
    Why would it be my recovery drive?
    I just keep my C:\ drive for the OS, anything else goes elsewhere. D:\ partition for Data etc. Backups are made locally to D: but a copy goes to an external HD, server, whatever.
    Just common practice in large corporations really.


    Jelly Bean won't return correct key under Win 10 so use Showkey as suggested by OldMike65. It's very good.


    I never, ever, ran into probs using Macrium Reflect Free, not ever. If it objects to something then AFAIK it's correct in doing so anyway.

    Sorry to hear about all the trouble you had to go through but really, a pc is just a pc no matter how hard an OEM tries to make it "unique".


    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    02 Dec 2015 #44
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 4,020
    Mac OS Sierra

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    I have another problem, I am not getting notified of emails on computer. I have answered every post from my phone apart from 1 where I was in the mail app and seen it. I am taking it back tomorrow, they can repair it user name Etc. It's only a few months old, I wanted 10 professional but my Dell computer was on it's last legs. Two new hard drives. Then the display went. I decided it would be cheaper buying a new one as something else would happen to it in the not to distant future.
    The whole notification has been wonky since the RTM came out. Until they quit playing their games with the OS. Headaches that turn into Migraines will be abound.

    I just killed 10 off of my wife's laptop, because of tired dealing with hours every day, trying to fix the issues from the updates.

    When you whole day for four days are taken up, instead of relaxing being retired. There is an issue.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Dec 2015 #45
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    The whole notification has been wonky since the RTM came out. Until they quit playing their games with the OS. Headaches that turn into Migraines will be abound.

    I just killed 10 off of my wife's laptop, because of tired dealing with hours every day, trying to fix the issues from the updates.

    When you whole day for four days are taken up, instead of relaxing being retired. There is an issue.
    I agree with you there always something wrong with it. And I will say it again the only great OS they have made since xp is 7
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Dec 2015 #46
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    The whole notification has been wonky since the RTM came out. Until they quit playing their games with the OS. Headaches that turn into Migraines will be abound.

    I just killed 10 off of my wife's laptop, because of tired dealing with hours every day, trying to fix the issues from the updates.

    When you whole day for four days are taken up, instead of relaxing being retired. There is an issue.
    How did you install Windows 7 Mike, I would like to do a clean install of it. As I formatted the drive and messed it up. I did disable secure boot and enable legacy. But I'm obviously doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Dec 2015 #47
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,057
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    How did you install Windows 7 Mike, I would like to do a clean install of it. As I formatted the drive and messed it up. I did disable secure boot and enable legacy. But I'm obviously doing something wrong? Thank you in advance.
    It is better to install Windows using GPT partition scheme.
    1. With only one disk you plan to install Windows connected. Set BIOS to EFI, disable Secure boot
    2. From the Boot Menu, There are 2 options to boot from.
      Select UEFI boot mode as shown in the screen shot. NOTE: Your boot menu will look different

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UEFI-MBR Boot Mode.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	51510
    3. On first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10
    4. On command prompt, type: diskpart <ENTER> select disk 0 <ENTER>clean <ENTER>Exit <ENTER>
    5. Continue the installation, Select Custom, hi-lite the unallocated partition then click NEXT
      NOTE: Do not format the disk. Let the installation creates the needed partitions
    6. Continue with installation. If asked for product key, click Skip/Do it later.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    02 Dec 2015 #48
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    It is better to install Windows using GPT partition scheme.
    1. With only one disk you plan to install Windows connected. Set BIOS to EFI, disable Secure boot
    2. From the Boot Menu, There are 2 options to boot from.
      Select UEFI boot mode as shown in the screen shot. NOTE: Your boot menu will look different

      Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UEFI-MBR Boot Mode.png 
Views:	21 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	51510
    3. On first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10
    4. On command prompt, type: diskpart <ENTER> select disk 0 <ENTER>clean <ENTER>Exit <ENTER>
    5. Continue the installation, Select Custom, hi-lite the unallocated partition then click NEXT
      NOTE: Do not format the disk. Let the installation creates the needed partitions
    6. Continue with installation. If asked for product key, click Skip/Do it later.
    Thanks for the information going to print it out just now. When I pluck up the courage to do this I take it windows 10 is still installed and it's a dual boot option correct? And would you just do the same for a windows 10 installation? Internet explorer 11 is acting weird when I log into a site it's all greyed out and I have to refresh it. So it's normal again. I really do wonder what Microsoft is all about these days. It's as if there putting the phone first before the computer! And I would really love to know the easiest way to clone my disk so I don't have to install everything again Acronis option is greyed out when I try to select external hard drive and Macrium reflect says there is not enough room and there is!
    Last edited by hollyoaks777; 02 Dec 2015 at 09:38.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    02 Dec 2015 #49
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    San Jose, California
    Posts : 2,057
    Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64 Win10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by hollyoaks777 View Post
    Thanks for the information going to print it out just now. When I pluck up the courage to do this I take it windows 10 is still installed and it's a dual boot option correct? And would you just do the same for a windows 10 installation? Internet explorer 11 is acting weird when I log into a site it's all greyed out and I have to refresh it. So it's normal again. I really do wonder what Microsoft is all about these days. It's as if there putting the phone first before the computer! And I would really love to know the easiest way to clone my disk so I don't have to install everything again Acronis option is greyed out when I try to select external hard drive and Macrium reflect says there is not enough room and there is!
    Sorry that I missed the part that you want to install Windows 7. The procedure I gave above is for clean install of Windows 10. However, you can also use it to install Windows 7 except you'd need Windows 7 with SP1. Use the procedure below to install Windows 7 with UEFI:
    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Now, back to cloning the disk. FYI, when perform cloning, the disk capacity of the destination disk must be equal or larger in size. Is your destination disk larger than the source disk ?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    02 Dec 2015 #50
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 267
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    Sorry that I missed the part that you want to install Windows 7. The procedure I gave above is for clean install of Windows 10. However, you can also use it to install Windows 7 except you'd need Windows 7 with SP1. Use the procedure below to install Windows 7 with UEFI:
    UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Now, back to cloning the disk. FYI, when perform cloning, the disk capacity of the destination disk must be equal or larger in size. Is your destination disk larger than the source disk ?
    Thank you mate and yes destination drive is bigger than the source drive.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 backup settings?
Hello, quick question, Does windows 10 backups settings like theme, mail and other settings as windows 8.1 onedrive did? You basically set up a new computer and sign into onedrive and it pulled all your settings onto your new computer. Does...
Backup and Restore
Backup fails with "check your backup"
Surface 3 128GB with 128GB microSD card External empty 3TB WD hard drive formatted as NTFS Configured backup to backup both the internal SSD and the microSD card, total used about 100GB. Backup repeatedly fails with: Check your backup The...
Backup and Restore
Microsoft announces Backup of Windows 10 machines using Azure Backup
Windows 10 client machines can now be backed up seamlessly to cloud by Azure Backup service. Customers with machines running Windows 10 (64-bit) operating systems can protect their important file-folder data to Azure in a secure manner and restore...
Backup and Restore
Backup - removed folders to backup keep coming back
I'm setting up a file backup on Win 10 Pro. Under the backup settings there is the "Back up these folders" section. I have a total of five folders I want to backup so I keep removing all the folders that Windows adds by default and leave the five...
Backup and Restore
Size of backup file using Windows Backup
I have an HP a6547c desktop that has gone from Vista to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. Attached is a Western Digital 1TB external hard drive that was wiped clean. I started the Windows Backup program (worried at first when it said Backup...
Backup and Restore
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums