Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)


  1. Posts : 127
    W10 Pro, 64
       #1

    Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)


    I cloned my C drive onto a USB external drive (J) with Macrium, choosing Clone.

    As shown, this was done, and I had an extra 240GB free.

    But my computer won't boot when I select both the USB 3 drive option, and also when I select the USB Widows Boot option.

    What have I done wrong?

    Thanks.

    Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)-untitled.jpg
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,407
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    First, we need to see what partitions are really on disk 5. Open a command prompt with admin privileges and run:
    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 5
    list part
    exit
    exit
    Post the results. Then you will need to assign a drive letter to the 100 MB EFI System partition on disk 5:

    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 5
    select part # <-replace # with the actual number for the EFI System Partition
    assign letter=w
    exit
    exit
    Then you will need to write the proper BCD to the EFI System Partition:

    Code:
    bcdboot J:\Windows /s W: /f UEFI
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 127
    W10 Pro, 64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    First, we need to see what partitions are really on disk 5. Open a command prompt with admin privileges and run:
    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 5
    list part
    exit
    exit
    Post the results. Then you will need to assign a drive letter to the 100 MB EFI System partition on disk 5:

    Code:
    diskpart
    select disk 5
    select part # <-replace # with the actual number for the EFI System Partition
    assign letter=w
    exit
    exit
    Then you will need to write the proper BCD to the EFI System Partition:

    Code:
    bcdboot J:\Windows /s W: /f UEFI
    Cloned Drive Won't Boot (Windows 10)-untitled-2.jpg
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 18,407
    Windows 11 Pro
       #4

    So it should be partition 2 in the commands listed.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 127
    W10 Pro, 64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    NavyLCDR said:
    So it should be partition 2 in the commands listed.
    I get an error, saying the operating system failed to start. Should I re-do the clone? It's confusing why a cloned drive doesn't really mean a clone, needing commands as u have instructed.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18,407
    Windows 11 Pro
       #6

    It's probably because you are trying to boot from a USB external drive. You can do a clean install to the USB drive and run Windows from it. But I think taking Windows already installed on an internal drive and trying to move that to an external drive is problematic.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 127
    W10 Pro, 64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    NavyLCDR said:
    It's probably because you are trying to boot from a USB external drive. You can do a clean install to the USB drive and run Windows from it. But I think taking Windows already installed on an internal drive and trying to move that to an external drive is problematic.
    so it matters that the SSD is connected via USB vs a SATA connection?
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 18,407
    Windows 11 Pro
       #8

    jimlau said:
    so it matters that the SSD is connected via USB vs a SATA connection?
    Yes.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:18.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums