Factory Reset....Some Questions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 4,578
    several
       #11

    what is the make and model of the machine ?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Lenovo Ideapad 100S......got no sound, no battery icon, plus keyboard and cursor won't work.......EDIT....I can appreciate that the keyboard may not be functioning, the cursor works using an external mouse, but just wonder why there is no battery icon, and no sound......it says something like "no audio device is installed"......
    Last edited by Del 80; 01 Apr 2023 at 06:30.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 1,065
    windows 10
       #13

    Hello,

    Is this the continuity of your problem with ideapad?

    I looked with your reference "Lenovo Ideapad 100S" why it did not boot from a windows installation usb.
    If it's a "lenovo ideapad 100s 11IBY" then the bios is a 32bit uefi bios. English Community-Lenovo Community

    You must surely make an installation medium with the Microsoft creation tool but during the creation procedure you only choose the 32bit version of windows. The usb installation media should start this time, but I'm not sure. It's the same for linux, if there are only 64bit distributions you can't boot from the usb and install them, you need a 32bit distribution.

    Edit: Installation guide and for the keyboard and mouse problem. How to Boot your Lenovo Ideapad 100s 11IBY from a USB UEFI Flashdrive – Everything is a Miracle

    Look in the bios if your ideapad 100s is 11IBY.

    Edit 2: To find the 11IBY if the laptop has a label underneath or something. Also under windows in settings > system, see if you see it, and also see what is the architecture of windows 32bit or 64bit.
    Last edited by itsme1; 01 Apr 2023 at 08:13.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 42,974
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #14

    Del 80 said:
    Mmmhhh......not very well up on such matters I'm afraid......so a Factory Reset IS a clean install ?........
    Post #4 - did you not see this?
    - a factory reset would restore your PC to as bought. E.g. if it was bought with Win 8, Win 8 will be reinstalled, together with any trialware provided.


    You do either a factory reset (which takes you BACK in time to an old build etc)

    OR

    You do a clean install - which can give you the latest current build- (or an older one should you so choose).

    BOTH delete ALL your accounts and data on C:


    Windows 10 reset options are different to both of those- see the tutorial.
    Reset Windows 10
    (I searched the Tutorials section for
    reset Win 10
    for you).
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 16,941
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #15

    Del,

    Del 80 said:
    presumably performing a Factory Reset, on a laptop running W10, will wipe everything from it ?
    Yes.

    Del 80 said:
    after doing the said Factory Reset, can I then install an operating system, from a USB drive ?
    Yes, just as you could do now even without the factory restore. The factory restore is entirely irrelevant to the issue of installing an OS.

    Del 80 said:
    I mean will all the correct drivers and things needed to run the OS be loaded ?
    Yes.

    Del 80 said:
    never done this before
    Why do you want to do this now?

    Del 80 said:
    any advice welcomed.
    Don't do it.


    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #16

    itsme1 said:
    Hello,

    Is this the continuity of your problem with ideapad?

    I looked with your reference "Lenovo Ideapad 100S" why it did not boot from a windows installation usb.
    If it's a "lenovo ideapad 100s 11IBY" then the bios is a 32bit uefi bios. English Community-Lenovo Community

    You must surely make an installation medium with the Microsoft creation tool but during the creation procedure you only choose the 32bit version of windows. The usb installation media should start this time, but I'm not sure. It's the same for linux, if there are only 64bit distributions you can't boot from the usb and install them, you need a 32bit distribution.

    Edit: Installation guide and for the keyboard and mouse problem. How to Boot your Lenovo Ideapad 100s 11IBY from a USB UEFI Flashdrive – Everything is a Miracle

    Look in the bios if your ideapad 100s is 11IBY.

    Edit 2: To find the 11IBY if the laptop has a label underneath or something. Also under windows in settings > system, see if you see it, and also see what is the architecture of windows 32bit or 64bit.
    Yes, it is a 100s 11IBY.......32 bit......the USB stick was created using 32bit.......

    - - - Updated - - -

    O.k.....so if I do a clean install, using the USB flash drive that contains a W10 32bit OS, will it install ALL the correct drivers for this Lenovo machine ?......I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth bothering with...
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,065
    windows 10
       #17

    Del 80 said:
    Yes, it is a 100s 11IBY.......32 bit......the USB stick was created using 32bit.......

    - - - Updated - - -

    O.k.....so if I do a clean install, using the USB flash drive that contains a W10 32bit OS, will it install ALL the correct drivers for this Lenovo machine ?......I'm beginning to wonder if it's worth bothering with...
    Yes it will install all the drivers and windows update after doing a search will install the rest of the drivers.


    Did you create it with Microsoft tool or rufus?
    Is it only 32bit or is it both 32bit and 64bit? It only needs 32bits.

    In a link that I indicated in my previous post, at the boot menu when you have selected the usb there will be a black screen you have to wait a bit for the installation to start.

    If it doesn't work, do a Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade, it's better than a windows reset, it's close to a clean install. During the procedure at step "choose what you keep" choose "nothing": Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade



    At the end of the Repair Install of Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade if you have no keyboard and mouse in one of my previous links there is the solution, you do it with the external mouse (no need for an external keyboard) . Before doing the solution for keyboard and mouse, at the end of the procedure, do a search for windows update, it may install the non-optional drivers missing for the keyboard and mouse. And install all windows update except optional drivers.

    edit: If at the end of everything you are missing drivers, you go to the page of your laptop, do not choose the OS for the drivers, it's ridiculous there will only be one driver for windows 10 (32 bit). Do not pay attention to other os indicated windows 10 64 bit or 11, the latest bios of 2018 gives support for windows 10 (32 bit).

    For example in the drivers you have this:
    Intel Platform Driver (VGA, Audio, TEXI, Camera, Bay-Tail) for Windows 10 (32-bit) - ideapad 100S-11IBY

    Edit 2: I was busy in front of my laptop at the end I did a search for your problem. You are not the only one who cannot do a clean install of windows 10 on this computer, it cannot boot from a windows usb even a 32 bit. In this thread I found a solution:
    English Community-Lenovo Community

    solution English Community-Lenovo Community :

    "2022-10-07 21:18:22
    Re:Ideapad 100s - Win10 clean installation on ideapad (& WIMBoot?)
    I created an account on this site on purpose, because what I got tired of installing the system on this crap, I will tell my grandchildren.

    My disk was replaced, even acronis can not clone it because there is some unusual partitions.
    After replacing with SSD i dont have any recovery partitions etc... so:

    Procedure:

    1. Move to bios with this special stick (put the needle in the hole to access the bios)
    2. Set factory settings - BIOS only! Do not delete the windows code data.
    3. Download windows_media_creation_tool from the official Microsoft website
    4. Download the YUMI pendrive creator
    (Yumi is the only-one that actually works!!)
    5. Run media creation tool and download Windows 10/11 - check option "download ISO" - do not create bootable media! it won't work
    6. After downloading Windows, run YUMI and prepare bootable media / choose disk, choose system version (windows is available on the list)
    7. Run installation - if you have new disk it should work even without access to boot menu

    Enjoy!"

    If you do this solution, do not delete lenovo's recovery partitions on its hdd/SSD during the clean install procedure.
    You will have 3 choices to install windows 10, the lenovo factory reset (but as a start it may be windows 8 or 7), the In-place Upgrade and this solution above.
    Last edited by itsme1; 01 Apr 2023 at 12:29.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    Well, re-install done......still no keyboard, cursor. battery icon or sound.....work in progress......
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,065
    windows 10
       #19

    Del 80 said:
    Well, re-install done......still no keyboard, cursor. battery icon or sound.....work in progress......
    Ok. I edited my previous message for later...edit 2
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 356
    Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Mmmhhh......it might be a dumb question, but IF the keyboard drivers are not there, will an external keyboard work ?.....I can't now get the on screen keyboard to work, so can't get in to the device manager.......EDIT.....o.k, now got on screen keyboard working, in device manager I can't see anything relating to Audio, or Keyboard devices.......
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums