Scheduling System Restore Point Creation

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,913
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #11

    As Halasz said earlier:
    You can schedule them through task scheduler as described in method 2 here System Restore Point : Create at System Startup - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Schedule a neat little script to run.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #12

    I have tried to precisely follow the instructions set out in System Restore Point : Create at System Startup - Windows 7 Help Forums, but the Task Scheduler / script is failing to create a restore point:
    • Running the script manually creates a Restore Point.
    • Task Scheduler appears to run the script, but no Restore Point results.

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-1.jpg
    (The Last Run Result code 0x41301 indicates "The task is already running".)

    The Task Scheduler settings are as follows:
    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-2.jpg

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-3.jpg

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-4.jpg

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-5.jpg

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-6.jpg

    I would be grateful for any suggestions as to why the restore points are not being created.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-2015_11_09_13_18_521.png  
      My Computer

  3. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,913
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #13

    Hi, not sure- not had a problem with this.
    Do you have UAC on? If so, try with it switched off.
    Does the name of your vbs script match with what is in your schedule?
    You say running the vbs manually creates a restore point - I assume you mean by d clicking the vbs file.
    Have you tried running the scheduled task manually? (Not 100% clear you have from above). (rt click scheduled task name, run)

    Desperation:
    Try inserting a dummy entry in the scheduled task Action - say Wordpad.exe and try running the scheduled task manually.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #14

    Hi. Thank you for the response.
    dalchina said:
    Do you have UAC on? If so, try with it switched off.
    Yes.

    dalchina said:
    Does the name of your vbs script match with what is in your schedule?
    Yes. (I browsed to it.)

    dalchina said:
    You say running the vbs manually creates a restore point - I assume you mean by d clicking the vbs file.
    Yes.

    dalchina said:
    Have you tried running the scheduled task manually? (Not 100% clear you have from above). (rt click scheduled task name, run)
    Yes. The task "runs", but no restore point is created (ie. identical result to the scheduled run).

    dalchina said:
    Try inserting a dummy entry in the scheduled task Action - say Wordpad.exe and try running the scheduled task manually.
    I've tried this. Wordpad appears under Task Manager, but does not open a window.
      My Computer

  5. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,913
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #15

    Hi, that's strange. I've just set up a basic task launching wordpad.exe, and a normal window appears.
    If you can find another scheduled task you can run manually and then see the result, try it..
    Noted your task is not being run hidden.

    Here are my schedule settings.
    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-snap-2015-11-09-17.47.57.jpgScheduling System Restore Point Creation-snap-2015-11-09-17.48.12.jpgScheduling System Restore Point Creation-snap-2015-11-09-17.49.18.jpgScheduling System Restore Point Creation-snap-2015-11-09-17.49.31.jpg
      My Computers

  6. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #16

    Ubtree said:
    I've tried this. Wordpad appears under Task Manager, but does not open a window.
    .
    dalchina said:
    Hi, that's strange. I've just set up a basic task launching wordpad.exe, and a normal window appears.
    The difference is the "run whether user is logged on or not" setting. This means it will not open a window but run task as a service. That being so both are acting correctly (for wordpad).

    Don't know why the script wouldn't work from task scheduler. You unblocked it right?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #17

    Thank you for the postings, dalchina and halasz.
    halasz said:
    Don't know why the script wouldn't work from task scheduler. You unblocked it right?
    Yes, I did unblock it.

    halasz said:
    .The difference is the "run whether user is logged on or not" setting. This means it will not open a window but run task as a service. That being so both are acting correctly (for wordpad).
    I hadn't realised that "run whether user is logged on or not" setting would cause the program to runs as service, and not open a window. I've therefore changed the setting for both Wordpad and the script. Wordpad now opens, but when Task Scheduler tries to run the script, the message "How do you want to open this file?" appears. Is the problem that Task Scheduler, on my PC, doesn't know how to run a script?
      My Computer

  8. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #18

    What do you get if you right click on the script and select open with? Something like this?

    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-untitled.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 43
    Windows 10
       #19

    halasz said:
    What do you get if you right click on the script and select open with? Something like this?
    No, there is no default program, and Microsoft Windows Based Script Host does not appear.
    Is wscript.exe the program for Microsoft Windows Based Script Host? I've searched the Windows volume, and the program appears in 2 different folders:
    Scheduling System Restore Point Creation-7.jpg

    Is this something that I need to install?
      My Computer

  10. lx07's Avatar
    Posts : 5,479
    2004
       #20

    You shouldn't have to install it as far as I know. I also have it in System32 and SysWOW64 directories.

    As a workaround you could make a batch file Something.bat and put the line cscript /nologo C:\Path\to\file.vbs (assuming you have cscript.exe) and schedule that instead.

    Why wscript is not there is another matter. You could try sfc /scannow and see if it replaces it. Otherwise you may have to do a repair install.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:21.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums