Suggestion for a restore manager?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #11

    dalchina said:
    Please define what it is you are trying to do.
    Here is what I'm hoping to be able to simply do.

    To test an upgrade or new software I manually quickly create restore points A, B, C, and finally D at different points of the review. Restore point B may have been created one hour after restore A, and C may have been created 5 minutes after restore point B was created...

    Upon finish reviewing and testing what I wanted to do with the four new installations I just did, I decide to delete restore points A and C, and keep restore points B and D. My question is how do I delete restore points A and C; and, all other restore points that were automatically created by Windows before I manually created the first restore A?

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    ...Whereas restoring an image also reverts user data on partiitons restored.
    Exactly. Plus they are not as easy to document or comment compared to System Restores.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Steve C said:
    CCleaner can be used to manage restore points
    Thank you. I need to check this out.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 43,290
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #12

    Please see the last suggest I posted regarding deletion. Ccleaner is an annoying piece of software.
    Rather than deleting restore points manually wouldn't it be simpler to allocate more space for them and let Windows manage them.

    (PS - helps to define your question clearly at the start).
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 4,668
    several
       #13

    bofhlusr said:
    I downloaded and reviewed some. Can't really get my head around it. Even the name sounds confusing? Looks like backup software which I already have (I use Macrium). I'm looking for something simpler. Thank you though.
    you didnt look very hard. zvsscopy manages shadow copies and is very simple.


    under the Settings Tab can set the amount of space for shadow copies

    Suggestion for a restore manager?-z-vsscopy-settings.jpg

    under the Shadow copies Tab can create, explore , mount or delete


    Suggestion for a restore manager?-zvss-1.jpg
    Last edited by SIW2; 25 Apr 2023 at 06:43.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #14

    SIW2 said:
    you didnt look very hard. zvsscopy manages shadow copies and is very simple.


    under the Settings Tab can set the amount of space for shadow copies

    Suggestion for a restore manager?-z-vsscopy-settings.jpg

    under the Shadow copies Tab can create, explore , mount or delete


    Suggestion for a restore manager?-zvss-1.jpg
    Sorry. But are 'shadow copies' the same as System Restore points? If it's the same thing, naming System Restore points 'shadow copies' is a good example of why it is not simple.

    If it's not the same thing, then I'm not interested in it because all I'm interested in are 'System Restore' points.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 4,668
    several
       #15

    You can think of them as the same thing.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #16

    dalchina said:
    Rather than deleting restore points manually wouldn't it be simpler to allocate more space for them and let Windows manage them.
    The problem with having Windows manage them is Windows automatically creates and deletes system restore points automatically. This is the problem. Just like Windows automatic updates. Microsoft 'fixes something that is not broken' (for my particular situation) which is a true-ism in IT. Personally, automatic updates oftentimes only benefit the vendor because it makes it simple for them to support a large customer base when they are all using the same updated version.

    - - - Updated - - -

    SIW2 said:
    You can think of them as the same thing.
    Yes, I suppose so. But I like to keep things simpler.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,041
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #17

    bofhlusr said:
    Windows automatically ... deletes system restore points automatically
    Windows deletes Restore points when
    - the allocated space is needed for new Restore points, and
    - a Restore point is no longer valid for restoration.


    I never found them reliable and I place my trust in system images instead.
    - I keep my own files on different disks/partitions so that they are not overwritten by system image restorations.
    - I write any comments I want to make about any given system image either in a list on my computer or in a text file that I put in the same folder as the system image concerned.


    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Try3 said:
    Windows deletes Restore points when
    - the allocated space is needed for new Restore points, and
    - a Restore point is no longer valid for restoration.


    I never found them reliable and I place my trust in system images instead.
    - I keep my own files on different disks/partitions so that they are not overwritten by system image restorations.
    - I write any comments I want to make about any given system image either in a list on my computer or in a text file that I put in the same folder as the system image concerned.


    All the best,
    Denis
    I also keep notes and *.jpgs for my backups too (for full, differential and incremental backups). For full backups I do a screen cap of results from Device Manager, sfc /scannow, desktop, etc.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 17,041
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #19

    bofhlusr said:
    I also keep notes and *.jpgs for my backups too (for full, differential and incremental backups). For full backups I do a screen cap of results from Device Manager, sfc /scannow, desktop, etc.
    Your earlier comment
    bofhlusr said:
    ... Plus they are not as easy to document or comment compared to System Restores. ...
    made me think you had difficulty doing so.


    Denis
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 222
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Try3 said:
    Your earlier comment

    made me think you had difficulty doing so.


    Denis
    Instead of 'easy' maybe I should have used the words 'convenient' or 'quick'.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums