Missing Partitions Found. Should I Try To Restore Them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
       #1

    Missing Partitions Found. Should I Try To Restore Them? (Solved)


    Using another, now closed thread, with the usual fine assistance offered here, I have since restoring the new motherboard and ssd, found that three of the six partitions in the Macrium Reflect full backup used for the restoration did not get installed. Other than that, everything seems, so far, to have been restored properly.

    I have no idea why that was; however, I have found that there is an option in the Restore function of Reflect to restore individual partitions. I am not about to do that if it is going to cause problems, which is why I am asking about that here.

    Meanwhile, I am awaiting a reply from Dell in my on-going email thread about the repair, etc., told them about the three missing partitions, if their not being installed is a problem and if so, how they recommend installing them. (Recently, Dell added some type of backup to Support Assist, which I have never looked at, so don't know if using it can do what Reflect can, and, if so, Dell recommends doing it that way.)
    Last edited by Not Myself; 08 Mar 2021 at 11:40.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 4,187
    Windows 11 Pro, 22H2
       #2

    With Macrium Reflect, you can mount a backed up partition to a drive letter. This would allow you to poke around to see what was on those partitions and even copy off any data that you might need.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    hsehestedt said:
    With Macrium Reflect, you can mount a backed up partition to a drive letter. This would allow you to poke around to see what was on those partitions and even copy off any data that you might need.
    I know what they are, at least by name:

    1. Winretools 2. Image (None) NTSF) 3. Dell Support

    They have always been there since I started using this computer last May. Why they did not get installed when I used a Macrium Reflect Full Backup, I don't know. I created the backup created a few days before the hard disk and ssd were replaced, which I certainly hope will stop the crashes caused by the bios (or whatever) losing track of the boot order. This malady started not too long after starting to use the computer; Dell tried very hard to fix it through remote support sessions, decided finally to do the replacement.

    A short time ago, before starting this thread, I assigned number 1. to G:, and took a quick look at it; it contains all sorts of wonderful things, where "wonderful" is a synonym for "I have not any idea what any of this is."
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 13,989
    Win10 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home, Win7, Linux Mint
       #4

    Three partitions seem to be normal with a new or clean install of Win10 but if doing an Upgrade from an earlier version of Windows usually have more. This is what I have on a Dell I got several years ago new with Win8.x then later upgraded to Win10:
    Missing Partitions Found. Should I Try To Restore Them?-image.png
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 11,627
    Windows11 Home 64bit v:23H2 b:22631.3374
       #5

    Sorry if I haven't quite understood what you have stated in your first post.

    1. When the technician installed the new SSD, was it blank, or it came with the factory installed OS? If the OS was already installed, you have to necessarily complete OOBE and set it up as if you got a new Dell PC. Do you remember it was it?

    2. If the replaced SSD came with Factory installed OS, then it would have necessarily come with the WinRE Tools, Image and Dell support Partitions. Did you see it?

    3. Whether the original SSD and the replaced SSD are identical in all respects - atleast capacity wise??

    4. You were advised - if I am correct - a full disk image before the technician arrived. Are you sure you did it? The full disk image should have contained, the 1.ESP 2. MSR 3. C: 4. WinRE tools 5. Image and 6 Dell Support. Are you sure you did it by selecting all? Did you check all six partitions were checked for backup?

    5. If you had done it so, there is absolutely no chance for the Macrium Restore to miss the last three partitions.

    My screenshot:

    Missing Partitions Found. Should I Try To Restore Them?-08-03-2021-09-51-52.jpg

    OK, this was with MR run from within Windows.

    If I image running MR with its WinPE rescue media - my preferred method - then I click on "Image selected drives on the computer" , deselect all the unwanted data partitions ( which are seperately backed up with Syncback free) leaving only the other six partitions to be backed up.
    Last edited by jumanji; 08 Mar 2021 at 02:28.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #6

    jumanji said:
    Sorry if I haven't quite understood what you have stated in your first post.

    1. When the technician installed the new SSD, was it blank, or it came with the factory installed OS? If the OS was already installed, you have to necessarily complete OOBE and set it up as if you got a new Dell PC. Do you remember it was it?

    2. If the replaced SSD came with Factory installed OS, then it would have necessarily come with the WinRE Tools, Image and Dell support Partitions. Did you see it?

    3. Whether the original SSD and the replaced SSD are identical in all respects - atleast capacity wise??

    4. You were advised - if I am correct - a full disk image before the technician arrived. Are you sure you did it? The full disk image should have contained, the 1.ESP 2. MSR 3. C: 4. WinRE tools 5. Image and 6 Dell Support. Are you sure you did it by selecting all? Did you check all six partitions were checked for backup?

    5. If you had done it so, there is absolutely no chance for the Macrium Restore to miss the last three partitions.

    My screenshot:

    Missing Partitions Found. Should I Try To Restore Them?-08-03-2021-09-51-52.jpg

    OK, this was with MR run from within Windows.

    If I image running MR with its WinPE rescue media - my preferred method - then I click on "Image selected drives on the computer" , deselect all the unwanted data partitions ( which are seperately backed up with Syncback free) leaving only the other six partitions to be backed up.
    Thanks for joining in.

    1. Windows was installed. I don't know what OOBE is, but I do know that when the tech left, the computer was installing a large number of files that it said would have been on the computer when it left the factory.

    2. I don't know if the three partitions now missing were there before I ran the Macrium Reflect Full Backup.

    3. Old and new SSDs were/are the same size.

    4. Just to be certain, I again opened the full backup; all six partitions are checked for backup.

    5 Perhaps Macrium could not miss the last three partitions, but I just looked at the full backup that ran after I had run the one I used to restore my files, etc., and only the first three partitions are shown. That is why I believe that they were not restored; are they hiding somewhere, or were they not restored?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #7

    In your first post, you state:

    "found that three of the six partitions in the Macrium Reflect full backup used for the restoration did not get installed."

    In your most recent post, you state:

    "I don't know if the three partitions now missing were there before I ran the Macrium Reflect Full Backup."

    Does the first statement contradict the second?

    Or do I misunderstand?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #8

    ignatzatsonic said:
    In your first post, you state:

    "found that three of the six partitions in the Macrium Reflect full backup used for the restoration did not get installed."

    In your most recent post, you state:

    "I don't know if the three partitions now missing were there before I ran the Macrium Reflect Full Backup."

    Does the first statement contradict the second?

    Or do I misunderstand?
    There is no contradiction: I was answering your question.:

    "2. If the replaced SSD came with Factory installed OS, then it would have necessarily come with the WinRE Tools, Image and Dell support Partitions. Did you see it? "

    In other words, I did not look at the ssd partitions that were there before I ran my full backup.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 2,487
    Windows 10 Home, 64-bit
       #9

    Not Myself said:
    There is no contradiction: I was answering your question.:

    "2. If the replaced SSD came with Factory installed OS, then it would have necessarily come with the WinRE Tools, Image and Dell support Partitions. Did you see it? "

    In other words, I did not look at the ssd partitions that were there before I ran my full backup.
    Apparently, you have been misinformed.

    I am not Jumanji.

    I had not previously asked you ANYTHING.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 651
    Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
    Thread Starter
       #10

    ignatzatsonic said:
    Apparently, you have been misinformed.

    I am not Jumanji.

    I had not previously asked you ANYTHING.
    I was not misinformed, I was "misread". That is, I saw the link, logged on, replied, without taking a moment to see who had posted the reply. However, the intent of my `misreply' was correct.

    At least I believe that this reply is correct.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums