weird problem with Acronis back up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 33,659
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #11

    Post #7...
      My Computers

  2. CeriseR's Avatar
    Posts : 41
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Try3 said:
    CeriseR,

    Since you are going to have to change [in the light of what SIW2 has discovered], take a look at the choices available. Many are listed towards the end of my ditty - File backup vs imaging, imaging utilities, backing up drivers [post #3] - TenForums

    I've been using the free Acronis TI versions provided by Samsung-Seagate & WD for a decade and I have no complaints.

    Best of luck,
    Denis
    I purchased a Western digital some years ago, I chose a format from their options then tried to do an acronis back up on it and received a message I had chose the wrong format to do an acronis back up, my earlier WD would let me both drop a copy of a file to it and do the acronis image back up
    I spent a few weeks trying to understand what I had wrong and then... gave up

    since acronis back up was an option mentioned, does that mean I should not have used the software on my win 7 computer to do the back up?

    I'm confused
      My Computer

  3. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,684
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1348
       #13

    CeriseR said:
    your various comments written within the quote
    1 No, I asked about the type of drive. SIW2 worked it out anyway.
    3 The user manual tells you how.
    5 I just used the url and successfully downloaded a copy.TrueImage11_ug.en.zip
    I do not know what any of your later comments mean.

    CeriseR said:
    maybe, like quicken, the question is, is Acronis true image back up the best in 2021?
    Such questions invariably fail to lead to robust answers.
    I suggest you use the list I provided in post #9 and decide which are satisfactory for your purposes.

    CeriseR said:
    I purchased a Western digital some years ago, I chose a format from their options then tried to do an acronis back up on it and received a message I had chose the wrong format to do an acronis back up, my earlier WD would let me both drop a copy of a file to it and do the acronis image back up
    I spent a few weeks trying to understand what I had wrong and then... gave up
    since acronis back up was an option mentioned, does that mean I should not have used the software on my win 7 computer to do the back up?
    I don' know what you did or what you are asking.
    Generic Acronis TI instructions:-
    Open the application, select Backup,
    Click on Select source, select the disks-partitions you want to image,
    Click on Select destination, browse to the folder you want to save the image to,
    Click on Backup now.


    Denis
      My Computer

  4. CeriseR's Avatar
    Posts : 41
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #14

    and, I have no problem with buying a newer version

    if that is the problem.... but no point if something else is a problem

    curious though, I thought I could go into the image back up and find something that disappeared from an older computer, it seems I could not do that, I can only restore the entire "image"

    not find one file?
      My Computer

  5. Try3's Avatar
    Posts : 9,684
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1348
       #15

    CeriseR said:
    and, I have no problem with buying a newer version

    if that is the problem.... but no point if something else is a problem

    curious though, I thought I could go into the image back up and find something that disappeared from an older computer, it seems I could not do that, I can only restore the entire "image"

    not find one file?
    Perhaps you meant to post this in your thread at www.tenforums.com/showthread.php?t=188058?

    If you mean an Acronis image then you can definitely rummage around to extract individual files & folders. I imagine that is true for most or possibly all imaging utilities.

    Denis
      My Computer

  6. CeriseR's Avatar
    Posts : 41
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #16

    SIW2 said:
    Bios is a familiar word, I really don't understand what it means
    I searched "what is an EFI based operating system" and found discussions, completely over my understanding
    """The Unified EFI (UEFI) Specification (previously known as the EFI Specification) defines an interface between an operating system and platform firmware. The interface consists of data tables that contain platform-related information, boot service calls, and runtime service calls that are available to the operating system and its loader"""

    5684: EFI-based operating systems support in Acronis products

    Acronis Cyber Backup 12.5
    Acronis Backup 12

    so, a newer version will work with win10


    will it work with my WD external drives and, will they work if I need to restore the image backed up?
      My Computer


  7. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,359
    trying to install win10
       #17

    so, a newer version will work with win10
    Not exactly.

    You need a newer version because you are using efi boot.Not because it is win10.

    I you were efi booting win7 you would also need the newer acronis version.
      My Computer

  8. CeriseR's Avatar
    Posts : 41
    win 10
    Thread Starter
       #18

    SIW2 said:
    Not exactly.

    You need a newer version because you are using efi boot.Not because it is win10.

    I you were efi booting win7 you would also need the newer acronis version.
    efi boot came with my Powerspec, not with windows?
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums