can Reflect cause a booting problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 19041.1
       #1

    can Reflect cause a booting problem?


    Maybe it's just coincidence, because I've been having a lot of Win10 problems since being forced to upgrade to 19041.1 in March. But I'd just installed Macrium Reflect Free and then decided to reboot. I next saw for the first time ever a "stopcode", though I didn't have time to see the actual number. Then it did some things and said it would try a restore. After about a half hour of the spinner and "attempting to repair", it finally went on to boot up.

    I did a default install of Reflect, except I checked the box for Hyper-V, because my system does say it detects a virtualization. (Used in Android Studio for virtual phones.)

    Is there any chance Reflect caused the problem? Thanks.

    From SrtTrail.txt:
    ...
    Name: Bugcheck analysis
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 265 ms

    Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    Unknown Bugcheck: Bugcheck 5a. Parameters = 0x1, 0xffff8a8209e7dc60, 0xffffaf03674bb680, 0xffffffffc0000428.

    Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
    Time taken = 1494766 ms
    All other tests showed Error code = 0x0

    - - - Updated - - -

    Never mind, I think it was renaming System32/catroot that caused the bootup problems. Why rename catroot? To try to stop Cryptographic Service from hogging my HDD at every turn.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 38,354
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #2

    Please do not modify catroot.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 19041.1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    zbook said:
    Please do not modify catroot.
    Thanks. Yes, I found that out the hard way. But I'm getting stymied at every turn, day after day after day.

    Is it known that renaming catroot will have the specific effect of causing bootup problems? I can try yet another restart to see if it goes okay - but every such experiment eats up more than an hour.

    (Meanwhile, renaming catroot2 does help and apparently has no bad side effects.)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 38,354
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    Code:
    Press Windows Key + Xon the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    Disable the following services: Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer. Type each command then hit enter.
                               net stop wuauserv
    
                               net stop cryptSvc
    
                               net stop bits
    
                               net stop msiserver
    
    Proceed to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. Type each command then hit Enter.
                              ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    
                              ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    
    Restart each of the services we disabled earlier: Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer. Type each command then hit enter.
                            net start wuauserv
    
                            net start cryptSvc
    
                            net start bits
    
                            net start msiserver
    
    Exit the command prompt then restart your computer. Try starting the setup again
    How to Fix the Most Common Windows 10 Upgrade and Install Errors
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 19041.1
    Thread Starter
       #5

    zbook said:
    Code:
    Press Windows Key + Xon the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
    Disable the following services: Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer. Type each command then hit enter.
                               net stop wuauserv
    
                               net stop cryptSvc
    
                               net stop bits
    
                               net stop msiserver
    
    Proceed to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. Type each command then hit Enter.
                              ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    
                              ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
    
    Restart each of the services we disabled earlier: Windows Update Services, Cryptographic, BITS, and MSI Installer. Type each command then hit enter.
                            net start wuauserv
    
                            net start cryptSvc
    
                            net start bits
    
                            net start msiserver
    
    Exit the command prompt then restart your computer. Try starting the setup again
    How to Fix the Most Common Windows 10 Upgrade and Install Errors
    Thanks, but I've successfully renamed catroot2 many times. So far.

    It's my understanding (and experience) that stopping the crypto service is necessary, else catroot2 is in use and cannot be renamed. But if I simply use Task Manager to End Task on the Cryptographic Service, there is a short window of opportunity wherein catroot2 can be successfully renamed.


    As an example: every time I reboot and login, the main HDD will be in 100% use for over an hour, whilst the crypto service interferes with everything else - endlessly writing to logs in catroot2.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 38,354
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #6

    See:
    Download Reset Windows Update Tool - MajorGeeks


    Create System Restore Point in Windows 10

    Right click run as administrator > select #2 resets widows updates components.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 19041.1
    Thread Starter
       #7

    zbook said:
    See:
    Download Reset Windows Update Tool - MajorGeeks


    Create System Restore Point in Windows 10

    Right click run as administrator > select #2 resets widows updates components.
    TY, zbook. I was looking at Major Geeks tools last night. I liked how they have ways to avoid updates. I'll eventually master that, taking control of all future updates.

    Since you mention them, I'll take it that it's a good site and I'll try their update-reset next. Do you think it's helpful to run their troubleshooter first? What the heck, I'll just try their troubleshooter and see. My Windows Update Troubleshooter will not start.
    Download Windows Update Troubleshooter - MajorGeeks

    I guess I'll once again allocate even more memory to Restore Points, too.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 38,354
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #8

    Please run:



    Tuneup.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.



    LOGS.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.



    V2 and DM:

    BSOD - Posting Instructions
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 54
    Windows 10 19041.1
    Thread Starter
       #9

    zbook said:
    Please run:
    TY, I'll do those once I know that I can successfully restore from a Macrium system image. (My Reflect rescue CD won't boot.)
      My Computer

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,071
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #10

    Bob1212 said:
    TY, I'll do those once I know that I can successfully restore from a Macrium system image. (My Reflect rescue CD won't boot.)
    When you made your Rescue Image, if you also added it as a Boot Menu option, it should boot from there into the Rescue Environment, where you could do a test restore to make sure you can. If for some reason you did not add it as a Boot Menu option, you can go back into Macrium under the Build Rescue Media option and add it to the Boot Menu in the tick box at the bottom.

    Then, re-do your CD, or preferably, a thumb drive.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums