Can i restore my Windows 10 Image Craeted with Macrium Reflect to my


  1. Posts : 45
    windows 10 pro
       #1

    Can i restore my Windows 10 Image Craeted with Macrium Reflect to my


    new Samsung nvme Drive ?
    i originally Created the Image for my Windows 10 which was running on my Samsung 850 evo ssd 250 gb
    but now i bought a 500 gb nvme and i want to use it as my OS Drive

    will it cause any problems ?
    will Windows knows that it is a new Drive ?
    or do you recommend a fresh Install Instead ?
    i did a fresh install 7 days ago for my Windows 10 and install all of my programs before buying my new nvme drive
    I don't want to do it again
      My Computer

  2. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,350
    Mac OS Catalina
       #2

    Backup software cares less of the drive that it is being backed up or restored ro as long as it fits.
      My Computers

  3. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,691
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    yafatana said:
    i originally Created the Image for my Windows 10 which was running on my Samsung 850 evo ssd 250 gb
    but now i bought a 500 gb nvme and i want to use it as my OS Drive
    You are just changing the drive? This image was created on this machine? If so then it should work fine. I made a Macrium image of my dying HDD to replace it with an SSD. Once restored to your new SSD you may want to expand the partition to include the extra unallocated space.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 45
    windows 10 pro
    Thread Starter
       #4

    bro67 said:
    Backup software cares less of the drive that it is being backed up or restored ro as long as it fits.
    thanks
    1-but what about Windows it doesn't care also because it is a new drive ?
    2-also do you recommend me to restore that image I already created to my new nvme or better to clone my old ssd to my nvme using a cloning software ?
      My Computer

  5. bro67's Avatar
    Posts : 8,350
    Mac OS Catalina
       #5

    Clone with adjusted partition size of the drives are different in sizes. Yes, the restore software only cares that the image will fit and that is it.
      My Computers

  6. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,691
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #6

    yafatana said:
    1-but what about Windows it doesn't care also because it is a new drive ?

    Windows 10 can easily adapt to finding itself on completely new hardware and load the drivers required, just changing the drive should be no problem for it. As for activation and your digital licence, the drive plays no part in the hardware ID that is linked to the digital licence.

    2-also do you recommend me to restore that image I already created to my new nvme or better to clone my old ssd to my nvme using a cloning software ?

    Either should work equally well, I restored an image.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 116
    W10
       #7

    yafatana said:
    new Samsung nvme Drive ?
    i originally Created the Image for my Windows 10 which was running on my Samsung 850 evo ssd 250 gb
    but now i bought a 500 gb nvme and i want to use it as my OS Drive

    will it cause any problems ?
    will Windows knows that it is a new Drive ?
    or do you recommend a fresh Install Instead ?
    i did a fresh install 7 days ago for my Windows 10 and install all of my programs before buying my new nvme drive
    I don't want to do it again
    I did exactly this on one of my PC's, 850 EVO to 970 EVO. First boot failed but second boot worked fine. No problems after that.
    You will be good.
    No need to do another fresh install.
    Last edited by jonnied12; 07 Feb 2020 at 10:10. Reason: Added info
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums