Can Macrium Reflect "miss" a scheduled backup?


  1. Posts : 118
    Windows 10 Pro
       #1

    Can Macrium Reflect "miss" a scheduled backup?


    I am using one of the "canned" backup definitions:

    Full backup at 9 AM on the first Monday of every month
    Differential backup at 9 AM every Monday of every week
    Incremental backup at 9 AM every Monday...Sunday

    The last full backup should have been done on Monday April 4, but I don't see any backup for that date in my Macrium System Images folder. I probably didn't turn on my PC that day.

    My first question is this: If a scheduled backup cannot be performed on the scheduled date, is the backup skipped? Or is it simply deferred until the next opportunity arises? If it is skipped, then I suppose the only solution is to run the backup manually.

    My second question: if a full backup is skipped, how do you tell Macrium to run a full backup? I have been depending on automatic updates for so long that I forgot the basics. Looking at the interface, however, there doesn't seem to be a straightforward way to just run a full backup right now.

    Windows 10.0.19042
    Macrium Reflect Home Edition (licensed) v7.3.5758
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 34
    WIndows 10
       #2

    There is a setting under each schedule in your definition (if you use EDIT to change it) called "Conditions." if none of the options are selected, the schedule will do as you describe. You need to use the option that allows a missed scheduled backup to run ASAP after the computer is running again.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 118
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #3

    FroggyTheGremli said:
    There is a setting under each schedule in your definition (if you use EDIT to change it) called "Conditions." if none of the options are selected, the schedule will do as you describe. You need to use the option that allows a missed scheduled backup to run ASAP after the computer is running again.
    In Add/Edit Schedules, I select Full, then click Conditions... The first box was already checked ("Run task as soon as possible after a scheduled start is missed"). So the question is: why didn't the full backup run the next day?

    My second question is: How do I get a full backup to run right now? It has always puzzled me that when you create backup definition (which tells Macrium exactly what you want it to do), and then Run the definition, Macrium asks what kind of backup you want: Full, differential, or incremental. If I select Full, will it confuse the schedule? Will the next full backup be done on the first Monday of next month?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #4

    I would not exclude the possibility.

    My so-called "retention schedule" has not been honored in the recent past.

    It had been set to keep only the 2 most recent images and did so for 2 or 3 years.

    Out of the blue, I noticed that the oldest image was NOT being deleted...I was left with 3 images and had to manually delete the oldest.

    Within the last month, that has gone away and the retention schedule has again been honored.

    I have no explanation.

    Stay on your toes.

    Yet another reason NOT to be lulled into complacency by "automatic" anything.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #5

    perkinw said:

    My second question is: How do I get a full backup to run right now? It has always puzzled me that when you create backup definition (which tells Macrium exactly what you want it to do), and then Run the definition, Macrium asks what kind of backup you want: Full, differential, or incremental. If I select Full, will it confuse the schedule? Will the next full backup be done on the first Monday of next month?


    Worst case scenario: if you want to run a full backup now, do it manually by walking through each of the 4 or 5 Macrium screens. That's what I have done traditionally....rather than relying on the XML. Takes about 30 seconds and maybe 7 mouse clicks.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 118
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #6

    ignatzatsonic said:
    if you want to run a full backup now, do it manually by walking through each of the 4 or 5 Macrium screens.
    Yes, I walk through those four or five screens and I don't change anything. On the last screen, I click Finish. Then Macrium asks me what kind of backup I want to run, and I choose Full. Now it will run the full backup, applying the retention rules (etc.) in the backup definition -- which haven't changed. Is that right?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #7

    perkinw said:
    Yes, I walk through those four or five screens and I don't change anything. On the last screen, I click Finish. Then Macrium asks me what kind of backup I want to run, and I choose Full. Now it will run the full backup, applying the retention rules (etc.) in the backup definition -- which haven't changed. Is that right?
    I am NOT asked if I want Full......because I never ever use incrementals or differentials and they are not checkboxed anywhere.

    So, I can only guess.

    My guess would be that you are right. That you would then get a full backup.

    I would try to check if your retention rules were honored....by looking over the properties, dates, names, and sizes of whatever files land in your destination folder.

    I would NOT assume anything. Learn by experimentation and "trial and error" and be prepared for surprises.

    I try to keep things as simple as possible. I use Full images only and do NOT use scheduling at all. Strictly manual on demand. I say "frog" and I expect Macrium to jump. It doesn't always jump in the expected manner. Thus caution and maybe less reliance on automatic.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 118
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ignatzatsonic said:
    I am NOT asked if I want Full......because I never ever use incrementals or differentials and they are not checkboxed anywhere.

    So, I can only guess.

    My guess would be that you are right. That you would then get a full backup.

    I would try to check if your retention rules were honored....by looking over the properties, dates, names, and sizes of whatever files land in your destination folder.

    I would NOT assume anything. Learn by experimentation and "trial and error" and be prepared for surprises.

    I try to keep things as simple as possible. I use Full images only and do NOT use scheduling at all. Strictly manual on demand. I say "frog" and I expect Macrium to jump. It doesn't always jump in the expected manner. Thus caution and maybe less reliance on automatic.
    That's good -- if you can remember to do it.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #9

    perkinw said:
    That's good -- if you can remember to do it.
    My Windows system (C partition) changes only gradually. I make a new image only when I am about to make a change via Windows Update. That is roughly once a month. I have Windows Update under some degree of control and it doesn't "automatically" do anything.

    New image, then Windows Update, then restore that new image if the Windows Update starts giving me major headaches.

    My data changes many times per hour and is constantly being backed up (several times a day), but I don't use Macrium for that.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 34
    WIndows 10
       #10

    You need to spend a bit more time with their documentation...

    If you go to your DEFINITIONS TAB and <right-click> on the definition you want to run, you'll see a "Run now" option... it's breakout will offer you any type of image you wish using that definition.

    ...and the "Prompt" offering offers you any of the imaging options along with the ability to COMMENT them.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums