Macrium Reflect restore issue / question...?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,366
    trying to install win10
       #21

    Better let a regular macrium user like Bree answer.
      My Computer

  2. Darkstrike's Avatar
    Posts : 257
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #22

    OK, thanks for your help so far.
    @Bree - apparently the Macrium Rescue USB can't see the drives in the computer, only my external drive....is there a way to load drivers to see the drives from the Macrium Rescue USB?
      My Computers

  3. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,366
    trying to install win10
       #23

    I suggest you add them in with dism++ as I posted earler. You want to mount the bootable image , which will be image 1 in macriums boot.wim

    There might be a way to it from within the macrium winpe, but you would have to do it every time. F6 ing is not persistent. Better to put them in with dism++
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 21,888
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #24

    Darkstrike said:
    OK, thanks for your help so far.
    @Bree - apparently the Macrium Rescue USB can't see the drives in the computer, only my external drive....is there a way to load drivers to see the drives from the Macrium Rescue USB?

    You have a choice when building Macrium rescue media of using WinRE or WinPE. The default is to use WinRE because it can get this from your installed Windows, to build WinPE you need an additional download from Microsoft.

    Macrium Rescue Media Builder - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    you want to the rescue media at the time you build it.

    About Adding Drivers to WinPE Rescue Media - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
    Updating rescue media to include additional hardware drivers - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase
      My Computers

  5. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,366
    trying to install win10
       #25

    Why bother downloading all that and rebuilding the whole thing?

    Much quicker and easier to pop the drivers into the macrium media he already has.
      My Computer

  6. Darkstrike's Avatar
    Posts : 257
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #26

    Bree said:
    You have a choice when building Macrium rescue media of using WinRE or WinPE. The default is to use WinRE because it can get this from your installed Windows, to use WinPE you need an additional download from Microsoft.

    Macrium Rescue Media Builder - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase





    If you build the WinPE version you can permanently add any drivers you want to the rescue media at the time you build it.

    About Adding Drivers to WinPE Rescue Media - Knowledgebase 8.0 - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

    OK - I added the disk drivers to the Macrium Rescue USB using DISM++ so I am now booted into the Macrium Rescue USB and it can see the hard drives. I have the external HDD with the image on it plugged in.

    - - - Updated - - -

    SIW2 said:
    Why bother downloading all that and rebuilding the whole thing?

    Much quicker and easier to pop the drivers into the macrium media he already has.

    Did this! :)

    Now setting on the booted Rescue USB and ready to try and get the partition restored!

    So, guessing I go to 'Browse for an image to restore', then choose the disk I want to restore to (i.e. the 256GB NVME drive with my fresh Win10 install?

    Do I just delete the C: partition on that disk and then drag the C: partition from the Restore image...?
      My Computers


  7. SIW2's Avatar
    Posts : 2,366
    trying to install win10
       #27

    Another way is to create folder called Drivers on your desktop.

    Inside the Drivers folder create another folder called Disk

    Copy the irst drivers into the Drivers\Disk folder you just made

    Then add that folder struture you just created to the macrium boot.wim using 7-zip.

    Macrium Reflect restore issue / question...?-macrium-drivers-folder.jpg

    Macrium Reflect restore issue / question...?-macrium-drivers-folder2.jpg


    Then when you boot the macrium media you will see it adding the drivers from the folder. But it does that every time.

    Much better to integrate them properly which you have done now with dism++
      My Computer

  8. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 21,888
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #28

    Darkstrike said:
    So, guessing I go to 'Browse for an image to restore', then choose the disk I want to restore to (i.e. the 256GB NVME drive with my fresh Win10 install?
    Do I just delete the C: partition on that disk and then drag the C: partition from the Restore image...?
    Basically, yes. You can select the C: partition on the destination disk within Reflect and delete it. Then drag the C: partition from the image and drop it into the free space you created on the destination disk. Provided the used space in the image's C: partition is less than the free space on the destination then Macrium can resize the partition to fit.

    When the C: partition has been restored, select 'Fix Windows boot problems' from the restore menu before restarting the PC.
      My Computers

  9. Darkstrike's Avatar
    Posts : 257
    Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #29

    Bree said:
    Basically, yes. You can select the C: partition on the destination disk within Reflect and delete it. Then drag the C: partition from the image and drop it into the free space you created. Provides the used space in the image's C: partition is less than the free space on the destination then Macrium can resize the partition to fit.

    When the C: partition has been restored, select 'Fix Windows boot problems' from the restore menu before restarting the PC.
    Just tried this as you were writing your post and it tells me the Macrium restore image on my external drive is corrupt 0_o

    I could swear I had Macrium set to verify it when the image was made? Why didn't it tell me it was corrupt?

    At any rate...I started the other older laptop imaging the hard drive AGAIN, but that's going to take ANOTHER 1.5 hours, so I guess I will report back then when I try again
      My Computers

  10. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 21,888
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #30

    Darkstrike said:
    At any rate...I started the other older laptop imaging the hard drive AGAIN, but that's going to take ANOTHER 1.5 hours, so I guess I will report back then when I try again

    You did say in the first post that "I created an image from a friend's dying older laptop". How did you create that image? Did you run Reflect that was installed on that PC?


    Now that you have a bootable USB you can boot for it to make an image of a PC as well as to restore to one. If the PC is 'dying' it may be safer to use the bootable Macrium rescue USB to make the image.
      My Computers


 
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:55.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums