Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,767
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #11

    From partition wizard. Right click on G drive->Explore to see if you have any hidden system files in it. In addition, Open Disk Management to see if drive G: is marked as "Active"
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #12

    Hi,

    If I may make a suggestion, launch Macrium Reflect and make a backup of drive G: and store that backup on drive D:.

    When that's done start an elevated dos prompt and type diskpart followed by enter.
    List disk > enter.
    Select the drive you just backed up : Select Disk followed by the corresponding drive number > enter.
    Make sure it's the correct drive number.

    Then run :

    Clean > Enter.

    The disk will now be empty.

    Exit diskpart by typing exit, exit the dos prompt by retyping exit followed by enter for both commands.

    Now you can prepare the drive any way that suits you, just make sure you have at least one partition large enough to restore the backup file to it.

    Run Windows Backup to build the system image you want. It should run fine and has no reason to include the G: drive.

    You can then restore the image from drive D: to G:

    Cheers,
      My Computers

  3. Ocman76's Avatar
    Posts : 85
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Here are the contents:
    Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup-untitled.png

    The drive is not marked as active:
    Windows 10 wrongly labels my secondary HDD as "System" in backup-untitled2.png
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #14

    Hi,

    Assuming nothing important is in the Recycle Bin, you could empty that.

    But what are alle these $$Pending files about that are there for over more than a year if I may ask ?

    Cheers,
      My Computers

  5. topgundcp's Avatar
    Posts : 2,767
    Linux Mint 20.1 Win10Prox64
       #15

    Did you by any chance move ProgramData/Programs Files folders from your Windows OS to this drive ?. What I saw there is you have 2 folder called: Program Data + Files and Other Programs. According to this link:
    http://earthwithsun.com/questions/52...f-pendingfiles
    You have a folder $$pendingfiles. This might be the cause.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #16

    Hi,

    What I saw there is you have 2 folder called: Program Data + Files and Other Programs
    Looks as if Link Shell Extension was used (or similar tool). Probably under Win 7.

    That explains why Windows Backup wants to include it into the backup job if this WIN10 install is an upgrade install.

    Excellent find BTW, topgundcp.

    Cheers,
      My Computers

  7. Ocman76's Avatar
    Posts : 85
    Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #17

    fdegrove said:
    Looks as if Link Shell Extension was used (or similar tool). Probably under Win 7. That explains why Windows Backup wants to include it into the backup job if this WIN10 install is an upgrade install.
    I am now quite confused. I did have windows 7 previously and did an upgrade install to window 10. However I have no idea what "Link Shell Extension" is and as far as I know I have never moved any programs from my main OS drive to my secondary HDD. When I had windows 7 I installed a lot of programs on my secondary HDD but have never moved anything there from another drive with the exception of the storage of windows live mail emails.

    What does this all mean? How do I get windows to unrecognize my drive as "System"? I just tried removing the $$pendingfiles and rebooting but it didn't change anything.
      My Computer

  8. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       #18

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    If I may make a suggestion, launch Macrium Reflect and make a backup of drive G: and store that backup on drive D:.

    When that's done start an elevated dos prompt and type diskpart followed by enter.
    List disk > enter.
    Select the drive you just backed up : Select Disk followed by the corresponding drive number > enter.
    Make sure it's the correct drive number.

    Then run :

    Clean > Enter.

    The disk will now be empty.

    Exit diskpart by typing exit, exit the dos prompt by retyping exit followed by enter for both commands.

    Now you can prepare the drive any way that suits you, just make sure you have at least one partition large enough to restore the backup file to it.

    Run Windows Backup to build the system image you want. It should run fine and has no reason to include the G: drive.

    You can then restore the image from drive D: to G:

    Cheers,
    Ummm.... if the first step is going to be to use Macrium Reflect - why not just use Macrium Reflect to make the system image with and save all those subsequent steps?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,764
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #19

    Hi,

    Because, as I understand it, TS wants to use Windows Backup as his primary backup tool.

    However I have no idea what "Link Shell Extension" is and as far as I know I have never moved any programs from my main OS drive to my secondary HDD. When I had windows 7 I installed a lot of programs on my secondary HDD but have never moved anything there from another drive with the exception of the storage of windows live mail emails.
    Not saying that's what it is but it sure looks like it and explains your problem too.

    Here's an explanation of what hardlinking is:

    http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...l#introduction

    The shell extension is just something to ease the entire process.

    Cheers,
      My Computers

  10. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       #20

    fdegrove said:
    Hi,

    Because, as I understand it, TS wants to use Windows Backup as his primary backup tool.
    Hmmm....well if you have to use a second backup tool to make the first backup tool work.....seems kind of pointless to me....but I'm a KISS type of guy myself, Keep It Simple...
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:10.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums