File History Error 200 Every 2 Days?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 15
    Windows 10
       #1

    File History Error 200 Every 2 Days?


    I get the FH history error 200 every 2 to 3 days without fail which according to Event Viewer says this
    "Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\nixed\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"
    I fix it by stopping FH using my current drive but that often gets a 0x80070020 error which forces me to recover a old hard drive image backup. If not I am able to fix it by deleting the configuration files (which are in use if I can't stop windows using my current drive) and loose all my backups and have to start again. It's getting very frustrating loosing my backups without fail to the same error with no solution in sight. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64bit version 20H2. Any help would be hugely appreciated!
      My Computer

  2. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 905
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #2

    Which AV (anti virus) do you use?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    zebal said:
    Which AV (anti virus) do you use?
    Kaspersky
      My Computer

  4. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 905
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #4

    Please also update "My Computer":
    https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra

    - - - Updated - - -

    nixed said:
    Kaspersky
    Turn if off completely or uninstall, let us know if this works.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    zebal said:
    Please also update "My Computer":
    https://www.tenforums.com/profile.php?do=extra

    - - - Updated - - -



    Turn if off completely or uninstall, let us know if this works.
    Turned off Kaspersky, by copy and pasting my old FileHistory backup data folder. And stopping using my hard drive then making a new backup and selecting the old backup (which when I did it said it didn't contain a previous backup but it did). Everything was fine for a few minutes, even the orignal folders I chose to backup where displayed then it changed to the old folders and won't backup. In event viewer it says event ID 202:
    "Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"

    Clearly a configuration file is messed up, but the files where displaying in file history for a moment so I made an error somehow. Lord knows what though. :/
      My Computer

  6. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 905
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #6

    nixed said:
    Turned off Kaspersky, by copy and pasting my old FileHistory backup data folder. And stopping using my hard drive then making a new backup and selecting the old backup (which when I did it said it didn't contain a previous backup but it did).
    I'm not sure why you needed to copy anything, but if you're trying to set an old backup from previous OS installation then it may not work.

    After you uninstall Kaspersky you should reboot, then optionally stop using drive before copying anything and again start using it by specifying original backup that was used in current OS.

    copying your backup while file history is working may become corrupted.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    zebal said:
    I'm not sure why you needed to copy anything, but if you're trying to set an old backup from previous OS installation then it may not work.

    After you uninstall Kaspersky you should reboot, then optionally stop using drive before copying anything and again start using it by specifying original backup that was used in current OS.

    copying your backup while file history is working may become corrupted.
    Rebooted with Kaspersky turned off and not running, deleted old configuration file on C: drive before rebooting. (which I thought was only on the backup drive in my case a internal hard drive). It tried backing up but event log says the same error:
    "Unusual condition was encountered during scanning user libraries for changes and performing backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Home\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config"
    Something is clearly conflicting, despite me removing all old backups from the FileHistory folder. It does keep trying to backup though it just says size of backup: 0 bytes. and also "Your data is not yet backed up" in Backup under settings.
      My Computer

  8. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 905
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #8

    I would stop file history service like this:
    Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options link -> See advanced options link

    Here turn off file history service and restart computer.
    Then next time you boot, enable file history in setting app and select your backup folder which should be called "FileHistory" on your secondary drive.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 15
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    zebal said:
    I would stop file history service like this:
    Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> More options link -> See advanced options link

    Here turn off file history service and restart computer.
    Then next time you boot, enable file history in setting app and select your backup folder which should be called "FileHistory" on your secondary drive.
    Done it that way, seems to be working for now, hopefully it stays like this and doesn't glitch out in a few days. Thanks! I'll keep this post updated if anything goes wrong.
      My Computer

  10. zebal's Avatar
    Posts : 905
    Windows 10 Pro x64 20H2 (Build: 19042.867)
       #10

    keeping things simple
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums